NBA 2K17

JasonM

I keep having this issue in My Career where I go on a tear, get the team up by 16-20 points and then I get taken off for the last quarter and somehow we've lost by 20 or more points. I get that it's balancing things out but with the meager rewards for playing a good game it all seems rather pointless in the end.

4 minutes ago, apsham said:

I keep having this issue in My Career where I go on a tear, get the team up by 16-20 points and then I get taken off for the last quarter and somehow we've lost by 20 or more points. I get that it's balancing things out but with the meager rewards for playing a good game it all seems rather pointless in the end.

MyCareer is even more egregious in that sense. Especially if you play on Superstar or HOF, the AI will find a way to make your team lose unless you truly make insane numbers of points.

Anyways. I recovered from my moment of pure hate filled anger, and the next game was against the Heat. As expected, they went up by quite a bit, but I managed to tie it up at the end of the third, and completely take control in the fourth and win by 7 points. Whiteside had 21/21, but I got him fouled out early in the fourth and after that Manimal really could go crazy on the boards with 26/12/4. If he wasn't so shit from the stripe, he would've gotten over 30 points.

Also the fact Mudiay returned this game after missing six games helped me a great deal with playmaking, since he's the best pick and roll guy I got. Murray is skilled too, but he's extremely inconsistent.

Either way, got my second win in ten games >_>

9 hours ago, Noah said:

I traded to get a 40 years old Kevin Garnett into my 95/96 Sonics team because why the fuck not? :shifty:

As it currently stands, 2nd in the conference and 5th seeded in the playoff picture for the division.

Just wait till Dikembe smacks you out of the first round of the playoffs.

83G4v9a.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

I just had what is easily, by far, the most frustrating game of NBA ever in the history of playing this game.

The game was fully committed to have me lose by a large margin, despite Faried having a 23/22/3 game (Yes, that's 22 fucking rebounds, 11 of which offensive).

caeca334575e1307b844d23b16a8e386.jpg

604438feea6def945a06797125f65982.png

97d33cb939d56c217b1626166436569a.png

Complete with Bender getting magic blocks, my players being unable to not get blocked despite being 7 fucking foot tall. And Alex Len and Tyson Chandler becoming the second coming of Stockton in the passing lanes, getting magic steals just to fucking spite me.

I'm just so massively pissed right now, I felt like throwing my controller out of the window in anger. Because it didn't matter how well I was playing, the game was just making sure that they were gonna be dropping everything the moment I even got a little bit close to catching up. Or having my defenders faff about and allowing easy runs to the basket for layups.

Or simply making every jump shooter on my team turn into Andre Drummond, effectively forcing me to play inside or not play at all.

I really need to go punch something right now...

Those 22 points you gave up from TOs probably didn't help!

• Like 2

Yeah, after that loss I made a few changes. And now i'm on a three game winning streak beating the Heat, Rockets, and Jazz respectively. 

Biggest change is in playing style, as i've decided to use the '04 Pistons Playbook because that team was very much like how my Nuggets play (Tough bigs, athletic everything else.)

Also Faried finally has 'clicked' for me, and I've decided to crash the glass on both sides and that has been a huge difference in the amount of boards the team is getting, and Faried has had a double-double in five of the last six games. Lots of O-Reb's, lots of putbacks and free throws. And he's really really quick off the screen due to his smaller size and insane athleticism. He makes it work despite 2K being height-ist and him being only a 6'8'' Bigman. Just a shame he's such a terrible shot, else he'd be unstoppable.

Also, like I said before, Mudiay being back from injury makes a massive difference too.

Hopefully I can keep it up... And I gotta reiterate that Manimal is a blast to rebound with.

Game crashed when my internet died suddenly, and as a result it corrupted all my game files...

Stephon-Marbury-Angry-Stare.gif

EDIT: Through some fenagling I somehow managed to recover the files, but still slightly fuming because I honestly thought all my progress was gone.

Edited by Jasonmufc

28 games into the season with the Nuggets, and I'm finally starting to find a groove with Gallo and Manimal. And boy, both of them are able to really murder the shit out of the opposition if you get them to their spots.

Just had a game against the Mavs which I won 107-102 (only drained 2 threes in that game!), and both of them were just on fire. Faried with 28 points and 12 rebounds just trashed them inside through rebounds and pick and roll's. And Gallo got 29 points and 5 rebounds by just running off screenplays and hitting people on the catch and shoot. And I got Mudiay to get 15 assists purely by feeding the two of them. None of the other players got above ten points, because the two of them were just running the show all game long.

