Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

You know, it's only the fear of finishing below the Champions League places (again) that prevents me from completely letting go and enjoying Chelsea's season as some kind of bizarre farce. Not in the sense that I idolise CL football per se, but rather the fear of the unknown of what might happen to Chelsea next.

I miss the Ranieri era in that respect, where none of this mattered. "Finished 6th did we? lol, okay then. BRING ON THE MIGHTY ST. GALLEN!"

Don't usually post club banter, but this made me laugh. From Nufc.com.

Euphoric at having made a winning return to the side on Tuesday night, Steven Taylor proudly announced that:

"The feeling at the final whistle was the best I've ever experienced in a black-and-white shirt. It's the best I've ever had during my time at Newcastle."

Lovely, super, smashing, long may it continue etc.

However, we just couldn't help feeling a certain sense of Deja vu at the defender's comments, especially that F word...feeling:

"Once it went in, it was just the best feeling." (Nov 2006 scoring his first senior Newcastle goal)

"The Gallowgate End were singing my name. It was the best feeling I have ever had." (Feb 2007 recalling his senior Newcastle home debut) "I was in the squad for the Germany game, and it was the best feeling warming up at Wembley." (Sep 2008 playing for England U21s) "I was a ballboy, too, and that was the best feeling ever." (Mar 2009 recalling his teenage years)

"It was the best feeling ever to get back in the game." (May 2009 after scoring against the smoggies)

"Running out at St James's Park in front of 52,000 is the best feeling in the world." (Jul 2010) "I think we feel lucky to be here, especially the local lads. It's the best feeling ever." (Apr 2011) "When I saw it go in the back of the net, it was the best feeling ever." (May 2011 scoring against Chelsea) "It meant a lot to me - it was fantastic. It was the best feeling." (Jul 2011 captains team on USA tour) "For us it's the best feeling ever." (Aug 2011 beating the mackems)

"I'm living the dream so for me it's the best feeling ever." (Nov 2011 playing for Newcastle) "I was wearing a protective boot for a while, but that came off at the end of January and it was the best feeling ever." (Feb 2012 on returning to training)

• Like 1

For the first time this season, I think after the Chelsea game, we ( Reading) can actually survive. We have all the teams around us to play at home, and if we continue our January form into Feb and March we will make it over the line.

All we need is Le Fondre to keep up his scoring record, Kebe to run more directly at defenders, Pogrebnyak to show a bit more muscle up front, and Morrison to return to his pre injury form and we will be fine.

After the City game on Sunday, we play none of the top half away (Chelsea, Everton, Spurs, West Brom and Swansea are all at home) so looking at the fixture list i'm quite happy with that outcome considering our home records better than our away record plus our overall record against the top 10 this season has been pretty crap (N)

Managed to get a ticket for the West Brom game though...thought I might as well considering the autocup scheme this year hasn't exactly worked out what with us playing both our only FA Cup games away and the one Capital One Cup game we had at home we got beat to Swansea.

Had a quick look at Wigan/Villa and Readings last games and even though there is 14 games left to play, the times that are going to be crucial are March and the the final 5 games. I think Reading could depending on how they do before the final 5 games could be in with a good chance of surviving. Although they have Man.City to play its their final home game whereas Villa have to play Man.Utd away and Chelsea at home, with Wigan playing Spurs at home and Arsenal away....Big fixture though final game with Wigan playing Villa.

March is vital for those 3 teams, Reading have Everton, Arsenal and Man.Utd away with Villa at home, Wigan have us, Newcastle and Norwich at home with Man.City away and Villa have City, QPR and us at home with Reading away.

• Admin
Premier League footballer Raheem Sterling has been charged with assaulting a woman.

The 18-year-old Liverpool and England winger from Woolton, Liverpool, was summonsed to Liverpool Youth Court on a charge of common assault.

Police said a 27-year-old suffered "slight" facial injuries in an alleged incident in Toxteth on 2 November.

Mr Sterling did not attend the hearing but his solicitor said he denies the allegation.

He said the alleged offence took place when the footballer was 17 but, as he turned 18 in December, the matter should be transferred to the adult courts.

Solicitor Mick Hogan said: "I do have instructions to the effect that Mr Sterling will be pleading not guilty to this charge.

"He is aware of today's hearing and the club are very supportive."

The move to the adult courts was supported by the prosecution and Chairman of the Bench Brian Upton adjourned the matter to Liverpool Magistrates' Court on 22 February.

Sterling made his senior international debut for England last November against Sweden.

Michu and Fernando Torres are both left out of the Spain squad for their game against Uruguay.

West Brom midfielder George Thorne will be out of action for up to eight months with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament, the club have confirmed. The 20-year-old suffered the injury during the first half of Wednesday's Premier League encounter with Everton at Goodison Park.

Didn't know whether to put this in the January transfer window or not but...Supposedly according to Sky Sports News and David Sullivan, we've agreed to sell Andy Carroll to West Ham next season but it all depends on whether or not Carroll wants to go or not.

• Admin
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson denies a Football Association charge over comments he made about an official after the game at Tottenham Hotspur last month. Ferguson accused assistant referee Simon Beck of failing to give Wayne Rooney a "clear" penalty.

Shock horror!!