Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

Chelsea's squad is a mess, they won't finish in the top 8 in my opinion.

Pochettino is a good manager and will probably get them there in time, if he's allowed to steer transfer policy a bit, but the current squad looks as if it's been assembled by Football Manager AI.

The captain is a 23 year old who just got sent off for immaturity, essentially. The vice captain is a routinely injured 26 year old. The only real leaders the team has are Thiago Silva and Raheem Sterling, and I'd argue neither of them are ideal for that role. The rest is a bunch of young and untested players, by and large, some of whom have huge pressure from ridiculous transfer fees coming in. A squad built around Fernandez, Caicedo, Mudryk, Jackson and Colwill is going to experience more days like yesterday for sure.

The first team has only TWO players over the age of 26 in it, the aforementioned Silva and Sterling. There are less than half a dozen others who have more than one full season of Premier League experience, and even some of them are pushing the definition.

Chelsea have top four resources and reputation, a top 4 manager, but a glorified U23s squad and a National league owner.

17 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Liverpool have scored great goals but haven't defended well. Im not sure how much of that is down to Kelleher.

Yeah definitely not great that a concussed Leno is player than him!

In seriousness, the second goal was pretty bad and he should save it. I think people have been a little hard on him for the first, and I think his save on the Paulinha header before the Ream disallowed goal was excellent.