And it's really extremely satisfying to have 6ft8 Faried just outwork big guys like Bogut and Mejri on the blocks.

'worst' part of the entire team is that I have no idea where to strengthen the team, other than perhaps an ultra-skilled shooting guard, but Murray, Harris, and Barton do a pretty bang-up job in being secondary and tertiary options. The only issue is that I have no true elite player that I can get 20+ consistently with, and that's also probably why i'm 10-18 >_>

EDIT (Since I get tired of quadruple posting): After some contemplation, and seeing that a bunch of likewise lowly teams are starting to cut their salaries with them underperforming, and me having a glut of free cap space to fuck around with, i've decided to conduct a trade that hopefully makes my team slightly better.

Nuggets Trade: Will Barton (Mavs), Jakarr Sampson (Wolves), Jameer Nelson (Wolves)
Wolves Trade: Pekovic (Mavs), '17 Pels 2nd (Nuggets), Cole Aldrich (Nuggets)
Mavs Trade: Wes Matthews (Nuggets), '17 2nd (Wolves)

Mavs get a strong inside center to backup Bogut, a T-Wolves pick, and young scorer Will Barton who fits perfectly in their pick and roll system whilst adding significant youth to their backcourt.
Wolves get a lot of cap space with the departure of Pekovic and Aldrich, whilst adding easy short term contracts and trading a pick with the Mavs.
I go up in age a little bit with Wes Matthews, but it gains me a skilled defender who can be deadly from three, and be more effective off the ball, since Barton was just another pick and roll guard on a backcourt filled with them.

The only disadvantage is that I suck up two reasonably expensive long-term contracts. And whilst I have little issue with paying Wes Matthews 17/18 million over the next two years, Cole Aldrich is a bigger issue since he's only really good at rebounding, which I kinda have a glut of already.

But all in all, I feel I got a decent deal to capture Wes Matthews who might help me challenge for an eight seed and potential playoff money.

PG: Mudiay (20yrs) (76) POT: A+
SG: Matthews (30yrs) (78) POT: A-
SF: Gallinari (28yrs) (80) POT: B
PF: Faried (27yrs) (81) POT: A-
C: Jokic (21yrs) (79) POT: B

PG: Murray (19yrs - R) (76) POT: B-
SG: Harris (22yrs) (76) POT: B
SG: Beasley (20yrs - R) (70) POT: C+
SF: W. Chandler (29yrs) (78) POT: B
SF: Thompson (25yrs) (72) POT: B-
PF: Arthur (28yrs) (76) POT: B-
PF: Hernangomez (21yrs - R) (69) POT: A-
C: Nurkic (22yrs) (75) POT: B-
C: Aldrich (28yrs) (75) POT: B-

TL;DR - 'Trust the process'

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

Umm we'd never make that trade. A.) We specifically signed Aldrich because he fills a real need in rim protection/hard nosed defensive player and can come in to allow KAT to play away from the basket and to put a body on bigger guys defensively. B.) We need a SG/SF like we need a hole in the head - especially a young inexperienced SG/SF. LaVine, Wiggins, Shabazz, Rush are SG/SF Dunn will see minutes at SG and Bjelica might see some at SF. C.) Same thing at PG when we have Tyus Jones being kept around solely for insurance since we have Rubio/Dunn easily able to play 48 minutes and LaVine even seems to have realised how to dribble a ball. D.) Pek has already been ruled out for the season (I'm not sure why he hasn't been locked down in game since it was before Garnett was released/"retired"), all signs point to medical retirement.

Only trades I can see us making would be for experienced guys who fill holes our young 'uns have. All of our best players are on rookie deals so cap space right now is irrelevant. Likewise we have finished tanking so it isn't like we're going to be taking on players that don't fill a role or trading guys we need for picks to raise our lottery odds.

Basically your game is broken and being silly.

1 hour ago, Quom said:

Umm we'd never make that trade. A.) We specifically signed Aldrich because he fills a real need in rim protection/hard nosed defensive player and can come in to allow KAT to play away from the basket and to put a body on bigger guys defensively. B.) We need a SG/SF like we need a hole in the head - especially a young inexperienced SG/SF. LaVine, Wiggins, Shabazz, Rush are SG/SF Dunn will see minutes at SG and Bjelica might see some at SF. C.) Same thing at PG when we have Tyus Jones being kept around solely for insurance since we have Rubio/Dunn easily able to play 48 minutes and LaVine even seems to have realised how to dribble a ball. D.) Pek has already been ruled out for the season (I'm not sure why he hasn't been locked down in game since it was before Garnett was released/"retired"), all signs point to medical retirement.

