The Old XBOX Megathread

zero

I was hyped as fuck for the new Silent Hill, then my excitement kind of dwindled, and it seems like it sucks. :(

I don't see why everyone is saying it sucks. All of the reviews I've read are complaining about what has made the series so great. It seems everyone was looking at it to be RE 4.5 to hold them over until 5 comes out next March and Silent Hill has never been a very action oriented game. I'd say at least rent it if you enjoy the series; I'm picking my copy up tomorrow.

A... buh? What reviews are you reading, man? The game just came out today and I've only seen IGN and one other place with a review out.

If anything, the reviewers are bashing this game BECAUSE it's straining away from what made Silent Hill so immersible and amazing - a feeling of helplessness and doom. I'm still now scared shitless of Silent Hill 2 and one huge reason why is because half the time I'm running around with a fucking crowbar at best, or a gun I can barely fire. Reviewers are bashing the game because it heavily focused upon making the main character seemingly stronger than the creatures of Silent Hill, and the way counterbalance that is to throw hordes of enemies at you. Reviewers aren't ripping on the game for what made it famous, they're ripping on it for straying from what made it famous.

People are complaining BECAUSE the game drifted towards action, which is not what Silent Hill was about. It was about the horribly unnerving feeling, about the fact that your character was in a life and death situation and barely able to fight. Now, you've got a trained soldier, meaning combat is much more an integral part of the game, and people think that takes away from the urgency that was so prevalent in the other Silent Hill games. Funny, because one thing that made the games so unnerving was the shoddy camera and sometimes wonky controls coupled with how weak your character really was. As I said, now you've got a trained soldier with the game focusing on action quite a bit. I can see why people would be disappointed if they were fans of say, Silent Hill 2.

Anyone that was expecting this to be Resident Evil is a fucking idiot. People should expect it to be Silent Hill. I'm still reserving my judgments and I will rent it, but from what I've seen no one's been comparing this game to Resident Evil at all, especially Resident Evil 4.

Edited by Will.

X360 magazine's review seemed like it was bashing the game for its slow pacing, cheap enemies and the like. Haven't all the games been like that?

Also, 1Up has their review out, as well as GamePro. 1Ups looks the most promising. : )

Sorry if this isn't a well thought out response, I'm just really tired.

EDIT: 1Up review: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3170245

Edited by Jack Krauser III

Is anyone else having their console crash when the 'gamertag has signed into Xbox Live' message appears? I thought my adapter was broken because it worked when I took it out but I just phoned customer support and there's an automated message that says they're having trouble with Live right now and to try signing in again later. Hopefully that's what's causing my console to crash, not my adapter.

Edited by AD