Superman 64 Discussion Thread

Benji

Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na...  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na...

• BATMAN!
    • LEADER!

Aren't games supposed to be fun? I don't see how simulating depression would be anyone's idea of fun. It seems more like an interactive art project than a game.

"Video game" is a term that is, and always has been, used as a catch-all term for more or less any interactive experience that involves some form of audiovisual media. Like films, books or any other form of popular entertainment, they don't have to stick rigidly by a set purpose, Maybe they're meant to scare you, make you sad, make you think or anything else from the usual tick sheet. Saying that they're supposed to be fun and never anything else is a bit like saying that all films should be fictional stories that last around two hours. Depression Quest doesn't break any so-called "rules" that hadn't been flaunted before, and to target it specifically for that reason is silly. I can't, for example, remember as many people hound the creator of Papers, Please for making something that wasn't "fun", yet Depression Quest resulted in death threats.

Aren't games supposed to be fun? I don't see how simulating depression would be anyone's idea of fun. It seems more like an interactive art project than a game.

Alright, gothcha. I don't like Call of Duty, don't find it fun, so its not a game then

• Like 4

NO U

From "The Quinnspiracy" to "Gamergate", we did that to specifically get away from the people harassing Zoe Quinn

You did a horrible, lousy fucking job at it then.

What's funny is that they didn't do it to get away from the harassment of Quinn, they did it to piggy back off of Adam Baldwin's fame. XD

#NotAllGames

Seriously though some of the best games I've ever played have left me emotionally drained when I was done. Then again right now I'm playing a game where one of my weapons is a huge alien probe I stick up dudes butts and launch them hundreds of feet in the air. So it's really all inclusive :P

• Like 4

Alright, gothcha. I don't like Call of Duty, don't find it fun, so its not a game then

I don't like COD either but I can still see how someone might find it fun. Even with horror games, the story might be meant to scare but the game it's self is still fun. Like I said, I can't see how anyone can consider a depression simulator fun.

And another thing. I read visual novels. I like them and think they're worth something but I don't consider them games. They're basically choose your own adventure books with pictures and music. DQ seems closer to those than anything else.

I don't like COD either but I can still see how someone might find it fun. Even with horror games, the story might be meant to scare but the game it's self is still fun. Like I said, I can't see how anyone can consider a depression simulator fun.

And another thing. I read visual novels. I like them and think they're worth something but I don't consider them games. They're basically choose your own adventure books with pictures and music. DQ seems closer to those than anything else.

I don't see how anyone could think Hatred is fun, it's simply a misanthropic fantasy simulator, but if I remember, you were all about it when it came up.

DQ is a game, no matter how much you, or others, would like to belittle it.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w5ogGru8qg

This is Andy Warhol's Empire. It is a static shot of the Empire State Building and it is a movie.

• Like 2

• Admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w5ogGru8qg

This is Andy Warhol's Empire. It is a static shot of the Empire State Building and it is a movie.

No-one could possibly get any enjoyment out of an eight-hour video of the same thing continuously.

We need to nominate someone to do a Let's Play of this when it releases.

Also, the game. Uh...where do I begin?

Buy it and I will bite the bullet :P

as for thoughts on it...

That main character looks just like the kind of person you'd expect to go on a mass murder spree with the intention of getting killed.

I wonder what kind of story a game like this could have. Surely you just don't run around and kill till you die then do it over again. There has to be missions and stuff, right?

This is the game a deranged 13 year old would make. This legit just seems to be a murder simulation.

I think the graphicness of it with the repeated stabbing, the people begging for their lives before you blow the back of their heads out could be "neat"(That's such a wrong word to use but I can't think of anything better) in the right game in the right context but this isn't that game.I think a L.A. Noire but in modern times game with a killer that's shown doing those things could work and could be pretty disturbing and not come off as being edgy just to be edgy.

God I hope there isn't a school or movie theater to enter.

All about that game, aren't I?

Also, I can see how Hatred could be fun, it actually has parts where you play. You don't play in DQ, you read walls of depressing text. You want a depressing game? The Cat Lady. The story is depressing as hell but it's sill an intriguing and engaging thing you play. DQ is like a script of a game they didn't feel like making into a game after they finished it so they just put it up for people to scroll through. .

I'd rather there were a thousand failed attempts at making "different" or "arty" or "creative" games for every one quality one, than a thousand generic FPSs, sandbox games, racing games, platformers etc.

More and more we can return to "games are art". With Steam, PSN, XBox network and so on, we can pay £3-£7 for little nuggets of creativity that don't NEED to play it safe. Now these games are winning awards and being heralded (Papers Please for example).

It's like when we used to pay £2.99 for a Spectrum/Amstrad/C64 game on cassette. Maybe it was great, maybe not, but they were coded by guys trying different things and, at the end of the day, it didn't break the bank if it sucked.

We should encourage this end of gaming, rather than £50 games with £15 season passes and multiple £8 expansions, £3 weapon packs and costume packs.

• Like 4