FIFA World Cup 2018

Lineker

8 hours ago, Moses Julep said:

It’s funny, because as someone who’s immersed in a lot of non-English punditry and journalism, there’s always been this view that the English national team has this obsession with passion. Like Sven Goran Eriksson, relatively decent tactician takes over, and within a few months he’s kinda given all that up and instead he’s talking about how he needs his players to have drive and passion and ambition. Fabio Capello, master tactician, takes over and quickly goes full FM “where’s the passion laaaaads?”. Not to mention Hoddle and Keegan and McLaren and Hogdson who just went on and on and on about the players being passionate. And for years, all I’ve heard was that England would benefit from actually playing a solidly tactical game like the Germans or the French or the Spanish and move away from this PASSION LADS business.

Now it seems passion and drive works very well, who knew all you needed was an ambitious team willing to work as a unit as opposed to a bunch of overrated, selfish twats like Stevie G and JT trying to go for the glory :shifty: 

We have a bad habit of falsely equating 'work rate' to 'passion' and by 'work rate', we mean 'sprinting around the pitch at a hundred miles an hour for ninety minutes' and it seeped into the psyche of the national team. You couldn't play in that team and work smart instead of hard because you'd get roasted by the press for lacking 'passion'. Previous generations of English players were tactically naive in comparison to the current team too, so I can't imagine when tactical coaches like Eriksson and Capello come in and start talking about relatively basic stuff like 'low blocks' etc., they got a lot of blank faces. We're the nation that treats a back three as revolutionary in 2017.

It still pervades now amongst the fans, I saw last night a lot of criticism of Lukaku 'going missing in the big games' and not giving a fuck in a World Cup semi-final, which completely ignores that he was actually working really hard but he was completely negated in every area of his battle against a world-class defender in Varane. You'll see it tonight if we lose, it will all be Raheem Sterling or Kyle Walker's fault.

Shit lads, England vs Croatia is for the Unoffical Football World Cup title too!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PanamAdam said:

It's the day of England in a World Cup Semi final, for the first time since I was born...and I have £2.47 in my bank account.

Shite ain't it. I'm skint till Friday...

• Like 1