Formula One 2016

JasonM

Apparently, Stroll is confirmed as the Williams No. 2, but they can't announce it until he's 18 because it won't look good for Martini.

The Ocon/Wehrlein thing is awkward too. Mercedes want Wehrlein promoted first, but Force India think that Ocon is quicker from their testing data. 

Seems a tad harsh, isn't he 5th in the GP2 series? Plus, there's loads of pay drivers in and around F1, it's hardly a sport for noble* laymen.

*Noble in the moral sense, not the English upper class sense. Or the West Ham midfielder sense.

Oh I agree, but I've always had it out for King more than most because British drivers have mostly not been pay drivers and every opportunity he's had (including an hour long documentary on Sky covering his career, all two years of it) are because he has the financial advantages.

It's possible I might be more annoyed because of the changes to the Nectar Points scheme in recent years. <_<

Personally I don't think Merc is gonna allow Ocon to make a jump up the grid just yet, not before Wehrlein at the very least. They seem very strict on that matter, and the reason Ocon is even in the sport right now is because Haryanto's sponsorship fell through, else he had been a clear 2017 rookie.

Force India obviously want Ocon over Wehrlein, because they feel Ocon has the bigger upside. But I think it's not their choice to make, and if they want a sweet Mercedes deal on the ICE's, they'll no doubt will end up with Pascal ahead of anyone else. Kvyat and Palmer I can't see drum up the funds to offer the same sort of financial gains that Wehrlein could bring.

• Admin

McLaren chief Ron Dennis is set to leave his role as chairman and CEO of McLaren Group, Autosport can reveal.

Dennis, 69, will not have his current contract renewed when it expires at the end of this year.

His departure will end an association with the Formula 1 team stretching back to 1980 and leave open the role of CEO, McLaren Technology Group, which comprises McLaren Racing, McLaren Marketing and McLaren Applied Technologies.

McLaren Automotive, the separately-constituted road car division, is not affected by any change of leadership at McLaren Technology Group.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126728/ron-dennis-set-to-leave-mclaren-top-job

8 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Blimey. I'd suggest that if he doesn't impress in the fly-away races though, Gasly will oust him still.

do you mean at the end of this season or start of next?

It might help people buy in to the rumours that not everyone at Red Bull is a huge fan of Gasly though...

Be interesting to see if that gearbox thing he complained about plays up again or if it was just a one-off issue for him. If he retires with it, does it look bad on Mercedes for not just taking a 5 place penalty and having him at least score some points?

Also, in "well this isn't what I'd want", apparently Nasr is now most likely to go to Force India thanks to his money and Bernie pushing it so he can have a Brazilian driver on the grid. Bring back Rubens if you want that <_<

Yeah, with the 'Verstappen Rule' (18+ and 40 superlicense points) in play teams have a MUCH harder time filling up their seats, and I guess it shows that Red Bull retains Kvyat rather than going with Gasly, despite the latter having the required points. But after Gasly, who do they have in the system, nobody of note.

And for all the other teams, especially the the lower midpack it means that they can't take on untalented moneybags and need to work with the talent that actually are permitted to join. So the only moneybag drivers that are available are the ones grandfathered in, or the ones that have proven themselves by getting the points required.

And it's an interesting development to say the least, and will provide a certain job security for the guys already on the grid. Since the group of superlicensee's will be a lot smaller and more exclusive as a result.

On the flipside, it'll turn the lower teams into effective feeders for the big boys. Haas for Ferrari, Manor for Mercedes, Sauber for whoever wants to throw money at them. Because for them it'll be the only way to really make ends meet if they can't sign every random Venezuelan with oil backing them.

24 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

That podium was great with Gerard Butler, although that poor Mercedes girl chose the wrong day to wear a black bra.

Race was so-so, it is kinda amusing that Danny Ric's race was pretty much inadvertently ruined by his team-mate.

Sky were doing everything they could to, in some way, make it seem like Max parked there to deliberately fuck Ricciardo's race up, which was stupid.

The only way it would have made sense - arguably - is if Red Bull tried to bring it out at a time when Ricciardo could have got the free pit stop, not Mercedes.

Max's issue was gearbox, apparently, whilst Kimi's was because the wheel wasn't properly on.