Formula One 2016

JasonM

F1 is not a team sport. Just because some drivers drive the same cars and wear the same uniform does not mean they are a team in the traditional sense. Any driver on that grid would have done exactly as Lewis did in that situation.

Great finish, pleased for Rosberg.

Edited by Twist

Yeah, I am a little irate towards Hamilton for not even trying to make it look like a race for most of the second half. And his radio comments really got to me too. But I guess it is what every other driver would've done in such a scenario.

Although it would've shown a bit more class if he had stopped doing it in the final lap and accepted he wasn't going to become a champion this time around. The game is the game, ultimately, but he's still a massive petulant prick.

In the end though, extremely elated to see Rosberg pick up the WDC, he's deserved it this season and he's been consistent all year long, and he's shown to be WDC material all season long. As people have said, you don't become champion by accident.

It is easy to pick the two lowest moments for each driver and then call it even, but it has always been much more than that. And Lewis has always had a 'Me and nobody else' mentality since the moment he debuted at McLaren, which is fine when you're in a race, but he never switches that mentality off.

Rosberg tossed a hat last year, and he got ground into dust by the media for doing it. But after that moment of immaturity he went onto the podium, and gave credit where it was due, because Hamilton had won the race and clinched the championship and Rosberg praised and congratulated the man on the achievement.

Lewis lost the title, and after doing all he can in the race (Which really, anyone would've done), he done none of that. He got the microphone on the podium, and he did his usual schtick of praising the fans and talking his little talk, but he never congratulated Nico on becoming the 2017 WDC. Because Lewis simply cannot stand the fact there's someone else ahead of him.

And not just this race, or last year. But this has been going on for years and years where Lewis acts like an angry child and refuses to give credit where it is due, forcing the attention on him regardless if it is good or bad attention. And of course, he'll get chastised by the team for his actions both during and around the race, and he'll say his thing to the media, but it's not those moments that define a man.

Rosberg has had his moments of weakness, but he's always shown the decorum and graciousness to accept that he wasn't the best in the situations. And even when he won, he reserved praise for the people around him. Lewis, not so much. And it really didn't help Lewis either when he 'promised' earlier in the week that he would drive a clean and honest race, even if Nico was trailing him, which just makes him come across as massively two-faced.

And the fact we're in an era where there are two drivers on one team actively contending for the drivers title, it certainly makes everything even tougher, since both guys are winners with their respective ego's, and Mercedes on the other hand cares only for the 1-2 regardless, and as Toto said in a post-race interview with Sky, Merc only told Hamilton to get on with it because Vettel/Max getting closer threatened a perfect end of the season for the team.

Of course, it really doesn't matter ultimately, since both guys never have and won't ever truly like each other. And next year we're gonna get even more fireworks between them as the competition starts to close back in on them. Personally, i'm biased, since I rooted for Rosberg to win it. I don't blame Lewis for trying what he had to try to become WDC, but I will continue to dislike his pettiness outside of the track.

• Like 2

Cried when Jenson got out of the car a little bit.

Coudn't sit down for the last 6/7 laps.

So, so happy for Nico. Always liked him since he debuted. I don't blame Lewis for what he did, because at the end of the day you have to do whatever it takes to win the title. Was it unsportsmanlike? Yes. But in comparison to some of the stupid stuff Lewis has pulled out before, I don't really have a problem with this one.

(Also, there's a picture that does indeed show Lewis hugged Nico before they got to the podium room)

EDIT: Gutierrez post-race radio. I kinda feel bad for him now.

EDIT2: So, Vettel said over the radio at the end of the race that Lewis was trying "dirty tricks". Part of me thinks that he purposefully didn't try and overtake Nico on the last lap when he probably could have.

Edited by Katsuya loves Oslo

2 hours ago, LUKIE said:

I think it was telling when Hamilton said "I won't win the championship so I don't care if I win or lose".

He's like a fucking child.

He's trying to win the World Championship. In his position everyone would do the same thing.

1 hour ago, Jasonmufc said:

It is easy to pick the two lowest moments for each driver and then call it even, but it has always been much more than that. And Lewis has always had a 'Me and nobody else' mentality since the moment he debuted at McLaren, which is fine when you're in a race, but he never switches that mentality off.

Rosberg tossed a hat last year, and he got ground into dust by the media for doing it. But after that moment of immaturity he went onto the podium, and gave credit where it was due, because Hamilton had won the race and clinched the championship and Rosberg praised and congratulated the man on the achievement.

Lewis lost the title, and after doing all he can in the race (Which really, anyone would've done), he done none of that. He got the microphone on the podium, and he did his usual schtick of praising the fans and talking his little talk, but he never congratulated Nico on becoming the 2017 WDC. Because Lewis simply cannot stand the fact there's someone else ahead of him.

And not just this race, or last year. But this has been going on for years and years where Lewis acts like an angry child and refuses to give credit where it is due, forcing the attention on him regardless if it is good or bad attention. And of course, he'll get chastised by the team for his actions both during and around the race, and he'll say his thing to the media, but it's not those moments that define a man.

Rosberg has had his moments of weakness, but he's always shown the decorum and graciousness to accept that he wasn't the best in the situations. And even when he won, he reserved praise for the people around him. Lewis, not so much. And it really didn't help Lewis either when he 'promised' earlier in the week that he would drive a clean and honest race, even if Nico was trailing him, which just makes him come across as massively two-faced.

And the fact we're in an era where there are two drivers on one team actively contending for the drivers title, it certainly makes everything even tougher, since both guys are winners with their respective ego's, and Mercedes on the other hand cares only for the 1-2 regardless, and as Toto said in a post-race interview with Sky, Merc only told Hamilton to get on with it because Vettel/Max getting closer threatened a perfect end of the season for the team.

Of course, it really doesn't matter ultimately, since both guys never have and won't ever truly like each other. And next year we're gonna get even more fireworks between them as the competition starts to close back in on them. Personally, i'm biased, since I rooted for Rosberg to win it. I don't blame Lewis for trying what he had to try to become WDC, but I will continue to dislike his pettiness outside of the track.

He did congratulate Nico, several times.

Lewis has been gracious in defeat, he congratulated Nico on becoming champion, turned up for all of the photos and has conducted several interviews. Not sure what everyone wants him to do? Bow down at his feet?

Lewis Hamilton has and always will be a petulant arse. It does this particular trait no favours that he is genuinely one of the fastest around, but nevermind.

I'm very pleased Rosberg finally won the World Title. He's a good bloke, slogged it on the grid for years and won 9 races this season. He definitely deserves it. Hats off to him, thrown or otherwise.

• Like 1