Mayweather v McGregor

Adam

It's a load of rubbish really, but people will pay to see it, and that's all that matters in a sport that's much more about business than anything else. McGregor's talking about how his punching power will see him through, but hitting people flush in a boxing match isn't a comparable proposition to that in MMA. Add to that the fact that Mayweather probably has the best defence and counter-punching ability of anyone around today, if not ever.

McGregor's chin will be the telling factor in how long the fight lasts. Mayweather isn't a hard hitter when compared with other top fighters, but you'd realistically expect McGregor to be hit a lot. If he can take a large volume of small shots, he could make it through a few rounds, at least. That's unless they agree to draw things out to give the illusion of a competitive contest, which is something I wouldn't rule out in a farcical cash grab such as this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Meacon said:

Also who is the old guy in Connor's tweet? Looks like Mayweather's grandfather or something. 

I hope he didn't think he was going to box that guy... :wacko:

I do believe that's actually a picture of Floyd Mayweather, Sr...

10 hours ago, Meacon said:

Also who is the old guy in Connor's tweet? Looks like Mayweather's grandfather or something. 

I hope he didn't think he was going to box that guy... :wacko:

It's Floyd Mayweather Sr, his dad. He's taking the piss and calling Jr old...

McGregor will get trounced, but that's fine because he's going to get so much money for this it doesn't matter.

People will pay, everyone will make money, and then the fight will be supremely disappointing. I could see a couple rounds of "Hey maybe McGregor is gonna put up a fight" before that doesn't actually happen.

Why would anyone ever pay to watch this? It's a guy that's not a boxer in a boxing match with the number one boxer in the world today. There's only one really boring way this ends. It's not even got the Boxing vs MMA angle since it's a straight boxing match.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

It's definitely a no-lose situation for McGregor. If he loses, so what, he's not a boxer but he had the guts to fight a guy on the other guys terms. If he wins, then uh...he wins. 

The rejected script for Rocky IV had some real doozies. :shifty: 

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

It's definitely a no-lose situation for McGregor. If he loses, so what, he's not a boxer but he had the guts to fight a guy on the other guys terms. If he wins, then uh...he wins. 

Cheers, Geoff. 

• Like 3

Mayweather by lopsided decision. He'll just dance around for twelve rounds, peppering McGregor with counterpunches but he won't go for the knockout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, =BK= said:

Why would anyone ever pay to watch this? It's a guy that's not a boxer in a boxing match with the number one boxer in the world today. There's only one really boring way this ends. It's not even got the Boxing vs MMA angle since it's a straight boxing match.

As someone who's realistically a very casual boxing fan, and someone who's barely kept track of UFC since I lost the channel it was on I'm certainly interested as a spectacle, more so than I would be the latest Tony Bellew fight or similar. It's going to be a damp squib and has the potential to be over in a round, but as a silly showpiece I'm interested. Hell, I'm a WWE fan, script the fuck out of it...

10 minutes ago, Colly said:

As someone who's realistically a very casual boxing fan, and someone who's barely kept track of UFC since I lost the channel it was on I'm certainly interested as a spectacle, more so than I would be the latest Tony Bellew fight or similar. It's going to be a damp squib and has the potential to be over in a round, but as a silly showpiece I'm interested. Hell, I'm a WWE fan, script the fuck out of it...

I was just thinking, the only way I'd ever buy this was if they went full wrestling with it. Mayweather is boxing and beating McGregor, who eventually has enough and picks Money up and bodyslams him ala Piper/Mr. T.

• Like 4

To be honest, my second most likely outcome is McGregor getting DQed when instinct takes over and he follows up a 1-2 combo with a leg kick.