Premier League 2016/17

Lineker

22 minutes ago, Nerf said:

That was my thinking. Legally, they'd probably have a case, but my god the backlash they'd endure.

Really? Surely hush money can't be legally binding? Paging EWB lawyers...

2 hours ago, Colly said:

Really? Surely hush money can't be legally binding? Paging EWB lawyers...

Maybe it'd be slightly skewed by the fact a crime has been committed, but otherwise would it not be similar to any other NDA? You could argue it's not hush money as much as it's about not dragging the club's name through the mud along with the accusations.

It's the fact that a crime has been committed and if it's in the public interest to prosecute would be the two things to consider.  Plus if he had signed any legal documents. 

Hypothetically,  Chelsea would have to be pretty fucking stupid to try and get any money back and I couldn't see them having any luck.  

You cannot pay someone to keep something illegal hidden, no. That would be an invalid contract - if @MDK witnessed me vandalize @Colly's house by drawing a huge dick on it, MDK cannot later say he couldn't go to the police because he signed the contract. I also can't sue MDK for talking to the police and rely on the commission of the crime as my reason for wanting my money back.

There are issues in this case from what I see - firstly, the NDA will not explicitly state to what they want to keep quiet. NDAs are always vague because why would you explicitly state in a written document what you want to keep secret? He may be breaching the NDA by broadly talking about his time with the club that is unrelated to the alleged crime. 

Two, none of this is proven factually - he never went to the police and made these claims. The football club could pursue him for the money (stating he broke the NDA broadly speaking) or sue him for defamation (more likely the club would do this if this if the allegations are not true).

Thirdly, this all apparently happened so long ago that nothing legally will come about because of it. It's unlikely anyone will sue or pursue anyone for something that happened dozens of years ago. Lawsuits drag on and each time something occurs, it's reported on and it's terrible PR. The football club won't sue him (if I was there lawyer).

2 minutes ago, RPS said:

You cannot pay someone to keep something illegal hidden, no. That would be an invalid contract - if @MDK witnessed me vandalize @Colly's house by drawing a huge song on it, MDK cannot later say he couldn't go to the police because he signed the contract. I also can't sue MDK for talking to the police and rely on the commission of the crime as my reason for wanting my money back.

I'm assuming you meant dong. Because drawing showtunes on the side of my house would be even gayer. 

• Like 6

You quoted my pre-edit! I was on the bus to the office and it auto-corrected dong to song. I didn't chance it and changed it to dick! 

• Like 1

I don't think I have ever expressed this before on EWB, but despite being a very positive person there is one thing that I 100% know for a fact is objectively a bad thing. And that is Katy Perry. 

So if you want me to spray paint the only thing in this world that I 100% know is a bad thing onto your house... I can do it. 

(In the process of writing this post, I realized that Donald Trump is also 100% objectively a bad thing, but the point still stands)

34 minutes ago, MDK said:

Hang on, something I have only just noticed is that this clause was made in 2015. 

Yeah I don't get how that fits in with the "in the last three years" part. Presumably if there was a settlement, the paying of the money and the confidentiality clause would have happened at the same time? Maybe the "last three years" bit in the opening paragraph is just unnecessarily vague and they mean 2015. I dunno.

And not to make the above string of posts about the legality/stupidity of Chelsea 'trying to get their money back' moot, but the article quoted above says "Chelsea had waived the confidentiality clause in Johnson’s settlement" - suggesting that the club (finally) let him speak rather than Johnson breaking the clause himself.

3 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Yeah I don't get how that fits in with the "in the last three years" part. Presumably if there was a settlement, the paying of the money and the confidentiality clause would have happened at the same time? Maybe the "last three years" bit is just pointlessly vague and they mean 2015. I dunno.

And not to make the above string of posts about the legality/stupidity of Chelsea 'trying to get their money back' and such, but the article quoted above says "which reported that Chelsea had waived the confidentiality clause in Johnson’s settlement" - suggesting that the club (finally) let him speak rather than Johnson breaking the clause himself.

Maybe they meant seasons. 14/15, 15/16 and 16/17 :shifty:

It still feels weird to say, but I'm so thankful for how assured David Luiz is at the back these days.

Meanwhile once again Gary Cahill is being targeted at the LCB position. Seems like he's the obvious weak link for everyone (or maybe it's just a compliment to the wonder that is Azpilicueta).

Oh sure, City play on when Aguero's down, but when Moses is down and Chelsea are asked to play on, suddenly it's an outrage that Aguero can't get treatment.