World Cup 2010 Thread

It's the major thing I have missed whilst living in Spain. The BBC coverage for sport is just really good, it's been hard watching games here as they only have the 8.30 kick offs on cuatro and all Spain matches on Telecinco (not that I watched the final in a house!). I was overjoyed when Iniesta scored the goal that won Spain the World Cup, the Dutch played horrible tactics and the roar that happened in Barcelona city centre when he scored was amazing. Grown men started to cry like crazy, it was an amazing experience and I consider myself very lucky to have been a part of it, the crowd were even happier that it was a Barcelona player that scored the winner (although to be fair seeing as 7/11 are Barcelona players it would be sort of hard for it not to be!). The party continued all of yesterday and last night, and will probably go on for many more weeks and months, genuine joy here and so they should be. Sad that I will probably never experience this feeling with England though. After this World Cup I really have given up on the idea of England ever winning the cup, that was supposed to be our best team and I just can't see us ever being able to overcome the Spanish, German, Brazilian etc. teams of the future. Spain have really got it bang on right now, their league is technically outstanding and with 77% of it's players available to Del Bosque it's no wonder they do so well.

Edited by Sam

The nederland players played of a very violent way, they only wanted to hurt the players, De Jong should have received the red card for his kick to Xabi Alonso, he could break the ribs.

But finally Spain is the World Champion in our first World Cup Final, and in 2 years we will win the Euro 2012, and then the Brazil World Cup 2014 :D

I have to admit finding the fuss over De Jong's kick a little amusing. Last November, Jonny Evans took Drogba out with something virtually identical. In the penalty area. Evans wasn't booked. Drogba was.

Okay, so I kind of took liberties with my use of the word 'amusing', but I guess context is everything.

Yeah. Apparently Martin Atkinson took that as a sign of fakery.

I mean really. Surely everyone's seen enough Drogba fakery to know that studs-to-chest-induced-spasming isn't part of his usual routine. :shifty:

Only because we move our emotional goal posts, so to speak.

Chelsea fan: "OH GOD, WE DREW WITH BLACKBURN, THIS IS BULLSHIT. NOW WE HAVE A MARGINALLY LOWER CHANCE OF WINNING THE PREMIER LEAGUE AND MIGHT HAVE TO MAKE DO WITH SECOND. RAAARGH."

Darlington fan: :rolleyes:

Oh of course, it's all relative. I mean, I'd much rather have the frustrations that face Arsenal, than those that face Darlington.

That said though, in relative terms, when you're in a certain category you are frustrated by and are elated with the associated outcomes. What those outcomes are, are relative to the category (be it top 4, or lower level club). Simply being at the higher end doesn't make it any less agonizing/rewarding.

The notion that being frustrated at simply being "one of" the top 4 isn't lost on me however.

I walked past someone today wearing the US away strip. Dunno if it's a result of the teams performance in the world cup, but it's weird seeing it on some guy in scotland, of all places.

• Like 1

I have to admit finding the fuss over De Jong's kick a little amusing. Last November, Jonny Evans took Drogba out with something virtually identical. In the penalty area. Evans wasn't booked. Drogba was.

Okay, so I kind of took liberties with my use of the word 'amusing', but I guess context is everything.

I also found Alan Shearer crying over the fouls after the game amusing as well. England stood for hard rough football for years (and still kinda does), just look at Millwall back in the day, yet he finds this repulsive? Roy Keane is probably De Jong's number one fan.

• Admin

Apparently during the celebrations last night, Puyol and other Barca squad members plus Pepe Reina held Fabregas whilst they forced him into a Barcelona kit.

Utterly fantastic :lmao:

'Breaking news' on SSN right now - Iniesta is blaming Pique and Puyol but reiterates that he wants Fabregas at Barca.

I can't stand the coverage of the World Cup final anymore, I'm just going to ignore it all. Supposedly every card was deserved for the Dutch, I guess I just imagined Iniesta falling over the air to give Van der Wiel a card :rolleyes: No mention of Puyol fouling Robben when he went through. No mention of the corner that should've been given. Webb is proud of how he whistled, while he clearly was a negative force in the game (De Jong should have been red, Iniesta at least yellow when he elbowed Bommel, Puyol red). Spain is like the Dutch team of 74 and 78, they can do no wrong.

When talking about the Spanish team landing with the world cup, they said "and here you see the captain of the Spanish team walking out with the cup above his head, which stands in contrast to the rest of his team who preferred diving". Was good for a chuckle.

Some of those Dutch tackles were utterly lethal, but still, Spain won the World Cup based on playacting and two teams playing them who abandoned all sense of the tactics they used successfully beforehand.

I also found Alan Shearer crying over the fouls after the game amusing as well. England stood for hard rough football for years (and still kinda does), just look at Millwall back in the day, yet he finds this repulsive? Roy Keane is probably De Jong's number one fan.

a) Whilst I get the point you are trying to make, Roy Keane is Irish.

and

b) There is a bit of a difference between hard, rough football and cynical football.

That, and Alan Shearer wasn't exactly known for all the players he kicked about the place....apart from that one time against Leicester >_>

I can't stand the coverage of the World Cup final anymore, I'm just going to ignore it all. Supposedly every card was deserved for the Dutch, I guess I just imagined Iniesta falling over the air to give Van der Wiel a card :rolleyes: No mention of Puyol fouling Robben when he went through. No mention of the corner that should've been given. Webb is proud of how he whistled, while he clearly was a negative force in the game (De Jong should have been red, Iniesta at least yellow when he elbowed Bommel, Puyol red). Spain is like the Dutch team of 74 and 78, they can do no wrong.

The fact that Iniesta may have dived for one of the yellows doesn't really excuse that most of them were well worth the yellows, or even potentially more. As for the Puyol decision, it has probably been overshadowed by the fact that the Dutch went out and tried to kick a team off the park. As for Iniesta and Bommel, if it is the incident I think it was, he didn't even elbow him, he flicked out a leg at him, which whilst still punishable, isn't anywhere near as bad as elbowing someone.

I backed the Dutch, I like the Dutch, but you are clutching at straws with a lot of your complaints about the game. I can understand being annoyed, but if the referee had stopped being this 'negative force in the game' like you suggest, your team would probably have come out of this game a hell of a lot worse. It was the referee's leniency that allowed Holland to even keep a foot-hold in the game.