The Emirates FA Cup 2017/18

Lineker

1 minute ago, Baddar said:

Killing momentum or not, VAR has been more kind to Liverpool than anything today. Took away a West Brom goal and also gave you a pen. 

Your boys have been shocking so far.

It is making the right decisions but if this is going to be implemented properly it needs to be a lot quicker. Especislly for people at the game. It's killing any atmosphere, it's killing momentum. It's just leading to awkward silence for 5 mins a pop. 

2 minutes ago, MDK said:

I think that is unfair on shite

True. But in my full on grumpy arse mood stood here watching a gang of absolute bellends, I couldn't think of any other words more appropriate. 

Despite all of that. I don't wanna take anything away from Wear Brom they've played really well and fully deserve to be smashing us

I still want then to get relegated cause I hate them like. 

• Like 1

Oh it needs to be quicker. For the pen decision, if Marriner reckons it needs looking at again, Pawson should be immediately checking the replay on the screen, not waiting for a word in his ear and then taking a look himself anyway.

I think it'll get better, and I do think fans at the games need to know what's going on whether it's on a big screen or something.

2-3, game on.

4 hours ago, Baddar said:

Oh it needs to be quicker. For the pen decision, if Marriner reckons it needs looking at again, Pawson should be immediately checking the replay on the screen, not waiting for a word in his ear and then taking a look himself anyway.

I think it'll get better, and I do think fans at the games need to know what's going on whether it's on a big screen or something.

2-3, game on.

Costs a lot to put a big screen in a ground. They should explain it over the tannoy, this is done after every play in the NFL.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Los IngobernAdam de Japon said:

Costs a lot to put a big screen in a ground. They should explain it over the tannoy, this is done after every play in the NFL.

I can't even see the big screen at Newcastle it's that poorly placed, but our tannoy is even worse... 

Simple option would be to have it appear on the electronic ad boards, but presumably advertisers would grump. 

I do think that whatever they do, it's not going to please everyone. Use big screens and it's the cost, ad boards and it's the advertisers, give the ref a mic and it's too much like the NFL. 

I did read a stat earlier that said in a trial of 800 games, VAR accounted for just 1% of time lost during the average game, whereas free kicks (setting up the wall etc.) accounted for 10%. I think it's something we can get used to over time, as time lost during set pieces/goal kicks is just accepted now.

There was a Liverpool fan on BBC earlier whinging that the VAR disrupted their rhythm and pace yesterday. Fuck off with that shit. It took a goal off West Brom and gave you a penalty you wouldn't otherwise have had.

In case it wasn't obvious before I am definitely a fan of it, but think it does need speeding up.

What do you think?

I still don't think it's the best solution, I don't understand how it divides up periods of play and I don't get how it picks up things not given (would that penalty have been given if the ball hadn't gone straight out of play?). They check every goal, how far back do they go looking for an infringement? I appreciate these are maybe things that can be tweaked, but it just doesn't feel like the right solution. 

53 minutes ago, Baddar said:

There was a Liverpool fan on BBC earlier whinging that the VAR disrupted their rhythm and pace yesterday. Fuck off with that shit. It took a goal off West Brom and gave you a penalty you wouldn't otherwise have had.

In case it wasn't obvious before I am definitely a fan of it, but think it does need speeding up.

It is making the right decisions but rhythm is a big thing in football and when it's taking 4/5 minutes for a decision it is taking the steam out of the game. No matter what side you're on. West Brom where on the front foot when they scored and it was disallowed. It's going to have an impact on them too. 

I don't get though how the time wasn't added on at the end of the first half though. 4 minutes extra time is a joke when they made 2 subs and there was 2 VAR decisions that took an age to make. 

Being in the crowd, it was the most bizarre game I've ever been too and ive been to some mental games as a Liverpool fan. They need to find a way of letting people at the game know what's going on or why decisions are being made. 

I still say appeal system. Manager gets one appeal, he makes that appeal to the 4th official. VAR can immediately begin looking and the referee doesn't stop play until the ball goes dead (if it's still live). Get it right, you keep your appeal, get it wrong then tough you don't get another, use it more wisely.

Okay, once in a blue moon, there might be a penalty not given, manager appeals and the other team goes up and scores. But i think that rare occurrence is worth it to overturn countless bad decisions.

• Like 1