The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

No the problem is that all these plans are growing faster than the rate at which available wireless space is. So basically too many people will have those bundle plans and they won't work. Dropped calls, problems using the internet, all of that. Then the prices, since it will become a premium resource, will increase.

MLB 12 The Show looks amazing on Vita. It looks like the PS3 version with just a slight graphic downgrade, but it still has all the features like Road To The Show and cross platform functionality. If I get a Vita, it will be for MLB 12.

I was walking past Game at mid day on the 22nd and it said they had one to demo in store. Luckily, no one was on it so I had a quick go. The UI and control interface confused me. I kept on thinking it was running on Android, I expected it to. I kept on trying to navigate the home screen using the d-pad/sticks, but seemingly it only works via touch. I had a go on Ridge Racer. Again, the menus in game were controlled by touch, not the actual controls, which was confusing. I've never been much of a fan of RR, I admit, so wasn't overall enthused by it. Plus, havign X & Square as accelerate/brake seems so backwards now!

I will say though that the graphics were pretty good on RR, but the screen is wonderful. Really crisp and bright, as good as the one on my phone (HTC Desire S). It felt pretty light too, despite the big grip thing on the console (though maybe some of the weight was being supported by the steel cable).

I'm not really fussed by the console itself (except for Uncharted) as I have a smart phone which is capable of doing the things I want as I don't really want to play games on the move any more. It is a very sexy product though, I will say.

I really hope once the launch is out of the way and everything's settled that they work on upgrading the UI, it's dreadful. At the very least, it needs to be more customisable. Ridge Racer is an awful game to have on the demo unit because...well, because it's an awful game. There's also not nearly enough content.

I now have a Wifi Vita. I would have gotten the 3G but it would have involved some kind of annoying monthly deal with a different provider to the one my mobile phone uses AND they want credit card which I don't have here....So Wifi works best to take back to the UK. It also happily connects to the UK store and my account. Happy days.

I got Wipeout with it so hopefully that's good.

Just downloaded a few of the "augmented reality" games - namely the table football (like subbuteo), cliff diving and fireworks.

Cliff Diving is a load of fun, fireworks looked pretty but got a little boring and table football set up well but was tricky to control. It's great though, print off cards with symbols on and put them anywhere for stuff to appear on them through the camera on the Vita. Cliff diving is my favourite so far but the table football showed the possibilities by using six of the symbols to mark the centre circle, goals (so you can change size of pitch), stands and scoreboard.

I now have a Wifi Vita. I would have gotten the 3G but it would have involved some kind of annoying monthly deal with a different provider to the one my mobile phone uses AND they want credit card which I don't have here....So Wifi works best to take back to the UK. It also happily connects to the UK store and my account. Happy days.

I got Wipeout with it so hopefully that's good.

What's your tag? We can totally race when PSN is being a wretched piece of shit? I'm BulletTHEORY27.

How come WipEout is £30? Isn't it essentially the same as the 2048 PS3 version? I'm still undecided on getting it, considering I don't even use my consoles a whole lot nowadays.

There is no 2048 PS3 version. This is effectively a prequel to previous efforts, documenting the beginnings of AG racing shortly after the transition from regular road racing. Hence, lots of wide open tracks on tarmac roads. Very cool. What you might be getting confused with is that there will be a Wipeout HD/Fury pack released for the Vita which will be free if you've already purchased them for PS3.

HamsterOfFury (Y)

Yeah, I actually already had you on my list. shows how often I use my PS3 >_>

I love the grassy tracks, and the stadium one from the first race of the second season, wonderful.

STILL haven't been able to get online though. I managed to play FIFA online, so at least I know my Vita isn't faulty.