Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

What? How is man utd floating on the stock market relevant. In the business sense it'd be like asda having to confirm or deny if an area manager was leaving to the stock exchange. If it was the ceo I could understand but the manager?

What? How is man utd floating on the stock market relevant. In the business sense it'd be like asda having to confirm or deny if an area manager was leaving to the stock exchange. If it was the ceo I could understand but the manager?

Because Fergie is so important to the club.

Stock would surely fall if there was a chance the club may be on the way down should a new manager could in and fuck everything up.

For example, if Moyes came in and United finished 6th, stock would fall.

I agree with that but I can't see why they'd be obliged to confirm or deny it, which is what I inferred from Johnnys post. I could see them choosing to deny it if it weren't true but I can't see why they'd confirm it unless they had to and I can't see why they'd have to.

The club is on the stock exchange and there's a written agreement of some sort that means that an announcement has to be made within a certain amount of time and the story either confirmed or denied.

Fair enough radio 5 just said something similar, seems a little odd but it seems true. Is that something exclusive to Ferguson or any major change in personnel? Would they have to declare the sale of Rooney too?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was all a bit premature though and he's actually going to leave in 12 months time after splashing big this summer and having one more crack at Europe.

Fair enough radio 5 just said something similar, seems a little odd but it seems true. Is that something exclusive to Ferguson or any major change in personnel? Would they have to declare the sale of Rooney too?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was all a bit premature though and he's actually going to leave in 12 months time after splashing big this summer and having one more crack at Europe.

I'd expect Ferguson is a much bigger issue and something that would basically demand a confirmation or denial. As I said, there's apparently an agreement in place for that to happen and also the risk of stock falling if the club fails to do so, which just won't be allowed to happen. I'm not too sure regarding Rooney, expect not though considering recent rumors regarding him and no denial or confirmation regarding them. That and of course Fergie's departure would be pretty massive and something that quite a lot of people involved in the club would need to know about and have released to the public due to this stock exchange stuff.

Agreed really, I still can't see him walking away without another shot at European glory and a couple more signings to finalise his final squad for us. Unless it's a health issue, which I can't see considering his comments the other day.

Read someone mention the possibility of Moyes going there as an assistant manager for a season then taking over at the end of next year. I'd say it's pretty doubtful as can't see Moyes being a number two even for a year, but wouldn't rule it out if guaranteed the job permanently. Can't see there being much in this story mind, one of those that I'll believe when I see it

I see no need for Moyes to serve some kind of apprenticeship under Fergie for 1 year. He's an experienced PL manager, sure managing Man Utd is a different proposition to managing Everton, but relegating himself to an assistant to "learn the ropes" would be a step backward for him, IMO.

I agree. Moyes doesn't need to be an apprentice. Unless he becomes manager and Fergie stays on to oversee him as Director of Football or something.

Has all this come from the Telegraph then? I'd be surprised if he's packing it in, was talking just the other day about how excited he is for the future of this young squad he's got. Only thing I can think of is that his health is getting to him.

Agreed with brenchill on that one, if anything I could see Fergie staying on as a director of football/footballing advisor role for a year or two if they wanted to phase Moyes in.

I've won more Premier League titles, more FA Cups, more League Cups and more Champions League titles than Fergie and I'm not even mentioned?

Awful journalism.

I refuse to believe any news stories posted by Nerf! :P

It'd be really weird to see SAF go if true. Doubly if Moyes went to United. I'd look forward to United never winning at Anfield ever again though.

Apparently Everton have called an EGM tomorrow. Not sure when that was called, though, so it could just be a coincidence.

A coincidental EGM? :/
Like I said, I don't know when the EGM was called, it could have been called on Monday to discuss something about moving grounds or anything really, nothing to say they've called this because Moyes is leaving.