Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

Playing the series from start to back. What is the best approach to do it? Play the originals or are the remakes of the game significantly better?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone with Gen 4/5 still mind trading me some starters on them? Online for the DS shuts down next month and since I'm probably not gonna be buying 2 copies per gen to trade amongst myself, onlines the only way to do it. Of course, there can be issues with the DS not playing nice with any other router encryption than WEP so that's something to consider. I just think it'd be nicer to play through with the things before I move them on to X, rather than just getting babies on there from someone and power levelling them once I eventually get to the 'collect everything' portion of the end game.

Because I'm definitely going get back to X. For reals. :shifty:

Anyone with Gen 4/5 still mind trading me some starters on them? Online for the DS shuts down next month and since I'm probably not gonna be buying 2 copies per gen to trade amongst myself, onlines the only way to do it. Of course, there can be issues with the DS not playing nice with any other router encryption than WEP so that's something to consider. I just think it'd be nicer to play through with the things before I move them on to X, rather than just getting babies on there from someone and power levelling them once I eventually get to the 'collect everything' portion of the end game.

Because I'm definitely going get back to X. For reals. :shifty:

I can help, I have all the starters on my Black so if you just want Gen 4 & 5 can do that, can also do back to Gen 1.

PM me what you want and your Pal code and I'll see what I can do, its going to take a bit of back and forth to get in the same room trading from my experience but should be easy.

Also I believe it depends on the game and the DS in regards to online, for my I've synched by DSi to my connection and Black doesnt really bother me about it, I think if you have Gen 4 they didnt have internet intergration beyond the game cart so thats where the whole WEP thing arrises and I couldent be arsed setting that up but if your fine with Gen 5 lets rock and roll.

I don't actually have B/W yet but I'll be in touch if/when I do. Cheers!

EDIT: Actually, changing tack somewhat, I just realised I do have my flash card so I could always do things that way, I'm just wary of things being 'legit'. Though, around the time the 3DS transfer thing came out, I seem to recall the emphasis being more on whether the 'mon was 'legal' in terms of it's stats, moves etc rather than it's source so I could possibly get away with doing it this way?

Alright I am not sure about trading previous generations mon between the same generation before the National Dex but I'll breed them anyway, worse case I'll have spares.

And as I say if you want the starters from Gen 1-3 just say as well as anything else non-legendary.

Got to love how all the male starters I have bred easy with a Ditto yet my female Torterra took ages.

Also FYI the Nintendo WiFi shutdown is May 20th

Edited by TheWho87

Yo.

I'm playing FireRed. I just arrived at the Safari and my team is: Pidgeotto, Growlithe, Jigglypuff, Wartortle, Gloom and Jolteon, all about level 30. I've also got a Graveler around level 30, but he's taken a back seat for a bit. Is there anything I'm missing from my top 7? I feel it is a pretty diverse group.

Started playing a Wonderlocke and I'm kind of blown away by the start I got. About to take the first gym and I've gotten a Tyrunt, Scatterbug, Torchic, and amazingly a shiny Porygon-Z.

I was planning on keeping my starter, Fennekin (playing with the rule that the run is over if he dies), but after the start I have I think that I might be better to wonder trade him too and just go with what the game gives me.

Damn I haven't had this much trouble with The Elite Four since the first time I played a Pokemon game. I can pretty much run through the first three to get to lance. I can take down a couple of his Pokemon but as soon as he sends Charizard out then I'm fucked. It Wing Attacks Polywrath for a one hit KO and two hits on Machamp. Flamethrowers Magneton then Hyper Beams everything else to death. Bringing out my big gun, Typhlosion, doesn't even work as Overheat isn't quite the nuke on Charizard as it is on everything else.

I did manage to get a little closer in my last try. I hurt Charizard so much he withdrew him and sent out Dragonite. Thanks to revives and Max potions I had Machamp back and was able to take it down with Ice Punch and when Charizard came back out Machamp finally put it away with a Thunder Punch. At that point I thought I was golden. I figured he had a Dragonair left since the rest hadn't finished on their strongest Pokemon. I was so wrong. Next out was an almost level 60 Dragonite that ran over every Pokemon I had left. I've changed out Polywrath with Suicune but that isn't making much difference yet since it's about 10 levels below what I needs to be.

Made it to Lavender Town. Totally forgot that they tore down Pokemon Tower for a radio tower. That thing should be haunted as fuck. I kinda wanted to let Zapdos tear it down. The cheery music trying to drown out the creepy Lavender town theme is a little unsettling.

I almost want to buy a 3DS and this just to do a Wonderlocke. What a great idea.

Having a blast. I just wish I didn't have a tendency to not pay attention during grinding sessions. Loading, the shiny Porgyon-Z, has dragged my sorry team through six gyms though. I just lucked into a Lucario and a Bulbasuar (the Kanto starter I randomly picked) so as long as I'm safe I should be in a good place.

My kids and I have a running gag about Ash leaving all of his sundry mons behind and shedding a tear and going "NO I'M GOING TO LEAVE YOU HERE [PIKACHU / BUTTERFREE / PRIMEAPE / BULBASAUR / CHARIZARD] YOU'LL BE HAPPIER HERE :crying: :crying: :crying:." In our collective family headcanon he's done it to everyone from Froakie to Brock to his own mother to that Arbok he gets one time for the league entrance exam thing.

My kids and I have a running gag about Ash leaving all of his sundry mons behind and shedding a tear and going "NO I'M GOING TO LEAVE YOU HERE [PIKACHU / BUTTERFREE / PRIMEAPE / BULBASAUR / CHARIZARD] YOU'LL BE HAPPIER HERE :crying: :crying: :crying:." In our collective family headcanon he's done it to everyone from Froakie to Brock to his own mother to that Arbok he gets one time for the league entrance exam thing.

I know you're saying that the gag is he does it to everyone, but you're citing four Pokemon he actually does that to...And Bulbasaur, who is simply warming the Ketchum Bench back in Pallet Town :P (Unless he leaves Bulbasaur during the last season of D/P or beyond, which is all I have the DVDs up until.)