Formula One 2016

JasonM

It's also going to bring back the 2014 style 'what corner?' kind of downforce, where the Red Bull's just went flat out through 130R without a second of lift. And it can be argued that the new wider tyres, wings, and cars will make that even more extreme than it was in the late V8 era.

I fully expect Red Bull Racing to be the bonafide #2 next year, challenging for wins on a weekly basis. Red Bull has always had the edge in downforce, even compared to Ferrari and Mercedes. And these rule changes advantage them the greatest.

Oh I cannot wait to hear what Vettel is going to say after the race, particularly given what he's said during it (including telling Charlie Whiting to fuck off). The last few laps with Max, Vettel and Danny Ric was fantastic stuff.

Aww, I was hoping they'd usher Seb into the podium room at the same time as Max and they could fight over the 3rd place cap.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Katsuya loves Oslo said:

I mean...Max did cut the corner, but he didn't actually do anything to Vettel. Seb's acting like he tried to run him off the road or something and was getting way too annoyed by it, which then got him wound up with Ricciardo.

Well he got an advantage by cutting the corner, you don't need to affect the other racer directly to be in the wrong. But heck, if people gave away penalties for cutting T1, Hulkenberg would've ended up on the podium...

And honestly, what Max did was obviously wrong and against the rules. But at the same time it was downright magnificient for Max to slow down and hold up Vettel so that Ricciardo could try and overtake him in the final stretch. So I fully felt this was a calculated move by Max rather than him just being petulant. It's brilliant dickery, of Schumacheresque proportions.

Either way, i'm gonna expect Red Bull to challenge the rules to make sure Vettel gets a penalty after doing an illegal move on Ricc earlier in the race. So this is only going to get more salient, I feel.

EDIT: Naughty Vettel being a bit of a hypocrit... https://my.mixtape.moe/wcitug.mp4

EDIT2: The biggest issue really is that FOM looks like shit after this race. Hamilton and Rosberg cut T1 earlier in the race, and got away with it. Vettel turned into Ricciardo far into a braking zone and got away with it (despite giving Ricc a gigantic flat spot). Max cuts T1 to keep ahead of Vettel, who launches a expletive-laden tirade on the radio directly aimed at race-director Charlie Whiting, and they go out of their way to remove Verstappen from the podium ceremony and put Vettel there.

They've always been overly flexible with the rules, depending on who the person was breaking them. But this race they really made themselves look foolish and set some pretty terrible precedents in the process.

Again, not saying Max shouldn't have been penalized, because he should've, but you need equal measures.

Edited by Jasonmufc

39 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Well he got an advantage by cutting the corner, you don't need to affect the other racer directly to be in the wrong. But heck, if people gave away penalties for cutting T1, Hulkenberg would've ended up on the podium...

And honestly, what Max did was obviously wrong and against the rules. But at the same time it was downright magnificient for Max to slow down and hold up Vettel so that Ricciardo could try and overtake him in the final stretch. So I fully felt this was a calculated move by Max rather than him just being petulant. It's brilliant dickery, of Schumacheresque proportions.

Either way, i'm gonna expect Red Bull to challenge the rules to make sure Vettel gets a penalty after doing an illegal move on Ricc earlier in the race. So this is only going to get more salient, I feel.

EDIT: Naughty Vettel being a bit of a hypocrit... https://my.mixtape.moe/wcitug.mp4

EDIT2: The biggest issue really is that FOM looks like shit after this race. Hamilton and Rosberg cut T1 earlier in the race, and got away with it. Vettel turned into Ricciardo far into a braking zone and got away with it (despite giving Ricc a gigantic flat spot). Max cuts T1 to keep ahead of Vettel, who launches a expletive-laden tirade on the radio directly aimed at race-director Charlie Whiting, and they go out of their way to remove Verstappen from the podium ceremony and put Vettel there.

They've always been overly flexible with the rules, depending on who the person was breaking them. But this race they really made themselves look foolish and set some pretty terrible precedents in the process.

Again, not saying Max shouldn't have been penalized, because he should've, but you need equal measures.

I think the bigger issue is really that it's unfair to penalise Max and not Lewis in this situation, because they both did pretty much the same thing. Rosberg got hit off the track more than anything else, I'd say, so I wouldn't say he really gained anything from what happened with Max early on.

Also, did they ever replay what happened with Hulk and Kimi? I mean Kimi was always going to take that place anyway, but I wonder if he caused Hulk to spin?

As expected, called what was gonna happen. The fact Vettel fought for this rule after Japan, and now broke it himself made it even more egregious. And i'm sure they added 5 seconds because of his little tirade on the radio, since attacking race direction is thoroughly unprofessional.

FIA's bouncing ball of justice at least removed some of the controversy.

What kind of annoys me the most about it is how the stewards/FIA also fucked up with the podium stuff. I've never, ever seen a "investigated after the race" literally be done within 2 minutes of the cars reaching parc ferme/the podium. It really felt like they panicked, thought they'd get more flak if they didn't give Seb the podium, then when they went back and did their work properly and gave Seb the penalty, it meant the podium was wrong anyway.

• Like 1

...huh.

So, Magnussen replaced Gutierrez at Haas, even though Renault belatedly tried to keep him. So instead, Renault have now kept Palmer, who earlier today was said to be going to Force India, which presumably now means Ocon or Nasr will end up there? Talk about a confusing day.

Wouldn't be too shocked to see Gutierrez back at Sauber for the Ferrari side of things.

41 minutes ago, Katsuya loves Oslo said:

...huh.

So, Magnussen replaced Gutierrez at Haas, even though Renault belatedly tried to keep him. So instead, Renault have now kept Palmer, who earlier today was said to be going to Force India, which presumably now means Ocon or Nasr will end up there? Talk about a confusing day.

Wouldn't be too shocked to see Gutierrez back at Sauber for the Ferrari side of things.

It was a bad day to stop sniffing glue...

Either way, I can't blame K-Mag for seeking certainty at Haas, and maybe they promised him something more than Renault can give him as a second driver behind The Hulk... Although I don't see Haas going further than Renault in the coming seasons, so it must've been some sort of multi-year deal.

Nasr going to FI would be great for their bankroll, but by all accounts Sauber has been playing dirty and 'keeping him down' to ensure he resigns at Sauber, despite his sponsors pushing him onto the open market. But there is still the matter of them needing to secure the cheaper Merc engines for next season, and that would mean either Ocon or Wehrlein taking place in the second seat. And Merc has made it clear that it has to be Wehrlein, whilst Force India feels they only want Ocon and not Wehrlein.

Either way, I need a spreadsheet to understand what's going on...

Force India have got their way, Ocon signed.

Grid more or less complete, then.

Mercedes - Rosberg / Hamilton
Ferrari - Vettel / Raikkonen
Red Bull - Verstappen / Ricciardo
Force India - Perez / Ocon
Williams - Bottas / Stroll
McLaren - Alonso / Vandoorne
Toro Rosso - Sainz Jr. / Kvyat
Renault - Hulkenberg / Palmer
Haas - Grosjean / Magnussen
Sauber - (Ericsson) / ???
Manor - (Wehrlein) / ???