The scary thing about the Cubs is that Theo could take the entire winter off and still have the best team in the NL heading into 2017.  Fowler and Chapman are the only players they might lose to free agency, everybody else is signed or not even into arbitration years yet.  Oh and they won 103 games in the regular season without Schwarber, so it's gonna be like they signed a big time bat in the offseason anyway.

Everyone in the UK can be proud of Cleveland for finishing second. The people of Middlesborough and Hartlepool salute you.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Handsome Luchadore said:

Once Srar pops back in prepare for a whuppin' the AMERICAN WAY. 

But seriously, how in the almighty fuck do you cram 103 games into a season? I love sport, but how the fuck do you watch that much?

• Like 2

Very few people actually are able to sit down and watch all 162 games their team plays.  That's not only a massive time investment but day games during working hours are also fairly prevalent (especially on Thursdays).  If your goal is to watch all 162 you essentially need to book your entire summer around baseball.

If I can't watch a game, I'll quickly check a couple of the Mets beat reporters I follow on Twitter so I can get score updates now and then.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, MDK said:

But seriously, how in the almighty fuck do you cram 103 games into a season? I love sport, but how the fuck do you watch that much?

But I don't. Usually catch them on the weekends when I am Michigan. Typically on the radio in my parents backyard when we BBQ.

I sit down and watch baseball pretty much every night from April to October. I'm a homebody, that hardly ever goes out. If you're a social person then it's pretty much impossible to catch 162 games, but at the same time it's not necessary either. If you can watch two or three games a week of your boys then you're doing a very good job.

• Like 2

I'm much more of a background baseball guy. I'll put a game on, either TV or the radio, and do whatever else I have to do in life while it's on. The pace allows for replays of all the important moments anyway, so I never really miss anything. Being in school it's great for the monotonous homework assignments.

However socially, baseball is an excellent sport. You can sit around with friends, chat, and enjoy the game. Something most other sports don't afford you. You're too invested in the action on the field to really enjoy your time together.

And we don't get a lot of it, but do-or-die baseball games are just simply the best. The wild card games, while wildly unfair, are so thrilling. And then any time we get a game 6 or game 7 there's a guarantee one team is facing elimination, which heightens the drama.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cloudy said:

WGN. Cubs games would air in the afternoon in the spring/summer/fall, and I'd come home and watch the Cubs play after school, or in the summer or during breaks when nothing else was on TV in the afternoon. The two teams I got to watch play most often were the Cubs, and, because of TBS, the Braves. 

Same exact reason I like the Cubs, but the Reds are still my main team. I cannot stand the Braves, because their in title hunt or World Series run broke me. The chanting and tomahawk chop motion make me want to hurl now.

I grew up watching the late great Harry Caray call the Cubs games and lead the crowd in singing `Take Me Out To The Ballgame' during the 7th inning stretch, and I'd like to think he was up there in Heaven with a wide grin on his face when the game ended.

*edited to add* I hope the Indians do snap their streak eventually. And I'll be cheering for them to do so, as long as they're not playing the Reds or its an Indians-Cubs rematch. (But I'm hoping for Red Sox-Cubs next year. My favorite AL team vs. second favorite NL. Sadly I don't see the Reds being good enough to even make the playoffs for at least a couple more years.)

Edited by GhostMachine

I'm not even a Cubs fan and I felt like I was on such a high from watching that game, it took forever for me to fall asleep.

Confession:  as Chapman was entering in the 8th the thought ended up crossing my mind "I really want the Cubs to win, but I'd love for Cleveland to somehow tie it first just to make it even crazier"

Of course, it was a throwaway thought but when Rajai Davis of all people actually tied it I just thought "Oh god...what have I done?"

• Like 2