NFL 2023

Lineker

Winning really does cure all the pain when you look at it from a big picture perspective.  The last decade as a Giants fan has been miserable for all but two seasons but I still can only get so mad at them.  Those Super Bowls can't be taken away.  So that team has given me by far my highest highs as a sports fan, well ahead of the Mets who gave me a couple of near-misses wrapped around a bunch of joke years, the Islanders who gave me two decent playoff runs in my lifetime, and the Knicks who are the Knicks.

12 minutes ago, Busch Wyatt said:

Winning really does cure all the pain when you look at it from a big picture perspective.  The last decade as a Giants fan has been miserable for all but two seasons but I still can only get so mad at them.  Those Super Bowls can't be taken away.  So that team has given me by far my highest highs as a sports fan, well ahead of the Mets who gave me a couple of near-misses wrapped around a bunch of joke years, the Islanders who gave me two decent playoff runs in my lifetime, and the Knicks who are the Knicks.

Wait we're Islanders buddies?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:

So thinking about teams that have had the most misery. I think it's most brutal when you have hopes and they're crushed. Basically it boils down to me to brutal playoff losses (or the rare late regular season loss). 

I think Minnesota and Buffalo lead this with 4 all-timers each.

Minnesota - Staubach's Hail Mary, Gary Anderson's missed kick, Favre's interception, and Blair Walsh's missed kick

Buffalo - Wide right, Music City Miracle, 13 seconds, wide right 2

Lot of teams have the one or two crushers. Many of them also have a championship (or more) to offset the suffering. Curious if I'm missing any other teams who really fit in this category. I'm not thinking of perennial also-rans like Washington the last 25 years, the Jets the last 50 years, or the Lions until this year. But teams that were good enough to win it all and didn't because of a total catastrophe.

I'd have to agree it's those two. I'd add in Cleveland too, but you have to be older, because they do have The Drive and The Fumble. Heartbreakers.

The opposite of all these teams would have to be the 49ers, though. They have THREE 'Catches' alone!

52 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Wait we're Islanders buddies?

I always forget the Islanders even exist.

• Haha 1

Panthers promote Assistant GM Dan Morgan to President of Football Operations and GM.

Hilarious that the worst team in the sport did a full search just to promote from within.  Wouldn’t be surprised if other candidates realized working for Tepper would be a nightmare and said no.

• Haha 4

• Haha 3

• Like 1

CBS said Bills/Chiefs drew over 50 million viewers, making it the most watched Divisional Round game ever by a mile and the most-watched television program of any kind since last year's Super Bowl. 

Discourse about the NFL being scripted makes for some fun internet jokes and not much else but if you think the league office isn't actively rooting for the Chiefs to get to the Super Bowl this weekend I'm not sure what to tell you.

It is looking like it'll be rainy and sloppy on Sunday in Baltimore. Had no luck getting tickets but with that weather I'm not as bummed.

1 hour ago, Busch Wyatt said:

CBS said Bills/Chiefs drew over 50 million viewers, making it the most watched Divisional Round game ever by a mile and the most-watched television program of any kind since last year's Super Bowl. 

Discourse about the NFL being scripted makes for some fun internet jokes and not much else but if you think the league office isn't actively rooting for the Chiefs to get to the Super Bowl this weekend I'm not sure what to tell you.

It's been every game. Ravens/Texans was ESPN's biggest NFL broadcast ever and I believe just behind some CFP championship games for most-watched ever. The league has had a major buzz about it this year, maybe in part to the writer's strike and actor's strike making people look at the NFL as the thing to follow this fall.

League absolutely will want KC/Detroit Super Bowl. But they'll be happy with any matchup given the market sizes of SF & Detroit, superstar player in Baltimore, and general aura of the Chiefs.

Very happy the Eagles are getting rid of both coordinators. I would take Rivera in a heartbeat. I think Sirianni could do with some veteran coaches in important positions right now, especially the DC.

It has to be said though that the offense was pretty much just as awful as the defense down the stretch, it just didn't get anywhere near the focus. Play calling was consistently awful, the running game was non-existent, seemed to only throw WR screens or verticals into double coverage, Hurts was terrible, and so was the offensive line.