2004 Olympics

Guest fullhouse

Incredbile soccer match between Italy and Mali is on CNBC right now for those of you in the U.S.

Men's match? If so keep me up to date with how it ends if you can as it's not on over here in the UK, well not that I know off. I'm pretty sure Italy are playing there secondry team though but still should take a win I hope.

Italy won 1-0 in the 2nd Extra Time period. They move on to face Argentina in the semis.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US is kicking ass in the medal count. Sweet.

Sorry to burst your patriotic bubble a bit but you do realize it's always the same 3-4 countries at the top of the medal count right? And it has nothing to do with athletic superiority.......it's about finances.

Edited by sahyder1

I felt like breaking down after Paula just stopped running and started crying. Everyone knew she was the best there overall and she deserved gold for me and it's so damn sad to see her not finish even in the top three. I really hope she does come back though because she's really a true star. I pray she doesn't feel she's let her down because she really hasn't and I hope she doesn't quit in her career now, she's got my support.

Af for 100m, well GB are all out it seems. I'll tip Maurice Green to retain later in the final, but that's only because I'm a fan of his.

Spoilers maybe...

Gatlin(sp?) won the gold in 100m. Powell was favourite and didn't even get a medal. Like I said, I thought Greene would win it but he didn't manage to this time round but still took bronze. I must say though, I always kind of thought USA would win the gold in 100m.

It's still a shame GB have such shit runners in 100m, I really miss the days of Linford. Also I never follow stuff leading to the event, why wasn't Dwane Chambers here? I always thought he was about our best runner overall and usually gave Greene a run for his money.

Wow. Paula Radcliffe showed what the olympics is all about huh? I mean... you're not gonna win a medal so you quit. That's spirit for ya. Never mind the fact that there's a ton of people who'd kill to be in the Olympics... hell even those that were there and at the back finished. Most of them turned up, knowing they wouldn't get a medal, but they still competed in the spirit of the games. It's ridiculous that such a brilliant athlete couldn't finish the race and accept that on the day she couldn't quite do it. There's no shame in that, as long as you give it your all... hell even if she had pretty much walked to the end it would've been acceptable.

And all the stuff about the heat is rubbish, it's the same for all the other athletes and they managed to cope with it. And you can't say that the other atheltes are used to it either. She knew the olympics would be in athens, where it's hot, so she should be training to acclimatise to those conditions. And it's not like she's never run in that kind of whether. The Japanese girl that won it trained in Switzerland! Completely different whether and she managed to win the race... so that kind of negates the heat argument in my opinion.

No matter how many people comment about all of Paula's hard work, the bottom line is that all the other athletes put in the same amount of work and it's pretty disgraceful for somebody to drop out just because they aren't going to win a medal... it's also very disrespectful to the other athletes who were probably looking forward to racing against her.

It's still a shame GB have such shit runners in 100m, I really miss the days of Linford. Also I never follow stuff leading to the event, why wasn't Dwane Chambers here? I always thought he was about our best runner overall and usually gave Greene a run for his money.

Chambers tested positvely for drugs meaning that, due to British Olympic laws, he'll never compete in the Olympics again. However, I think he got a two year ban or something like that.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Wow. Paula Radcliffe showed what the olympics is all about huh? I mean... you're not gonna win a medal so you quit. That's spirit for ya. Never mind the fact that there's a ton of people who'd kill to be in the Olympics... hell even those that were there and at the back finished. Most of them turned up, knowing they wouldn't get a medal, but they still competed in the spirit of the games. It's ridiculous that such a brilliant athlete couldn't finish the race and accept that on the day she couldn't quite do it. There's no shame in that, as long as you give it your all... hell even if she had pretty much walked to the end it would've been acceptable.

And all the stuff about the heat is rubbish, it's the same for all the other athletes and they managed to cope with it. And you can't say that the other atheltes are used to it either. She knew the olympics would be in athens, where it's hot, so she should be training to acclimatise to those conditions. And it's not like she's never run in that kind of whether. The Japanese girl that won it trained in Switzerland! Completely different whether and she managed to win the race... so that kind of negates the heat argument in my opinion.

No matter how many people comment about all of Paula's hard work, the bottom line is that all the other athletes put in the same amount of work and it's pretty disgraceful for somebody to drop out just because they aren't going to win a medal... it's also very disrespectful to the other athletes who were probably looking forward to racing against her.

