nPower Football League Thread 2012/13

Lineker

• Admin
Portsmouth boss Michael Appleton is on a two-man shortlist for the Blackpool job, BBC Radio Lancashire reports.

It is thought that Appleton's move now hinges on the two clubs agreeing compensation, with the other candidate not currently in work.

Tangerines chairman Karl Oyston says that the club are closing in on a swift replacement for Ian Holloway, who moved to Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Appleton, 36, has previously been linked with Bolton and Dirty Claret & Blue Dingles.

The other contender is understood to be one of Paul Ince, Owen Coyle and Phil Brown.

Coyle, who was sacked by Bolton last month, has also been linked with the vacancy at Bloomfield Road after guiding Dirty Claret & Blue Dingles to promotion to the Premier League, as has Ince, who has been out of work since leaving Notts County.

Brown's last job was with another Lancashire club, Preston, but he was sacked by the Lilywhites last December.

Assistant manager Steve Thompson, who has been in caretaker charge, had expressed an interest in the job.

Appleton moved to Fratton Park on a three-and-a-half-year deal last November from his role as assistant head coach at West Bromwich Albion, but his time has been crippled by financial problems and he has been forced to completely rebuild his squad.

The former Manchester United trainee was unable to prevent the club being relegated from the Championship earlier this year and they currently lie 15th in League One, seven points off the play-off places.

He initially joined West Brom as a player in 2001 and also had spells at Lincoln, Grimsby and Preston but was forced to retire from playing because of a knee injury in 2003.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20205238

Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway says it he left Blackpool because he was afraid of losing his passion.

Speaking to the Blackpool Gazette, Holloway says: "I was tired of feeling like it didn't matter if I won or lost.

"I just need to feel the threat of getting sacked again, and having to get up, and wanting to get up.

"I don't think I had the same buzz going in every day, I think the players could feel it."

Holloway, who led Blackpool to promotion to the Premier League in 2010, also says the decision to leave Bloomfield Road was prompted by a fear of letting down the supporters.

"I was desperate not to let anyone down, particularly those wonderful fans," Holloway tells the Blackpool Gazette.

"I started to become paranoid about not being able to achieve what we'd achieved again.

"We won promotion in our first year, had a great year in the Premier League, then almost did it again. This season was almost an impossible task for me to pick myself up again.

"It's nothing to do with how I am with anyone at the club, other than myself."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20206072

Manchester United youngster Sean McGinty has joined Carlisle United on a one-month loan deal this afternoon.

Looks like United are shipping out a few youngsters now that we're out of the League Cup.