2023-2024 NBA season

Pooker

He's basically tailored this to assure he goes to Miami. The Sixers haven't freed up anything yet as Harden hasn't been traded whilst the Heat have moved Oladipo's salary and most of the other salary they offload will be shipped to Portland.

The VanVleet deal with Houston is solely because the new CBA requires teams to hit a cap floor. Going to be a ton of rebuilding teams handing out a lot of headscratcher contracts.

• Like 1

The Spurs seem to be emerging as a potential landing spot, but I don't know what they could possibly give to the Blazers other than future 1st rounders. Given his existing relationship with Butler and Adebayo surely the Heat is the only likely option.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, damhausen said:

He's basically tailored this to assure he goes to Miami. The Sixers haven't freed up anything yet as Harden hasn't been traded whilst the Heat have moved Oladipo's salary and most of the other salary they offload will be shipped to Portland.

The VanVleet deal with Houston is solely because the new CBA requires teams to hit a cap floor. Going to be a ton of rebuilding teams handing out a lot of headscratcher contracts.

This is why I was a little baffled about Pistons fans losing their minds that we "wasted" our cap space on Joe Harris. He's not an exciting acquisition but he's on an expiring deal. The Pistons really shouldn't be giving stupid contracts to any of these "big" names on the market this year. Not to say Kuzma, Grant, Johnson, etc. are bad players, but I'm not sure the Pistons need to be committing big money to guys already 27+ years old that probably wont move the needle. 

Harris is a fantastic shooter and I think makes sense to use him in a role to see how our young players develop. This allows Cade, Jaden Ivey, Duren, Thompson, Stewart, etc to develop on their own but giving them a floor spacer. It could be a for better or for worse situation but if it is a for worse situation, Kyle Kuzma isn't solving that.

• Like 1

I don't get the people saying or being mad that Dame is screwing Portland by wanting to go to Miami and nowhere else. Fuck Portland. Dame has been telling them for years that he doesn't want to go somewhere else and he doesn't want to rebuild. So, why should he work with them now? They haven't done anything to help him, they've made terrible move after terrible move, including signing Dame to a supermax. Should have just traded him two years ago, to wherever would have given you the best deal at the time. Probably would be in a better spot out then they currently are, just probably wouldn't have Scoot. But, now? Just trade Dame to Miami, find a third team to take Herro, and be done with it.

Watched Wembanyama play his first summer league game and he looked... fine? My biggest takeaway was how tentative he looked to do anything remotely physical. almost like he'd been told not to risk anything, his rim protection was incredible of course but those doubts over his offensive abilities may not be exaggerations. 2-13 is not a great start for someone who can just raise his arm to dunk it. Also, the "Wemby" name needs to go away immediately.

On the plus side, his security team haven't assaulted a worldwide icon for nearly 72 hours now.

• Haha 2

Some of the names who've dominated summer league have gone on to do nothing in their careers and future stars were non-entities during summer league.

For the coverage it gets, the whole thing is largely meaningless. It's much more akin to NFL preseason games where those guys are battling for the last 2-3 roster spots.

• Like 2

The NBA announced the NBA Cup yesterday, a mid-season tournament in November and December. Each team has been put in a group of 5, with the winners advancing to the knock out round. Quarter finals and semi finals count towards regular season standings, with games added for those that don't make it. Finals won't count towards the standings or stats, but players will win a cash prize.

I like it. Brings something different to the league.

• Like 1

Yeah, that’s a fun idea and they have scheduled it really well so that there’s very few extra games.  Having all the games in round play happen on Tuesdays and Thursdays is also a great idea.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JasonM said:

I for one am relishing when Poppovich rests the entire squad for those games.

All the games but the final championship cup game still count towards the regular season standings. And they're early enough in the year. But, yes, I fully expect and applaud Popp for doing it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With reports that the Heat and Blazers not having any real "traction" on a deal, does Dame stay and play in Portland and they try to make it work with Scoot and him? 

I doubt it. My guess is that it ends up like Rodgers and the Jets, they'll work out something eventually. Second guess would be Portland takes a deal from somebody else that is willing to call Dame's bluff about being unhappy. Third bet would be Dame sitting out the season. Hell, I would bet on him retiring before he plays another game for Portland.