Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

Carney Chukwuemeka has had knee surgery after coming off injured against West Ham.

So we're two matches into the season and already two players - Nkunku being the other - have required knee surgery (plus James getting another injury). By the end of October we won't be able to field 11 players at this rate. 😂

Edit: Oh fuck, I forgot Fofana. THREE knee surgeries.

• Admin

Aston Villa have become the fifth Premier League club to sign the Muslim athlete charter, demonstrating a commitment to equality and diversity.

The charter, which is devised by Nujum Sports, recognises the needs of Muslim players and staff at the club, including a checklist to address any requirements.

Two Muslim players - Moussa Diaby and Boubacar Kamara - featured for Villa in Sunday's 4-0 thrashing of Everton.

Villa’s EDI Lead Sam Ghatora said: “We believe that signing the Muslim athlete charter is an integral part of our work in providing support to our Muslim players and supporters.

“By understanding the Muslim faith and cultural needs, we can become more inclusive, welcoming and make everyone feel truly valued and appreciated at Aston Villa.”

Nujum CEO Ebadur Rahman added: "It is an honour to have Aston Villa join over 79 professional clubs from five different sports, who have all pledged to support their Muslim players, fans and staff.

“We will be working closely with the club for the upcoming season to make a positive impact in the sport."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Carney Chukwuemeka has had knee surgery after coming off injured against West Ham.

So we're two matches into the season and already two players - Nkunku being the other - have required knee surgery (plus James getting another injury). By the end of October we won't be able to field 11 players at this rate. 😂

Edit: Oh fuck, I forgot Fofana. THREE knee surgeries.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, shame on knee(s). 

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

Very good. It is surprisingly difficult to find a full list of what other clubs have signed up to it (although apparently around a third of EFL clubs have signed too?).

The PL clubs I have seen confirmed are the likes of Wolves and Brentford... which makes me suspect that the 'big' clubs are not among them. :/

In fairness though I think it's something that's only now gaining awareness, as you say it's hard to find much detail and the main headlines are that a number of county cricket teams are only just signing up. Brentford and Wolves  (and Villa) make logical sense as early adopters demographic wise, I'd be surprised if it didn't spread further given the FA support.

• Admin

An under-16s game between Liverpool and Juventus was abandoned after Liverpool walked off in protest at one of their players being racially abused by an opponent. The incident occurred during a Next Generation Trophy game in Austria on Friday and resulted in the Juventus player being suspended by his club for the rest of the tournament.

A Liverpool player reported being racially abused to coaching staff on the touchline. They in turn instructed the rest of the team to follow protocol and leave the pitch. The match was abandoned and Liverpool were offered an apology by Juventus staff.

A Liverpool spokesperson said in a statement to The Athletic:

“The individual responsible was identified immediately and removed from the competition as a result of the swift intervention of our own players and staff, tournament organisers and opposition management, who have also taken additional disciplinary measures inclusive of education.

“We would like to place on record our appreciation for the prompt actions taken by all involved. This applies most of all to the player subjected to the attack, who showed remarkable maturity in following established protocols, including leaving the pitch, in order to report the matter as soon as it occurred. He is receiving the full support of the club. We would also reiterate that our condemnation of all forms of racist abuse remains unequivocal and absolute.”

Juventus academy staff and the tournament organisers, Red Bull Salzburg, have contacted Liverpool to offer further apologies and check on the player who was racially abused. The Juventus player has been sent on an anti-discrimination education course.

Before their next game against Independiente, Liverpool under-16s took the knee before kick off and were joined by the Argentinian opponents in a show of support.

Bit of a branching thread here, but fundamentally Mike Dean, who was sacked by Howard Webb, has thrown his former colleagues under the bus in his quest to further the Mike Dean brand. I personally think he's talking complete shite, and the reason he didn't intervene in the Cucurella incident is because he's useless, but there we go.

Regardless of what shite he may or may not be talking, he's successfully added yet another layer of conspiratorial speculation onto every future VAR non-decision. I hope he's proud.

Plus it's riled up the elements of Chelsea twitter that happen to be on my feed something chronic, so cheers for that too, Mike.

• Haha 1

Completely random aside, I just checked the lineups for the 3pms for my FPL team. Despite teamsheets basically being a block of text only two of the 3pm clubs add alt text to Twitter, Arsenal and Brentford. Arsenal's is correctly the list of players, Brentford's says "The team news graphic with Bryan Mbeumo smiling". Fucking idiots.

• Like 2

• Admin
40 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Mad how theres Richarlison that plays for Brazil then Richarlison back playing in England. He's been proper plop today 

We looked so much more impressive once son moved central and Perisic came on down the wing. I don't think Richy starts the next league game.

As an aside - it's our year <_< 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1