Premier League 2019/20

Lineker

Just now, Liam said:

Yeah, but handballs that are accidental and directly benefit that person (or their team) should still be pulled up as fouls, which is my point. The simple thing of that goal was that the goal doesn't even come close to happening if he doesn't handball it at the start of the move.

I suppose the interesting thing is that had they introduced this new "can't score after accidental handball" rule but added the caveat "if you gain an advantage" people would probably have been happy. Certainly wouldn't have ruled out that Man City goal.

The thing to look for is that in all 3 examples raised here no defender appeals for a handball, and odds are none of them have a clue why the goals have been ruled out which says a lot for me.

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

Also, Declan Rice is from Kingston-upon-Thames.

Sterling is from Kingston and Tomori is from Calgary, what's your point?

Is nationality and personal identity purely linked to where you're born now, that's news to me? 

Declan was Irish enough when stole time from our players developing underage in our system and playing senior games. Also when he was posting pro IRA comments on Instagram too.

7 minutes ago, Colly said:

The only to remove accidental handballs from football is to remove all outfield players arms.

There's an enormous difference between putting a goal in with your hand and the nonsense that saw Jesus' goal against Spurs disallowed early in the season, or the one Wolves had against Leicester. Like I said, sledgehammer to crack a nut. VAR is trying to make football binary and it just doesn't work, referees need to have discretion.

I'm not saying remove accidental handball, just if a hand leads directly to a goal then it should be disallowed. Just an opinion really and I'm OK with it as is. Rice literally knocked the ball head of himself with his hand last night. That should rightfully be penalised in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, TCO said:

Sterling is from Kingston and Tomori is from Calgary, what's your point?

Is nationality and personal identity purely linked to where you're born now, that's news to me? 

Declan was Irish enough when stole time from our players developing underage in our system and playing senior games. Also when he was posting pro IRA comments on Instagram too.

I'm not greatly bothered about what constitutes national identity to be honest. I'd have had Arteta in the England squad when he tried to get in since it would have improved the squad.

Really my issue is that Ireland fans like to slate Rice (and others) with all this venom and abuse for simply choosing that his national identity (or whatever) is more English than Irish. At the end of the day, players like Rice and Jack Grealish would prefer to play for England and that's something that Ireland fans should accept. You don't complain when the English-born players in your squad do opt for Ireland and perform well, understandably so, so you can't have it both ways. If you accept the system of hoovering up players with Irish heritage who aren't quite good enough to play for England then you need to accept that some of those players will ultimately go the other way.

In this instance it just irked me a bit that you presented a defence of the handball rule when really you just wanted to call Rice a "little cunt".

It's not just you, I'm not trying to argue, but it does wind me up sometimes when fans of Ireland, Wales or Scotland get up in arms about this issue.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Adam said:

I'm not greatly bothered about what constitutes national identity to be honest. I'd have had Arteta in the England squad when he tried to get in since it would have improved the squad.

Really my issue is that Ireland fans like to slate Rice (and others) with all this venom and abuse for simply choosing that his national identity (or whatever) is more English than Irish. At the end of the day, players like Rice and Jack Grealish would prefer to play for England and that's something that Ireland fans should accept. You don't complain when the English-born players in your squad do opt for Ireland and perform well, understandably so, so you can't have it both ways. If you accept the system of hoovering up players with Irish heritage who aren't quite good enough to play for England then you need to accept that some of those players will ultimately go the other way.

In this instance it just irked me a bit that you presented a defence of the handball rule when really you just wanted to call Rice a "little cunt".

It's not just you, I'm not trying to argue, but it does wind me up sometimes when fans of Ireland, Wales or Scotland get up in arms about this issue.

We're not hoovering up anybody. Player who are eligible to be Irish citizens are asked if they want to play for Ireland and it's up to them if they do. I'm never going to accept players using the Irish system to advance and develop, then turn their back in what a lot of the time is financially motivated. Rice is going to continue to get abuse and will have to live with that for the rest of his career. He said, time and time again he was committed and played every level right up to senior and at the expense of lads who's dream it was to play for their country. Who knows where some of these guys could have been if they had been given the coaching and time he was given?

I will never accept the shit Rice pulled and I never overly rated him as a player even when he played with us so it has nothing to do with what he'd add to our team. It's also put pressure on every dual national we have coming through, Michael Obafemi faced the same nonsense when he was never anything but committed. And just last week we had Gabby Logan on MOTD saying Mick McCarthy should hurry up and cap Adam Idah. 

Dual nationality is becoming more common and I have no problem with players opting for England or any other country. Dennis Cirkin and Armstrong Oko-Flex are two Irish born players who have represented England underage recently. All the power to them and I wish them every success whatever country they do end up representing.

Fair play to Hasenhuttl for turning things around at Southampton since the 9-0.

Comfortable win for us today. 10th time this season that we've scored 3 or more in a game, the 6th in the League. It could be so much better if we had a creative midfielder and a fit Pogba. By all accounts Mata played well today which is nice because he can still offer something in games where sides sit deep.

2 minutes ago, Liam said:

By dint of being bigger than everyone else at the age when that was all the counts, I refute that statement. True, I peaked at the age of 11, but it was a good year.

You must be gutted Ron Greenwood never called you up.

1 hour ago, MDK said:

With your FA? Probably non-league.

Dont rule out move to Preston if they were really good. Maybe a bottom half SPL club or the US minor leagues

Maybe if they're reall good they hang around league one for a while and eventually make it to the premier league in their late 20s or early 30s which is of course when they get called up to the irish national team

• Thanks 1

I feel for Eddie Howe. Good manager, squad ravaged by injuries, and the healthy players doing poorly. I really hope Bournemouth stick with him, even if it means relegation and a chance to come right back up. They wouldn't be here anyways without him