World Cup 2010 Thread

The Spain/Netherlands final was the most watched soccer game in US history. Not bad for a nation "that stopped caring after the US was eliminated". Really fired up for 2014 and if the US lands 2018. Soccer on TV during the evening and nights will help even more.

Can anyone tell me how the BBC/ITV both airing it works? Did they both air semi finals too? I know earlier in the tournament they were splitting the early and late games. Also what kind of cable/dish tier are each on. BBC crushed the ITV numbers.

Sorry to bring this up so late, but I have just noticed it. If the US were to get either the 2018 or 2022 tournaments then I believe it would be an absolute travesty. For the fact that you have just hosted one, for the fact that it in each set of nominations there is better candidates in each, and because I want to go to one of the tournaments :shifty: .

If 2018 doesn't go to England then there is something wrong with the selection process. The home of football should not have to wait this long to host another World Cup. They have the stadium, they have the fans, they have the transport links, and it is right on my doorstep.

2022 will either go to Qatar or Australia. Both areas of the world, the middle east and the back of beyond, where the World Cup deserves to go!

2026 looks to be America's best shot at getting the World Cup to me.

The reason the US will get the World Cup again, and pretty soon, is because of the massive size of the stadiums here. The smallest stadium used would probably seat 65,000. I think Qatar gets it in 2022 and it goes to England or Russia in 2018, agreed on both notes. But 2026 would very likely then go to the Americas and Brazil is hosting in 2014 which, quite frankly, leaves Mexico and the US. Mexico canceled their bids for 2018 and 2022, so I doubt FIFA is all too eager to grant them the World Cup in a future bid. For a little while at least.

Looking forward to 2014 though, flights to Brazil aren't too expensive!

I'm also looking forward to Brazil '14, as I'll be back in Venezuela by then so I'll be going on a road trip. :w00t:

The Spain/Netherlands final was the most watched soccer game in US history. Not bad for a nation "that stopped caring after the US was eliminated". Really fired up for 2014 and if the US lands 2018. Soccer on TV during the evening and nights will help even more.

Can anyone tell me how the BBC/ITV both airing it works? Did they both air semi finals too? I know earlier in the tournament they were splitting the early and late games. Also what kind of cable/dish tier are each on. BBC crushed the ITV numbers.

Sorry to bring this up so late, but I have just noticed it. If the US were to get either the 2018 or 2022 tournaments then I believe it would be an absolute travesty. For the fact that you have just hosted one, for the fact that it in each set of nominations there is better candidates in each, and because I want to go to one of the tournaments :shifty: .

If 2018 doesn't go to England then there is something wrong with the selection process. The home of football should not have to wait this long to host another World Cup. They have the stadium, they have the fans, they have the transport links, and it is right on my doorstep.

2022 will either go to Qatar or Australia. Both areas of the world, the middle east and the back of beyond, where the World Cup deserves to go!

2026 looks to be America's best shot at getting the World Cup to me.

Like I said before, I'll be shocked if the US is not hosting 2018 or at worst 2022. So what if the US hosted it in 1994? Europe has had 2 World Cups since that time and like was mentioned before Mexico isn't in a position to be bidding right now. England has the infrastructure to host it....great. No one said anything about that but lets not act like the US doesn't. FIFA is trying to help the grow sports here (and rightfully so) and bringing the World Cup back here will go a long way towards that. We'll find out on December 2nd as FIFA announces both 2018 and 2022 hosts on that day.

Obviously, as an Englishman, I want England to host it in 2018. But if we're talking what's best for football? I would say USA or Russia. But, England would be a great World Cup. In terms of 2022, Qatar is definitely my vote. The Middle East need to get in the game more. Their money already is, so why not their physical beings?

But yeah. USA would make some good money. But Russia would be a strong statement, considering it was not THAT long ago they were hidden behind the Iron Curtain, blocked away from the rest of the world.

Out of curiosity, where would the US have the final?

I know it was in the Rose Bowl in '94 but there are better facilities nowadays with Cowboys Stadium and New Meadowlands to name 2.