Only trades I can see us making would be for experienced guys who fill holes our young 'uns have. All of our best players are on rookie deals so cap space right now is irrelevant. Likewise we have finished tanking so it isn't like we're going to be taking on players that don't fill a role or trading guys we need for picks to raise our lottery odds.

Basically your game is broken and being silly.

Well your face is stupid and your opinions are stupid, it was my first time doing a three team deal. <_<

58 minutes ago, Gigan Lars said:

Awesome trade!

So help me out! I usually can't decide which team to be in MyGM. I can't decide between the Kings, Jazz, Bucks or the Pacers. Mmmmmm

HELP ME OUT

Go with the Jazz. They got a killer front court with a great all-round forward in Gordon 'League of Legends' Hayward, an elite rebounder/blocker in Rudy 'The French Rejection' Gobert, and an all-round bigman in Derrick 'Sexual' Favors.

On top of those three guys you have Dante Exum who is a top notch prospect, Alec Burks who can drain shots and attack the basket, Rodney Hood who is pretty well rounded, and Joe Johnson who can still get it done.

Add a bit of depth, and a good secondary PF/C, and you can get into the playoffs. Hayward is a really clutch shooter too in the game.

Pacers is another fun choice if you want to go crazy with one guy and shoot your way into the eastern playoffs purely on the shoulders of Paul George.

Edited by Jasonmufc

1 minute ago, Gigan Lars said:

Jazz it is! 

I was thinking about getting Deron Williams for the experience and have him return. And I also have the urge to just trade. XD Any tips on secondary PF? 

I'd suggest someone who could play three and d, like a Morris (either Markieff or Marcus), Ersan Ilyasova, Michael Beasley, Derrick Williams, DeMarre Caroll etc.

If such players are out of reach, then just find the cheapest 6ft10+ guys with a laid back personality and rebounding/defensive badges so he can efficiently grab boards and keep the paint clear.

Even then, AI is going to screw you hard in the paint, the AI just loves to go inside and even if you had the best defensive centers they'll just find a way to cut inside and get close shots.

If you're really prepared to make big changes, I'd personally look to ship out Dante Exum. He's tall, sure, and he's pretty athletic. But for me I like my point guards to do two things, get assists, and be able to pull up after the pick. If you can get him, Jamal Murray is a pretty excellent guy for that and super young too. But either way, Dante is a good prospect which you can easily nurture into a 80+ all-round PG.

Another thing i've started to do in MyGM is download 'sliders' for player training, there are a few useful looking ones out there that can help you better train into archetypes like 3&D and whatnot.

Also I make sure to disable rest before back-to-back since it's a waste of a perfectly good day of practice and the rest doesn't really translate that well (most players get good rest with one day off, and they also rest on game-day.

Finally what I did was 'customize' every practice across the entire season (10 minute job, at best) by adjusting the intensities for every session.
E.g. 1 day between games = medium practice, 2+ days between games = Very High on every day then (very-)low on the final day.

Basically if there is more than 1 day between games, I put intensity to very high on every day but the final one which is set to low so they can recuperate and be fresh for game day.

Having customised practices like this should also hopefully lessen the amount of players moaning about practice intensities, since they get a bit of both. Although I do make sure that all my reserves and low-minute bench players are on very high at ALL times, because they simply don't get tired at all since they do fuck all, and that extra training does help get them slightly up to snuff.

Also, I like to give young players a few minutes per game, since 2k17 doesn't simulate progression very well, and those minutes make a huge difference.

• Like 1

Alright I've made two trades which I will describe later. I do know I have to make the playoffs now.

Starting 5:
PG Kemba Walker 26
SG Alec Burks 25
SF Gordon Hayward 26
PF Derrick Favors 25
C   Rudy Gobert 24

Bench:
SF Joe Johnson 35
SG J.R. Smith 31
C Cody Zeller 24
PG Dante Exum 21
PF Boris Diaw 34
SF Joe Ingles 29
SF Richard Jefferson 36
C Jeff Withey 26
PF Joel Bolomboy
PG Raul Neto 24

So, I've started searching for another PG and just randomly clicked on Kemba Walker. The Hornets wanted Rodney Hood (Who was certain he would try out for Free Agency and I rather resign Gobert and Hayward) and George Hill for Kemba who is on a great 3 year 36 million contract and Cody Zeller. Hooray? YES!

The other trade I wanted to get rid of the one more extra PG and Shelvin Mack plus Lyles, who I maybe should have kept, could get me JR plus Jefferson. So I got myself some Championship Experience!

Great trades? Yes or no?