World Cup 2010 Thread

South Korea will need to play better than they did today to come close to Argentina. Greece were shit more than SK were good.

And Argentina would've won about 6-0 if it wasn't for a combination of poor finishing and great goalkeeping.

South Korea will need to play better than they did today to come close to Argentina. Greece were shit more than SK were good.

And Argentina would've won about 6-0 if it wasn't for a combination of poor finishing and great goalkeeping.

The same could almost be said for Nigeria though. They had numerous chances and completely fucked them up. If they actually played simple fucking passing in the final part of the pitch, they could of had five or six as well. Argentina looked way too light at the back and as mentioned already, against a higher opposition, they'd of been leaking goals.

I actually fancy Korea to at least get a draw. Argentina could come out super in attack, but that alone isn't going to win them the tournament.

England 2-0 USA

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

I hope England wins since it'll crush most of the board if you guys lose to the US. Aside from the 3 or 4 diehard American soccer fans, even a 4+ goal beatdown wouldn't really bother most of us on this side of the Atlantic.

Either way, I just don't want people to get their hopes up too much like what happened when USA beat Canada in the prelims in the Olympic hockey tournament and then lost the gold medal game. If the USA wins today, then the hype monster will really be unleashed and ESPN has already overdosed on soccer this week. I really don't need to see any more segments on how the US is going to win the World Cup if everything breaks a certain way.

I'll go with 2-1 England.

• Like 1

CONFIRMED ENGLAND XI v US

Green, Johnson, King, Terry, A Cole, Lennon, Lampard, Gerrard, Milner, Heskey, Rooney.

...and from the Team USA Twitter account.

Howard; Cherundolo, DeMerit, Onyewu, Bocanegra ©; Donovan, Bradley, Clark, Dempsey; Altidore, Findley

2-1 US

• Like 1

Wow. I cannot believe Bradley is starting Findley over Buddle. That is fucking awful. Findley has pace, and that is it. He cannot pass well, and he cannot finish to save his life. Buddle has good size and strength, and can actually finish, something the USA will need if they're going to draw England. For anyone who follows US soccer, it is decisions like these as to why Bradley has had so many critics over the past year and a half. I just cannot see how Findley does anything for America, although I would love to be proven wrong, as I want to escape this opener with a point.

I'm so happy to see Green in goal, especially as I've seen him bashed so much lately. I know David James has the experience, and is better at communicating, but Green's the better talent, and as a Hammers supporter, always good to see a Hammer starting at the World Cup. Surprised to see Milner starting - I thought Joe Cole deserved it more - but I think he could definitely cause him problems.

While I want USA to win or get a draw, I'm going with England, 1-0, or 2-1. Wayne Rooney will absolutely rape Jay Demerit and an un-fit Gooch. Tim Howard may be a phenomenal keeper, but I cannot see him saving America here. America's only chance is to catch England on the counter, especially without Barry in the line-up, and Glen Johnson bursting up the right a lot.

Wow, ABC actually has a one hour pregame show for the game that is starting now.

That shouldn't surprise you at this point. ESPN had a 3 hour World Cup preview the other night and there was at least an hour special devoted to coverage of the two games which they showed last night, not to mention coverage before and between the two games. ABC/ESPN is all in on this, at least until the US is eliminated.

Wow, ABC actually has a one hour pregame show for the game that is starting now.

That shouldn't surprise you at this point. ESPN had a 3 hour World Cup preview the other night and there was at least an hour special devoted to coverage of the two games which they showed last night, not to mention coverage before and between the two games. ABC/ESPN is all in on this, at least until the US is eliminated.

They have been all in so far and I give them full credit for it. Far better then previous World Cups where they sent maybe one reporter and used to do the PBP from Bristol, CT. They didn't just said guys over this time, they sent guys who are legitimate soccer guys and still are good sportscasters. Schaap and Bob Ley immediately jump to mind. Fowler and Trico are solid as the studio guys too. Looks like they'll be using Schaap on the sidelines today. Still getting used to the analysts so I'll hold back judgement there.

Thursday ESPN had a 3 hour preview show followed by a one hour US Team preview. Yesterday they aired all the games with heavy coverage on Sportscenter. In the evening they also had a 2 hour highlight show for the day's play (I'm guessing they'll be doing that daily).

I have absolutely no faith in Robert Green at all.

I still find it hard to even see him as the number one. I just don't get how Hart is third choice. The inexperiance stuff is utter bollocks if you ask me and let's be honest, he's by a million miles the best keeper out of the three. Poor distribution or not as the media are trying to make out, I'd have chosen him all day long.