The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

I must be the only one here who just couldn't get into Red Dead. I honestly don't know why, the concept was appealing and everything, but the gameplay wasn't my cup of tea. I'll have to give it another try down the road because I want to like it, but it just... it felt too clunky to me. The story didn't catch my interest either though, to be fair, I'm sure had I held out longer with the game it'd probably pick up for me, but yeah. Just couldn't get into it because of the gameplay.

I do remember taking some breaks from RDR while I started off playing it. After I got about 1/3 of the way through the game I couldn't put it down though. You're not the first person who had a difficult time getting into the game, and eventually giving up on it, because of the rather slow start and at times weak story. It all picks up, think of it like reading a book. The first 10 hours you invest in it are worth the next 20.

You say that but I got bored once I started doing things in Mexico. Surely it should have picked up by then? By that point everything started to feel like I was doing it for the 1000th time and the story started to seem like it was getting convuluted.

Edited by Vamp

You say that but I got bored once I started doing things in Mexico. Surely it should have picked up by then? By that point everything started to feel like I was doing it for the 1000th time and the story started to seem liek it was getting convuluted.

Nice to know what happens.

In RDR I did what most people seem to do and stopped in Mexico. Then I went back later and forced myself through and enjoyed it more again, then got to the big town (which I'm guessing was near the end) which gave a nice feel because it really made you feel like an outsider walking through the streets. Then I got annoyed that the game still continued and I decided that there was no point carrying on purely to finish the game.

Red Dead Redemption is more or less a spiritual sequel to Red Dead Revolver. They share a similar setting, but I'm almost certain the stories aren't linked, except maybe for an Easter egg here and there that I'm unaware of. As for the zombies, that would be the add-on pack, Undead Nightmare, for Red Dead Redemption. That's a separate adventure with the same characters as Red Dead Redemption, but with a slightly different style of play.

Check out PS+ for this month.

Journey a week early (full price, no idea what that will be in euro)

Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus HD free

Trine 2 free

Should be one of the best PS+ month in ever.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Unsurprisingly, judging by the video, the official Olympics game will be a disappointment as usual. Sure sure, add in more and more events (looks like a new cycling event is there which is nice - keirin I think) BUT really a good Olympics game should have....

Heats as well as finals.

Events that have more than just one athlete from a country competing in it.

A better "calendar" of events, especially for the track and field events, allowing you to play through a week or so.

Some cooler RPG elements.

Athlete development or training.

But of course it'll sell just by saying SEVENTY NINE EVENTS AND LOTS OF COUNTRIES! OH AND OFFICIAL!

Unsurprisingly, judging by the video, the official Olympics game will be a disappointment as usual. Sure sure, add in more and more events (looks like a new cycling event is there which is nice - keirin I think) BUT really a good Olympics game should have....

Heats as well as finals.

Events that have more than just one athlete from a country competing in it.

A better "calendar" of events, especially for the track and field events, allowing you to play through a week or so.

Some cooler RPG elements.

Athlete development or training.

But of course it'll sell just by saying SEVENTY NINE EVENTS AND LOTS OF COUNTRIES! OH AND OFFICIAL!

Has there ever been a good Olympics game? I've always been tempted to try one, but they never seem to have the games I want.

I quite enjoyed the Beijing and Vancouver games. They're pretty good, if a little bare bones. As Hammy said, it'd be nice to have a full-blown sports-RPG type thing. Perhaps where you have to qualify for the big tournaments, and choose which meets to do so you don't use too much energy up or whathaveyou.