The Old XBOX Megathread

zero

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/891/891275p2.html

The Party system, another new feature of the upcoming Dashboard overhaul lets you join up with up to eight friends online and hop from game from game or even movie to movie. If you're halfway through a Netflix movie and notice one of your friends pop online, you can invite them into your Party. If she is also a Netflix member and accepts your request, she will come into the film at the exact point you are watching it, and you can chat and watch the second half together.

Speaking of which, all the themes and gamerpics you have already purchased will work in the new interface. Each channel will display the images that previously were housed on the blades, but on the upper half of the screen only rather than the full screen (see image below). Gamerpics will also still work alongside your avatar.

e3-2008-new-360-dashboard-detailed-20080716052725935.jpg

Whitten said the main channels of the new interface won't be cluttered with ads. Instead there will be a new section – the Spotlight Channel -- dedicated solely to marketing and advertising from Microsoft and its corporate partners. You might see info about an upcoming online event or a pitch for an upcoming third-party game in this section.

One of the coolest changes to the Dashboard is a major behind-the-scenes shift. Currently, if you're playing, say, Assault Heroes 2 with a friend online and want to switch to Carcassonne, you have to exit the game, go to the dashboard, start up the new game and re-invite your friend. With the new Party system you can bring up the guide in Assault Heroes 2, choose Carcassonne and take your whole party to the new game right from there. It's a huge change that should make playing games online with friends much more streamlined.

Major Nelson confirmed on his podcast that Avatars aren't required and that the party system works for every game with Live capabilities. He also confirmed that game installs will work for every game and would never be mandatory.

Edited by abundant

Yes, it deserves it's own thread, but since it's not coming out for quite some time I'll withhold.

Fallout 3 is going to be the game that gets me interested in my 360 again. Oh, and being able to be on Live again come September should help too. If I get Gold (dunno, depends on rent and job situation and such) I will be sure to play some of you guys in something.

Oh, and NHL 09 will get be interested in my 360 again. I mean, Be a Pro mode, the revamped create-a-play, the fucking online, like 'guild' thing they have going on. It's so rad.

Basically, there's a new feature where you create a player, just like in Be a Pro mode and join up with a bunch of other players to form a created team, taking on other created teams in worldwide leagues and the like, with chances to get moved up divisions and a bunch of other stuff.

I read that in GameInformer today, and I am excited. :)

Recently I've been neglecting my 360. Nothing to play, really, and I'm too broke to afford a new game. GTAIV I've just kinda hit a rut in. Maybe I'll smash some zombie heads in tonight for old time's sake.

That game looks fucking awesome, I'm going to out on a limb and say this is going to be the best hockey game in a long while.

That game looks fucking awesome, I'm going to out on a limb and say this is going to be the best hockey game in a long while.

NHL 08 was the best hockey game in a long while, though admittedly, the goalies in 2K8 were just better. The roster issues held back NHL 08 a bit, too.

That seems to be fixed, though, so NHL 09 most definitely ought to be the best hockey game in a long while. The few seconds I saw of Be a Pro mode looks rad, too. The camera angle is pretty bang-on.

My interest in GTA IV is kept alive by the fun I've had in online Free Mode. That's the only reason so far.

I hate Battlefield: Bad Company.

Why is that? It's probably my favorite multiplayer game of 08 so far.

My interest in GTA IV is kept alive by the fun I've had in online Free Mode. That's the only reason so far.

I hate Battlefield: Bad Company.

Why is that? It's probably my favorite multiplayer game of 08 so far.

I hated it too. First of all, I spent more time trying to connect to EA's god awful servers than I played online. And when I did manage to get online, I quickly found out that the game favored the Defenders way too much (I played about 20 games, defenders won every game).

Edited by abundant

It's much harder to win on attack of course. Because you are running at a base where a majority of the people on defense are camping somewhere. I do agree with the server problems, but I haven't had a problem in a couple of weeks.

The main problem is that there is only a 4 person squad that you can have(only get together with 3 other people and you can only talk to people in your squad), but this is being discussed on changing. Also, you often get split up when going into a game. But I like most of the maps, and the gameplay is great for the most part.