The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

It’s making me want to buy a Switch.  But it feels dumb to not wait until the ones with better battery life come out

Do you plan on playing it undocked most of the time? I can't remember the last time I played it not on my TV. 

13 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Do you plan on playing it undocked most of the time? I can't remember the last time I played it not on my TV. 

I don’t own one, how could I possibly have my play sessions planned out?!  Sure I live alone and would have almost no reason outside of travel to play it undocked but who knows what tomorrow might bring?

• Like 1

I play mine in handheld mode if I'm taking it with me somewhere, like if I have a weird schedule for work or something, or if I'm going to be downtown and waiting somewhere... but 99% of my play is through my TV.

I played for a few hours last night, enjoying it so far! I went for the Golden Deer, and just finished the mock battle between the three houses. It has a neat feature where if you lose a fight (like I did twice) it lets you start over, but with the experience you gained. Claude got a bunch of the kills, so he hit level 5 and I shifted him to fighter. 

2 hours ago, Ruki said:

I played for a few hours last night, enjoying it so far! I went for the Golden Deer, and just finished the mock battle between the three houses. It has a neat feature where if you lose a fight (like I did twice) it lets you start over, but with the experience you gained. Claude got a bunch of the kills, so he hit level 5 and I shifted him to fighter. 

I'm sucking pretty hard so far and getting students killed.... Like two hits and they are done.

Doom 1, 2 and 3 showed up as surprise releases - coming out today and at a relatively low price. They come with all expansions and are low priced... I believe they were up at 4-5 pounds for the first two and 8 pounds for Doom 3... though the listings went down pretty fast. Everyone assumes it was meant to be announced a bit later today at QuakeCon.

EDIT: They're up! 6.49 CAD for the first two and 12.99 CAD for Doom 3!

20 hours ago, apsham said:

Doom 1, 2 and 3 showed up as surprise releases - coming out today and at a relatively low price. They come with all expansions and are low priced... I believe they were up at 4-5 pounds for the first two and 8 pounds for Doom 3... though the listings went down pretty fast. Everyone assumes it was meant to be announced a bit later today at QuakeCon.

EDIT: They're up! 6.49 CAD for the first two and 12.99 CAD for Doom 3!

1 and 2 have local coop, as well. 

I am enjoying the heck out of Three Houses. I've already got like 12 hours into the game and just defeated the first monster. I think they threw the advanced and intermediate classes at you too quickly though. One or two battles after changing people out of Noble/Commoner and into fighter or whatever, I was changing them again. 

3 hours ago, Ruki said:

I am enjoying the heck out of Three Houses. I've already got like 12 hours into the game and just defeated the first monster. I think they threw the advanced and intermediate classes at you too quickly though. One or two battles after changing people out of Noble/Commoner and into fighter or whatever, I was changing them again. 

I'm really liking it too. I'm only seven hours in myself, so I won't talk about story matters, but I'm finding the characters to be interesting and the plot reasonably good. As a Fire Emblem newcomer, the battles are the sort of thing I enjoy too. I'm not sure why I didn't get round to trying the series out before now.

I chose the Blue Lions myself. I was going to pick the Golden Deer, but decided against it because it seems most people are playing as them. I'm interested in how much new content you see by replaying the games as the other houses.

18 hours ago, apsham said:

RetroMania Wrestling - a spiritual successor to WWF WrestleFest is coming to the Switch.

https://www.retromaniawrestling.com/

• Road Warriors
  • Tommy Dreamer
  • Colt Cabana
  • Zack Sabre Jr.
  • Austin Idol
  • Blue World Order

And more to come.

I guess they're hoping for 16 or so wrestlers at launch, with more promised via DLC post-release. I definitely think this is going to be a fun game to play, but I hope that there is something substantial for a career or story type mode to keep me playing.

Fire Pro on Switch would be great also... and there's the CHIKARA video game being worked on that looks like a ton of fun as well.