Chambers tested positvely for drugs meaning that, due to British Olympic laws, he'll never compete in the Olympics again. However, I think he got a two year ban or something like that.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

She gave it her all, she was cleary injured, what more can you ask for? You go out there and try and run the marathon, see how you feel yeah? She was lacking big time when she was in third and when she slipped into forth she knew she couldn't go on, her body simply wouldn't let her. Would you honestly have wanted her to force herself to the finish line and end up injuring herself even more than what she already had from the looks of it? I certainly wouldn't. Wow she dropped out, big deal. She did what she could and couldn't finish, she still tried though. She certainly has my respect for everything she's done.

Wondered how long it'd take for the "you go and do it" argument to come out. Newsflash, I'm not a professional athlete. I couldn't run the marathan. She is. She can. And she was injured yeah? Where'd you get that from? Show me proof that she was injured and i'll take back everything in my other post. The only excuse which has been given is that she was exhausted, fair enough... but so was everyone else. She didn't have the bottle to carry on knowing she wouldn't get a medal and while I respect everything she's done.... I don't respect what she did today.

I wouldn't have a problem if she dropped out because of injury, but I do have a problem with her dropping out just because she wasn't gonna get a medal. That's like all the teams in the premiership bar the big 3 saying "well, we aint gonna win the league this year... may as well not bother...it's too tiring to compete and not win anything"

She gave it her all, she was cleary injured, what more can you ask for? You go out there and try and run the marathon, see how you feel yeah? She was lacking big time when she was in third and when she slipped into forth she knew she couldn't go on, her body simply wouldn't let her. Would you honestly have wanted her to force herself to the finish line and end up injuring herself even more than what she already had from the looks of it? I certainly wouldn't. Wow she dropped out, big deal. She did what she could and couldn't finish, she still tried though. She certainly has my respect for everything she's done.

Wondered how long it'd take for the "you go and do it" argument to come out. Newsflash, I'm not a professional athlete. I couldn't run the marathan. She is. She can. And she was injured yeah? Where'd you get that from? Show me proof that she was injured and i'll take back everything in my other post. The only excuse which has been given is that she was exhausted, fair enough... but so was everyone else. She didn't have the bottle to carry on knowing she wouldn't get a medal and while I respect everything she's done.... I don't respect what she did today.

I wouldn't have a problem if she dropped out because of injury, but I do have a problem with her dropping out just because she wasn't gonna get a medal. That's like all the teams in the premiership bar the big 3 saying "well, we aint gonna win the league this year... may as well not bother...it's too tiring to compete and not win anything"

Where's your proof that she dropped out for a medal? At least back up your arguements. Once she arrived back at the track part she was being checked over my the medicle guys, so that obviously say's that something was partly wrong. Did you never know she had injuries earlier this year? Did you never know she went into the race not 100%? Maybe she wasn't terribly injured, but she clearly had something wrong and that's why once she arrived back she was being checked over, and that's not me lieing because Sue Barker was the one who told me on BBC1 mate

I don't have proof, it's impossible to get that kind of proof unless she openly admits it. But doesn't it seem suspicious to you that she dropped out right after the 4th place woman passed her and then proceeded to cry like she had just lost out on a medal...

oh... and she may have been checked over but according to what was on the news just now.. "they found no signs of injury"

The only thing I'm tired of is the '(insert name) deserved the Gold Medal'. If you didn't win it, you don't deserve it, its that easy. There is no 'honorary Gold Medalist', there is only the gold medalist.

Go out there and win. If you can't, for whatever reason, then you don't deserve shit.

Correct.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Spoilers

YaY! Canada wins Gold! Kyle Shewfelt is amazing! An amazing moment :D No one in Canada has ever won an Olympic medal in Gymnastics, he opened the door!

Paula Radcliffe isn't injured.

Sixteen athletes dropped out and our two other runners completed the marathon in the same conditions in 25th and 29th including one woman who's nearly 40 and got to the Plympics after being a nobody who did well in the London Marathon.

In my opinion, Paula didn't take the heat into account when planning her tactics, it was bad tactics from her, you can't go galloping off at the beginning unless you're used to the heat. She should have taken in more water. Her core temperature rose too high and she had to stop.

The medical team have said there's nothing medically wrong with her so no injuries. She may well compete in the 10,000 but shouldn't if it's just a knee-jerk reaction.

Kelly Sotherton was great and Dean Macey is looking good for a top five and possible medal. And Kelly Holmes should get at LEAST a silver in the 800 tonight.

Paula suffered from heat exhaustion I've suffered from it doing 10000m before and you just cant continue. You feel awful and cant feel your body it just all goes numb at thta point you just have to give up rather than risk collapsing and you're own health. Gold medal, 1st place at a sports day none of it is worth risking you're short/long term health for.