Sony Megathread 2021

Did anyone like Days Gone? What is a good game to get my hubby after he is done that. Obvious zombie games like TLOU and Dying Light he already beat. 

• Like 1

Might be a little too similar to Dying Light in a lot of ways, but Dead Island is pretty fun. The Definitive Collection (Island & Riptide) is pretty cheap usually, the individual games even more so.

World War Z isn't bad, but it's just not my thing. It's definitely more fun if you play online/with friends, though.

Edited by tristy

1 hour ago, RPS said:

Did anyone like Days Gone? What is a good game to get my hubby after he is done that. Obvious zombie games like TLOU and Dying Light he already beat. 

I really liked Days Gone but I know a lot of people that didn't. It did tend to get very repetitive but I loved killing massive hordes of zombies and the shoot 'em up style. It was a nice change of pace from games like TLOU. 

8 minutes ago, punky said:

I really liked Days Gone but I know a lot of people that didn't. It did tend to get very repetitive but I loved killing massive hordes of zombies and the shoot 'em up style. It was a nice change of pace from games like TLOU. 

My partner avoids the hordes and just clears the outposts and kills the odd loner zombie. 

I hate everything. Fuck. I knew this would happen, but I was hoping it wouldn't. Oh well, if they need the extra time, I say go for it. I rather it be a smooth and satisfying experience like the first one than a buggy mess. I'm sure developing for two generations of consoles is hard as well.

• Like 1

Curious on how much ventilation I need for this. Right now it's lying sideways on a shelf on our entertainment console, but the back of the shelf is solid so there's only 5-6 inches between the back of the PS5 and the back of the entertainment console. I only have probably 1-2 inches on each side. This feels very tight and I'm worried about overheating. Should I try moving it to a spot where it can be a little more open to keep it from overheating?

10 minutes ago, damshow said:

Curious on how much ventilation I need for this. Right now it's lying sideways on a shelf on our entertainment console, but the back of the shelf is solid so there's only 5-6 inches between the back of the PS5 and the back of the entertainment console. I only have probably 1-2 inches on each side. This feels very tight and I'm worried about overheating. Should I try moving it to a spot where it can be a little more open to keep it from overheating?

That sounds like the set up I have, and mine does ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, damshow said:

I bought an entirely new entertainment center due to this concern.

I did some reading up on the internet last night and did you know the same chips they use in the PS5 are in the Covid vaccine?

Also, I think I'll be okay with the hole for the wires and the space behind the console. Bigger issue is going to be the need for frequent dusting. We keep our house relatively clean but the living room is carpeted and apparently the PS5 fans just suck in those fibers with ease. If it feels really hot after an afternoon of playing a really graphically-intense game I'll probably elect to stand it up next to the TV.

1 minute ago, damshow said:

I did some reading up on the internet last night and did you know the same chips they use in the PS5 are in the Covid vaccine?

I'm vaccinated, so when can I play the Final Fantasy VII Remake on, uh... me, I guess?

:shifty:

Feel like the timeline for the end of the chip shortage gets worse every week.  Now it’s projected to be mid-2022/early 2023 before PS5 will be readily available.  So it’s just hoping to get a needle in a haystack with the occasional restocks until then.

Going the gaming PC route in January 2020 (and my company had big a supplier discount promotion with Dell around that time), before I had any clue a pandemic was coming, ended up being a case of great timing.  Still want to get one of these bad boys eventually but the PC has helped tide me over.

Will definitely still be salty about some of the games I can’t play though :P

7 hours ago, Buschie Kay said:

Feel like the timeline for the end of the chip shortage gets worse every week.  Now it’s projected to be mid-2022/early 2023 before PS5 will be readily available.  So it’s just hoping to get a needle in a haystack with the occasional restocks until then.

Chip shortage is definitely going to last at least a year. At Nissan, those chips are in the cars we make (we're far from the only auto company affected tho), and the shortage is causing us to only work three days a week, sometimes less, and we've been told this'll last well into next year. We've already forecasted that we're going to make 500k less cars this year than we usually do, and the chip shortage combined with COVID is just destroying everything.

But yeah I'm miffed too, because I wanted to get a disc version of either the PS5 or the Xbox, but it looks like I won't be able to do that for awhile.

Edited by tristy

For what it's worth the chip shortage is likely going to really end at about the time all the Covid-induced game delays also end. I think by the time most people get a next-gen console there will be only 4-5 "big titles" they'd have missed and those are easy enough to catch up on.

I never got a PS4 (the things you do to do well in grad school) so honestly the first year or so of my PS5 ownership is going to really see me just catch up on those games anyway (minus FFVIIR:I and eventually Elden Ring). If I had a PS4 I'd probably just have waited until I could easily get a PS5 instead of going through what I went through. Especially since the disc model is so hard to find and I refuse to be forced into digital-only purchases since I'm a curmudgeon.