The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

1 hour ago, Sousa said:

So are you locked out of A-level supports until you hit a certain point in the story? I feel like I've been stalled at B with (of course) Dorothea forever and I'd be cool not having anymore tea parties if I've gotta get to part 2 before we can start properly lezzing it up.

Yeah, as soon as you hit part 2 you unlock most of the level A stuff. 

Also, I ship Lorenz and Dorothea so hard!

9 hours ago, Ruki said:

So no more tea parties for a bit and a hell of a lot more faculty instruction for the rest of Part 1 is what I'm hearing. 👍 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sousa said:

So no more tea parties for a bit and a hell of a lot more faculty instruction for the rest of Part 1 is what I'm hearing. 👍 

I generally only did tea parties on birthdays. I spend a lot of my points on meals for those support boosts and motivation increases.

I've just finished my first Fire Emblem playthrough. I was taking a chance when buying it at full price, but I think I got a bargain. It exceeded all my expectations and has been gripping all the way through. I don't want to say where it would rank in my list of favourite games because of possible recency bias, but I'm struggling to think of many games that hooked me for fifty hours without my wanting to play something else.

Thanks to everyone on here who has talked up the series and made me interested in trying it out. Internet recommendations don't always work out, but this was top notch.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Oh man, I've been loving the super hard SMM2 levels. So frustratingly good.

I am so sick of switches and doors at this point it isn't even funny <_<

I'm even more annoyed with the levels that require ultra hard super precise jumps with enemies blocking your way or ones that involve popping out of a tube only to have an enemy immediately drop on you. It's rare to find a level that fits the mold of something that seems like it could be an actual Super Mario Bros. level.

Yeah I haven't really touched Mario Maker 2 in quite a while, partly because I've had other things to play but mostly because most of levels of people make are just nonsensical.

Even for good levels that are super hard, it sucks that the best way to play those is to run through it multiple times and do trial and error but finding stuff on endless mode like that is counterproductive to actually continuing to play your run.

• Like 1

This leads to my plan for my run through once I've done all the paths...

Spoiler

Save up renown for new game + and max out my support with everyone (except for those you can't recruit for whatever reasons) and try to save every single student, professor and others.

I think it might just break the game though :shifty: 

On 06/08/2019 at 00:28, Ruki said:

But also Lorenz and Hilda....

How is Lorenz this good of a character? He was supposed to be the stuck up bratty noble.

9 hours ago, Ruki said:

You can now play Mario Tennis for free until sometime next week with a Nintendo online subscription. I played a bit, wasn't for me. Glad I didn't spend money on it!

It’s a fun game, but the online aspect is terrible. I can never find matches

You know what? I've hardly played Super Mario Maker 2 either. The online speed courses are somewhat fun, but I've not been engaged or put down the hours I thought I would. The main story is fine even if Mario is a union-busting scab. Not even made my own course yet. That's a shame as it's a waste of £60.

I'm tempted to download Stardew Valley and Ace Attorney despite how I don't like buying non-physical games.

• Like 1

I agree that too few levels on Mario Maker 2 feel like they could be real Mario levels. Sometimes that's part of the fun - thinking outside the box, breaking the mold and whatnot - but quite often it feels like they're designed out of spite.

The beauty of Mario's level design is that it's so rare that you're ever blaming the game, or the design, for your mistakes. I can only think of one instance of a Mario game getting me into a controller-throwing rage because the camera, the controls, or the timing, or an enemy appearing out of nowhere, was the reason I was dying. That, to me, is the sign of a good game - when, even when you keep losing, you know it's because of your error, not because the mechanics don't work properly, or the design is conspiring against you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GA! said:

You know what? I've hardly played Super Mario Maker 2 either. The online speed courses are somewhat fun, but I've not been engaged or put down the hours I thought I would. The main story is fine even if Mario is a union-busting scab. Not even made my own course yet. That's a shame as it's a waste of £60.

I'm tempted to download Stardew Valley and Ace Attorney despite how I don't like buying non-physical games.

I picked up a cheap stylus this morning and I’m hoping to dive into making a few courses. Maybe that will change my opinion of it.

1 hour ago, Skummy said:

I agree that too few levels on Mario Maker 2 feel like they could be real Mario levels. Sometimes that's part of the fun - thinking outside the box, breaking the mold and whatnot - but quite often it feels like they're designed out of spite.

The beauty of Mario's level design is that it's so rare that you're ever blaming the game, or the design, for your mistakes. I can only think of one instance of a Mario game getting me into a controller-throwing rage because the camera, the controls, or the timing, or an enemy appearing out of nowhere, was the reason I was dying. That, to me, is the sign of a good game - when, even when you keep losing, you know it's because of your error, not because the mechanics don't work properly, or the design is conspiring against you.

This is the thing that Nintendo does so well. For as much as the company gets criticised for relying on the same franchises, it's the level design that keeps people coming back for more. I too often find that the most popular Mario Maker levels are just ones that are ridiculously difficult - not in the sense that they're firm but fair, but in the sense that they involve enemies and hazards that are impossible to see. It's just frustration for its own sake.

Someone on twitter said they beat Fire Emblem in 45 hours. I'm at 55... Apparently I'm taking my time. Feels like the game is wrapping soon though? Major spoilers for Golden Deer in part 2

Demetri was pretty fucking useless, no? Shows up got one scene, goes "rawr, revenge!" And attacks the people who had nothing to do with it and gets his people slaughtered. Also feels like part 2 is a bit more rushed than the first.