Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

• Admin
Manchester United has signed a new deal to have its shirts sponsored by US car brand Chevrolet.

The deal for an "undisclosed amount" is for seven years and begins from the 2014-2015 season, the club said.

Chevrolet, which is made by General Motors, takes over from current sponsor Aon.

Manchester United was recently called the most valuable club in sport, worth $2.23bn (£1.43bn), according to Forbes magazine.

Chevrolet is only the fifth shirt sponsor in the club's history.

"This is a fantastic, long-term deal for the club," said Manchester United's commercial director Richard Arnold.

"They are a key partner on our current tour and I know they have enjoyed experiencing the buzz generated by our fanatical support and the sell-out crowds in South Africa, China, and Europe."

Earlier this month Manchester United applied to list on the US stock market in a share sale aimed at raising a minimum $100m (£64m).

The club has been controlled since 2005 by the Glazer family, the billionaire US sports investors who also own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers American football franchise.

• Admin
Aston Villa have announced that captain Stiliyan Petrov is in remission and winning his battle against leukaemia.

"It is with great delight that we can confirm on behalf of our long-standing captain, Stiliyan Petrov, that Stan's acute leukaemia is in remission," said an official Villa statement.

"Stan's fight is not over. There will be further battles to overcome in the days, weeks and months ahead.

"But he would like to share with you this tremendous news now."

Petrov, who was first diagnosed with acute leukaemia in March, has undergone four months of chemotherapy, during which he was kept in his role of club captain by new Villa manager Paul Lambert.

But his latest medical tests have brought the 33-year-old Bulgarian his happiest news yet.

"Stan would like to take this opportunity to express his deep gratitude to the medical staff who have looked after him so well since his condition was diagnosed just over four months ago," continued the club statement.

"He also wishes to place on record again his profound sense of appreciation for the incredible outpouring of love and support he has received from Villa fans, his team-mates and colleagues at the club, as well as football fans and many more people around the world during this period.

"He and his family have been moved by the depth of feeling stirred in so many people and he has taken great strength from it, too.

"On Stan's behalf, the club would like to thank everybody for continuing to respect Stan's privacy and his family's throughout his ongoing battle against acute leukaemia and for those who have raised awareness of the condition.

"Stan remains very committed to this crusade going forward."

• Admin
Manchester United’s Rio Ferdinand has today [Thursday 2 August] denied an FA charge of improper conduct in relation to comments posted on Twitter.

The allegation is that the player acted in a way which was improper and/or brought the game into disrepute by making comments which included a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race.

The player has requested a personal hearing.

Sir Alex Ferguson has denied speculation that he stands to benefit financially from Manchester United's imminent share flotation in New York.

There were reports that club employees would benefit from a share incentive scheme, including Sir Alex.

"There is not a single grain of truth in this allegation," he said in a statement sent to the Manchester Evening News and other papers.

The club plans to raise as much as $330m (£210m) in a share listing.

A Manchester United spokeswoman confirmed the statement, but refused to release a copy to the BBC.

The club has been controlled since 2005 by billionaire US sports investors the Glazer family, who also own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers American football team.

"Being aware of the media coverage that is currently ongoing I felt, on this occasion, that I should make my position clear to the Manchester United fans," he said.

"In regards to suggestions that I have praised the Glazer family because I stand to financially benefit from the proposed IPO, there is not a single grain of truth in this allegation.

"I do not receive any payments, directly or indirectly, from the IPO.

"Ultimately, I run the football side of this club and in order to do this, you need backing from above. The Glazer family have let me get on with my job - there is no interference or obstruction, only support.

"I am speaking out because I do not want a situation to develop whereby the media and other parties create a rift, however small, between myself and any Manchester United fan. I've spent 25 years of my life pushing this club forward and not only could I not have done it without those fans, I do it for them."

In documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the football club recently said it would sell 16.7 million shares at between $16 and $20 each, raising as much as $330m for a 10% stake in the club.

Manchester United was recently called the most valuable club in sport, worth $2.23bn, according to Forbes magazine.

United has said it plans to use the proceeds to repay debt.

The club currently has £437m of debt and £70m in cash. The Premier League giant, which came second last season and have won a record 19 titles, is listing on the New York Stock Exchange.

If we counted every time Liverpool hit the woodwork last season as a goal. Liverpool would be in the champions league.

• Admin

Chelsea captain John Terry has denied a Football Association charge for his part in last season's incident with QPR defender Anton Ferdinand. Terry has, as expected, requested a personal hearing.

Anders Lindegaard has signed a new four-year deal with Manchester United, extending his stay at Old Trafford until the end of the 2015-16 season.

http://www.guardian....-21-competition

The Premier League has confirmed the creation of a new Under-21 competition to bridge the gap between clubs' academies and their first team.

The first national showcase for Under-21 players will launch on 17 August when Chelsea host Manchester City and Reading visit West Ham. Teams from 17 Premier League and six Championship clubs – in effect all those who applied for category one status – will be divided into three groups.

From January the sides will then be placed into three pools based on their performance, leading to a knockout stage and final. The emphasis will be on playing Under-21 players with each team limited to three over-age outfield players and one over-age goalkeeper.

"Each stage of a player's development is tailored to ensuring they have the best possible chance of progressing," said Richard Scudamore, the Premier League chief executive.

"The new league addresses one of the most critical points – the transition from academy football to the highest standards in the first team.

"We believe this competitive environment, where fans can also come along to watch the next generation of Premier League and international players, will help deliver more talented home grown boys to that next level."

National Group 1: Arsenal, Blackburn, Bolton, Everton, Norwich, Reading, West Brom, West Ham.

National Group 2: Aston Villa, Manchester United, Newcastle, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Tottenham, Watford.

National Group 3: Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Fulham, Liverpool, Manchester City, Middlesbrough, Wolves.