General Television Thread

Hellfire

On 29/06/2018 at 13:58, Lars Kuyt said:

I'm so glad GLOW is back :D:D:D 

On 29/06/2018 at 14:09, Gazz said:

The eighth episode of the second season might be the most ridiculous and best thing I've ever seen.

Up to E7 now, so really looking forward to E8 after reading this...

Also, I didn't realize Awesome Kong/Kharma was "Welfare Queen" before.  Really surprised because she's a really good actress!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IceLint said:

Also, I didn't realize Awesome Kong/Kharma was "Welfare Queen" before.  Really surprised because she's a really good actress!

That has utterly stunned me. Amazing what a change of makeup does. 

Also, in checking that I realised that Brodus Clay has the worst imdb profile pic around. 

2 minutes ago, Official Collyombia said:

That has utterly stunned me. Amazing what a change of makeup does. 

Also, in checking that I realised that Brodus Clay has the worst imdb profile pic around. 

I had to have a look after you said that and boy, you are not wrong :lol:.

About four episodes into the new series of GLOW, and I'm enjoying it. It feels a bit more of a romp than series one, in a good way. It doesn't feel like there's been much in the way of character development for anyone bar Liberty Belle, with the other girls sidelined even moreso, but we'll see how that goes.

That said, it's good to see Welfare Queen (I can't remember any of the characters' "shoot" names!) getting a bit more time, as she's been brilliant in both series. Bash is amazing this series too.

It was probably sheer exhaustion after three very busy days as much as anything, but definitely got a bit teary-eyed at two points already;

Spoiler

Welfare Queen's son watching her wrestle for the first time, and Cherry being forced to have her hair straightened both really got me.

• Like 2

On 02/07/2018 at 01:12, IceLint said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. That is insane. She's great, I totally didn't realize it was Awsome Kong. 

• Like 1

At the complete opposite end of the spectrum, if anyone has a spare 17.5 hours, the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary series on Netflix is also fantastic.

There's an especially relevant to today bit at the start of episode nine. The Vice President at the time, Spiro Agnew goes on TV and cherrypicks and misquotes a student protest leader, claiming that she's inciting students to bomb buildings in an attempt to sow fear and distrust of the younger, anti-war generation in the older, pro-war generation. Then the next segment shows the US / South Vietnamese push in Cambodia to close the Ho Chi Minh trail being an utter failure with thousands killed, wounded and captured. They play a tape of Nixon and Kissinger discussing the operation as a complete failure and saying the South Vietnamese army is not even close to being able to compete with the North Vietnamese. Next shot is Nixon in a televised address saying that the operation was a complete success and because it was so successful and the South Vietnamese army is so capable, they're going to be pulling American troops out at an increased rate. People think the politics of fear and 'fake news' is a new invention, they've been at this for decades.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gazz said:

People think the politics of fear and 'fake news' is a new invention, they've been at this for decades.

I'm currently reading Edward Bernays' "Propaganda", from 1928, along with accompanying essays on the changing perception of propaganda in the pre, inter and post-war years. Nothing new under the sun, just the means of distribution have changed.

I echo the love for Ken Burns' Vietnam, though. The man is an absolute master at this sort of documentary, and it's among his best. It's a time period that got me interested in American political history and political life a long time ago, and I don't think many people have done a better job of exploring it than Burns.

Back to GLOW, I think the only downside this series has been that it feels less of an ensemble cast. While other characters seem to get their own little sub-plot now and then, it's very much the Ruth and Debbie show. On some level I'd say that's deservedly so - not just because their story is the heart of the whole show, but because both of them put in phenomenal performances way ahead of anything they were doing in season one - but it does feel like the rest of the cast have been sidelined and not given nearly enough to work with. 

Atlanta is absolutely golden TV. 

The dialogue is so sharp and witty, and the actors all bounce off each other so well. Blitzed the first season in a day. Would fully recommend it to anybody else.

Paper Boi is quickly becoming one of my favourite characters from any show. The Montague episode pretty much had me in stitches the entire time.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Atlanta is absolutely golden TV. 

The dialogue is so sharp and witty, and the actors all bounce off each other so well. Blitzed the first season in a day. Would fully recommend it to anybody else.

Paper Boi is quickly becoming one of my favourite characters from any show. The Montague episode pretty much had me in stitches the entire time.

Brian Tyree Henry should win an Emmy for his reactions to the shit going on around him alone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, livid said:

Brian Tyree Henry should win an Emmy for his reactions to the shit going on around him alone. 

Completely agree. His facial expressions are just perfect. Examples of his best reactions would be to the kid that said he isn't Paper Boi and also during that drug deal when he's speaking on the phone to Earnest. Top drawer comedy gold. 

I think Donald Glover might be some sort of creative genius. 

• Like 1