Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:

I didn't see him either! But I was a bit embarrassed to ask that :P 

I was also going to ask if we were going to see the Wasp in it.

Doesn’t the Wasp make her debut in the Ant-Man sequel? I don’t think she’s a part of Infinity War.

I'd say watch everyone's first film bar The Hulk to get their intro, the Avengers films, obviously, but the only sequels you really need are the Cap Trilogy, Guardians 2 and Ragnarok.

There are small problems cutting films out though, missing Ironman 2 cuts Black Widow's introduction and leaving out Dark World skips over Loki's 'death', which is what makes the reveal in Ragnarok more interesting. But yeah those are both missable in the grand scheme. 

11 minutes ago, Jericode said:

I'd say watch everyone's first film bar The Hulk to get their intro, the Avengers films, obviously, but the only sequels you really need are the Cap Trilogy, Guardians 2 and Ragnarok.

There are small problems cutting films out though, missing Ironman 2 cuts Black Widow's introduction and leaving out Dark World skips over Loki's 'death', which is what makes the reveal in Ragnarok more interesting. But yeah those are both missable in the grand scheme. 

Skipping Thor: The Dark World also skips the introduction to the Reality Stone. If you miss that one, anything involving The Collector or the Aether in Infinity War or Avengers 4 is going to be confusing. Plus TDW was where the first exposition regarding the Infinity Stones was laid out, so there's that too.

Something that I think people are forgetting too easily, is that with the Infinity Gauntlet, reality can be changed and shaped to the wearer's will. It's entirely possible that we see people die who come back later because of reality warping, or who die but return as a different version of themselves due to the same thing. It would be an easy way for them to re-cast specific roles if they want to. It's also a cheap way of killing someone off for the emotional response, knowing that you can bring them back because of the gauntlet.

In other words, I expect that we will see Thanos kill a lot of heroes in Infinity War and Avengers 4... but I don't believe that they will all stay dead. Some have to, to make sure that the audience doesn't feel cheated, or the story doesn't hold the gravitas that it needs... but I expect a few to turn up alive or be brought back by the gauntlet.

The only people I can see them possibly bringing back to life after getting killed is the Hulk and Iron Man. Chris Evans has said for years that he only wanted to make 3 Cap movies, which is why he's the likeliest to die. The only person I can see being killed and brought back is Vision via JARVIS or Nick Fury.

10 hours ago, DoubleX said:

Skipping Thor: The Dark World also skips the introduction to the Reality Stone. If you miss that one, anything involving The Collector or the Aether in Infinity War or Avengers 4 is going to be confusing. Plus TDW was where the first exposition regarding the Infinity Stones was laid out, so there's that too.

I’d counter that watching it won’t really help you understand it any better.

Just now, Josh McClane said:

I’d counter that watching it won’t really help you understand it any better.

Fair point. I suppose you could probably just watch the first TDW stinger on Youtube to see Sif and Volstagg giving the Collector the Aether, and Volstagg's line about keeping two Infinity Stones so close together (which is the first time they're called as such in the MCU), and be done with it.

So what the hell was up with them killing the Warriors Three off like little bitches to replace them with Korg, Valkryie and Mieks?  It just seems so out of place since they had 2 movies of being Thor's BFFs.  I'm trying to think about the "heroes" that the MCU has killed off and it really stands out.

Spoiler

Phil Coulson - Technically not dead, but his death was the catalyst for forming the Avengers
Queen Frigga - Killed by Kurse, important moment
Garthan Saal - Heroic death trying to save the Nova Corps
QuickSilver - Heroic death saving Hawkeye
Yondu - Heroic death saving Quill
Peggy Carter - Old Age
T'Chaka - Killed by Zemo
The Ancient One - Killed by Kaecilius leading to the rise of Doctor Strange
Skurge - Died during his face turn last stand
Odin - Died of old age which released Hela

So basically all the other somewhat important hero characters that have died so far in the MCU have all been to advance plots/characters and usually in some heroic way.  Except Volstagg and Fandral.  Hogun at leat put up a fight but ultimately they were just major cases of Worf Syndrome.

also I guess I don't really think of any of those characters as straight replacements, especially Mieks. I do think that the offhanded way that Volstagg and Fandral were killed off was bullshit, though; I'm fine with Hela killing them because it'd be pretty ridiculous for the God of Death to not have a significant bodycount, but it just didn't do either of them any justice. I have to imagine at least one scene with them was cut because if they seriously just flew in Zachary Levi to do a reaction shot and then die, that seems like a waste of a plane ticket.

but I also think Marvel probably rightly assumes that the bulk of the viewership doesn't really care about the Warriors Three so it wasn't going to be a huge deal. If they had done that to Sif it would have been a different story.