Sky Bet EFL 2019/20

Adam

• Admin
9 hours ago, Colly said:

Lovely stuff.

It’s been quite the 24 hours for Wycombe forward Adebayo Akinfenwa. After his team clinched promotion to the Championship at Wembley on Monday, the lifelong Liverpool fan got a WhatsApp message from Jürgen Klopp – and an invitation to the Reds’ title parade.

In a memorable post-match interview with Sky Sports, Akinfenwa had reflected on a four-year journey from being “technically unemployed” to helping Wycombe into the second tier for the first time in their history. The 38-year old added that his day could only get better if Klopp were to “hit me up on WhatsApp”.

The Liverpool manager duly obliged, after hearing of Akinfenwa’s request from Jordan Henderson. On Tuesday, Klopp revealed that the pair plan to meet up, and the Wycombe forward will attend the team’s title parade – whenever it is possible for that to take place.

“I saw when he was sitting in the team meeting in a Liverpool kit, which I thought was really funny,” Klopp said. “I watched the game and he sent a video back,” he added, although he kept the details to himself. “At least a few things in life should stay private. It was nice, he was obviously really happy.”

“He is invited for the parade, 100%,” Klopp added. “As a player I was in similar situations. Football meant everything to me before somebody thought, ‘It’s worth giving him some money for it,’ and that never changed.”

As a player, Klopp spent much of his career in the amateur leagues, before a decade with second-tier Mainz, who he eventually led to the Bundesliga as manager. “I just enjoy these kind of stories,” Klopp said. “I always will love this game because you can fulfil your own dreams, it just depends on the dreams.”

Akinfenwa responded to official confirmation of his invite by tweeting: “This is getting silly now, I’m smiling like a grown kid.” The journeyman forward’s contract at Adams Park runs out this summer, although a more permanent trip to Merseyside appears unlikely.

It's going to be wild when Akinfenwa scores a last minute winner in the 2021 Champions League final for Liverpool.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gazz said:

It's going to be wild when Akinfenwa scores a last minute winner in the 2021 Champions League final for Liverpool.

I've often pondered what would happen if a Prem team picked up Akinfenwa as a chaotic impact substitute. Reckon he'd do a job just from the sheer puzzlement on the faces of a lot of the mediocre Spanish/French etc centre backs wondering how he is a professional footballer. Bit like when Stuart Pearce had a mental breakdown and, I'm assuming, got sectioned for putting David James up front in the last game of the season. 

On the same line of thinking, I'd love to see a La Liga side take a punt on Tony Pulis or Allardyce. Just play big bastard long balls up to Ashley Barnes or someone, they'd have no clue what to do. Surprised Big Sam hasn't already had Ivan Campo and Fernando Hierro put in a good word for him at Real.

At least it'd be a funny shitshow to watch, like when Souness signed Brian Deane, Steve Harkness, Gary Charles, Scott Minto etc for Benfica in 1999.

18 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Wow Leeds are going up at last. Maybe Nottingham Forest as well. The 70s are back.

Forest don't quite look ready to go up yet. Of the teams in the playoff hunt, they'd be the ones I'd least expect to win. I hope I'm wrong, though.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Forest don't quite look ready to go up yet. Of the teams in the playoff hunt, they'd be the ones I'd least expect to win. I hope I'm wrong, though.

I don't get exposure too much Championship here but from what I can tell it should really be Brentford or West Brom no? Whichever doesn't get 2nd.

Made up for the Leeds fans on here and for my Grandad! 

I hope Brentford can come up too in 2nd place and I know it's probably a longshot but Forest as well. It'd be nice for a new team to come up rather than the usual suspects and for an old team who hasn't been in the league for some time. 

55 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

I don't get exposure too much Championship here but from what I can tell it should really be Brentford or West Brom no? Whichever doesn't get 2nd.

In theory yes as they are very strong teams but the Play Offs often throw up unexpected results!

Probably asking a silly question, but is Milner the only remaining Premier League player to have played for Leeds in the top flight? I was thinking Aaron Lennon but apparently he's just been released.

16 minutes ago, Colly said:

Probably asking a silly question, but is Milner the only remaining Premier League player to have played for Leeds in the top flight? I was thinking Aaron Lennon but apparently he's just been released.

Scott Carson is at City, on loan from Derby.

• Thanks 1