Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

31 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

No shock a man named Heckingbottom had them at the bottom of the league.

Sheffield United appoint Dino Toppmoller as manager.

• Thanks 1

As the resident Blade on here, I do agree it's probably time for him to go. This long term strategy of signing younger players for the future is fine if you're at least competitive in the Prem. But, we just lost 5-0 to fucking Burnley of all teams - time to go. 

Not thriller with Wilder coming in unless its just a short term measure. He's probably getting it on the proviso that there's very little money to spend in January and he knows the majority of the squad etc so theoretically could give them a morale boost. 

We have at least 1 squad position to fill in January (Basham aint gonna be back this season), but I'd personally like to see us turn over 3-5 other squad spots too. 

We're likely down (though our chances are better than they should be due to the generally poor nature of Burnley, Luton and Bournemouth, as well as Everton's financial faux pas), but if we're to make at least a go of it we need some fresh blood and fresh ideas. 

One main downside to Wilder? Like Hecky he has no plan B. I'd rather we got a versatile manager in and gave them til the end of next season to put things right. 

30 minutes ago, Colly said:

There's something about that haircut that gives him very "90s depiction of dystopia future cyborg" energy. Just imagine a couple of strands of hair are coloured wires.

David Squires does pretty much depict him as such in his Guardian cartoon to be fair.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Colly said:

Villa are pretty good.

Unreal. We could have had three or four. Don’t think it is an overstatement to say that tonight was the best 90 minute performance I’ve ever seen from a Villa side.

I also fucking love Leon Bailey. What a boy (also very funny that he had no idea who Martin O’Neil is).

• Like 1

Back in October I decided I'd be satisfied with 4 points out of 18 from the run of games Chelsea have just had. We've come out with 8 points so I'm doubly happy.

Given that all the criticism for Pochettino seems to be "boo hoo, we won't make the top 4 now so dump him", I think it's clear that the reality of a complete club reset still hasn't set in for a lot of online fans. Being competitive for any European spot was a lofty goal this season in my opinion, never mind the Champions League, and the 7 point gap to those positions demonstrates that.

The remaining games this year will be more interesting as they're all against lower half teams, so really need to be taking at least 10 points from the 15 available. Hopefully it also allows Nkunku and Lavia to get some minutes in, as 8 games in 31 days means that rotation will be vital.