Premier League 2016/17

Lineker

39 minutes ago, Moses Julep said:

Aside from the time he put in a transfer request and nearly went to Chelsea :shifty: 

That was basically a dice roll done to get a new contract. Gerrard backed down because he couldn't bring himself to leave

7 minutes ago, MDK said:

Was he not also threatened by gangsters?

Yes but not in regards to him leaving for Chelsea. Someone was trying to extort him for money when he was younger. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7341485.stm 

• Like 1

I mean, call me a cynic, but Gerrard could be lying when he says he didn't want to leave.

Edit: thinking about it, the timelines don't add up for wanting to leave vs trying to get a better offer. Liverpool had just won the CL and there was probably an aura of optimism around the place etc. So probably not lying.

Probably.

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

I mean, call me a cynic, but Gerrard could be lying when he says he didn't want to leave.

Edit: thinking about it, the timelines don't add up for wanting to leave vs trying to get a better offer. Liverpool had just won the CL and there was probably an aura of optimism around the place etc. So probably not lying.

Probably.

He's said something along the lines of feeling unwanted by Liverpool and that the contract offers he'd received to that point were a bit insulting. He could've left at any point. Lord knows Chelsea would have upped their bid until we accepted if he really wanted to force a move, and he had plenty of opportunity to leave. Even as recently as 2012, Bayern were in for him. A lot of people try to paint it as something more than what it was - a passing frustration. We all have them.

Gerrard is a legend. He could have walked into any squad during his glory years. And as much as I like to take the piss about him slipping up, and you know I do, I think he is one of the best players England has ever produced. Probably the best Liverpool player ever at least in the modern era.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MDK said:

Oh boy, its looking likely that we are going to have an Operation Yewtree thing about football. The NSPCC had 50 calls in the first 2 hours of opening up a helpline for people. 

It's horrific and seems to be getting worse by the day.

18 hours ago, MDK said:

50/50 on mine since I don't know him

50% likely to be a gangster, the other 50% likely to be a Martian? "Who Do You Think You Are?" would be fantastic if they applied your method. "We're not sure about your grandad, so its 50/50 he's a dinosaur".

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

It's horrific and seems to be getting worse by the day.

It's clearly pretty widespread, and not a new thing by the sounds of it. Radio Newcastle mentioned one at us this morning, an allegation against a coach I'd never heard of who's already serving a sentence for similar crimes. Seems bizarre this hasn't been more high profile earlier.

3 hours ago, Colly said:

It's clearly pretty widespread, and not a new thing by the sounds of it. Radio Newcastle mentioned one at us this morning, an allegation against a coach I'd never heard of who's already serving a sentence for similar crimes. Seems bizarre this hasn't been more high profile earlier.

Britwres peadophile James Wallace has worked around multiple youth football teams around his prison time so there's been little bits and bobs. I'm kind of surprised that something as widespread as this is starting to be covered so deeply now hasn't surfaced on such a large scale before. I guess it was waiting for that first big name to open the floodgates before others came forwards. Similar to how Yewtree needed people to come forward about Saville and that was only after he'd died.

15 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

Britwres peadophile James Wallace has worked around multiple youth football teams around his prison time so there's been little bits and bobs. I'm kind of surprised that something as widespread as this is starting to be covered so deeply now hasn't surfaced on such a large scale before. I guess it was waiting for that first big name to open the floodgates before others came forwards. Similar to how Yewtree needed people to come forward about Saville and that was only after he'd died.

What's the story behind this? I know he had been sent down for child sex offences, didn't know it concerned youth football though. Awful person.