Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

That trailer is so SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Heaven forbid a movie about a man dressed as a Bat and an alien raised on a farm turned newspaper reporter who chooses to wear blue tights have any levity.

• Like 2

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think BvS was fine for a teaser trailer. I would have preferred a little less be given away in the AoU trailers. Now when I go see AoU I'm going in concerned I've seen the majority of the big scenes already in the trailer. We got spoiled with the marketing for Ultron.

I imagine we'll get a few more trailers for BvS before it's release, each one focusing more on a different character. I disagree that this trailer didn't add anything of value. It showed us the world they're living in, thus explained to some degree to non-educated viewers why Batman might be stepping up to Superman. But at the same time, we don't see Superman abusing his power or being anything less than uncomfortable being treated like a God. This doesn't seem like something he chose, but was forced upon him. He could still be the sweet natured, innocent farmboy we wanted him to be in MoS rather than the moody teenager. Time's passed, hopefully he's matured. All of the news soundbites sound super Fox newsy like Lex Luthor's been feeding them his propaganda. I really want to see Luthor in the next trailer, because I think that's where things will get more interesting.

And visually, I thought there were a lot of really great scenes. Superman bringing the shuttle (or whatever that was) back to Earth safely, Batman on top of the skyscraper, the light-up eyes. I don't care about the staredown nearly as much as other scenes that define who the characters are down to their core

I think BvS was fine for a teaser trailer. I would have preferred a little less be given away in the AoU trailers. Now when I go see AoU I'm going in concerned I've seen the majority of the big scenes already in the trailer. We got spoiled with the marketing for Ultron.

I imagine we'll get a few more trailers for BvS before it's release, each one focusing more on a different character. I disagree that this trailer didn't add anything of value. It showed us the world they're living in, thus explained to some degree to non-educated viewers why Batman might be stepping up to Superman. But at the same time, we don't see Superman abusing his power or being anything less than uncomfortable being treated like a God. This doesn't seem like something he chose, but was forced upon him. He could still be the sweet natured, innocent farmboy we wanted him to be in MoS rather than the moody teenager. Time's passed, hopefully he's matured. All of the news soundbites sound super Fox newsy like Lex Luthor's been feeding them his propaganda. I really want to see Luthor in the next trailer, because I think that's where things will get more interesting.

And visually, I thought there were a lot of really great scenes. Superman bringing the shuttle (or whatever that was) back to Earth safely, Batman on top of the skyscraper, the light-up eyes. I don't care about the staredown nearly as much as other scenes that define who the characters are down to their core

See, what you've summarized sounds pretty good, a fairly straight up Batman/Superman film, that sounds like it could be a good watch. Problem is, we know there's way more going on than that. More characters, likely with more plot points, each taking up valuable screen time and reducing the time the Batman/Superman storyline has to be told. It's a recipie for a messy, poorly planned film that tries to do too much at once.

That trailer is so SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Heaven forbid a movie about a man dressed as a Bat and an alien raised on a farm turned newspaper reporter who chooses to wear blue tights have any levity.

Exactly.

I don't understand this idea that Batman is some super serious pinnacle of the superhero format; he's a super-rich martial arts expert who drives a rocket car and is also the world's best detective and he's friends with Superman. That's not exactly King Lear, it's a character as invented by a twelve year old boy.

One of the biggest, amongst many, failings of Nolan's trilogy was that he seemed to feel ashamed of making a superhero movie. Superheroes are camp, they're stupid, and yes you can tell interesting stories within that genre, but it's silly to try and pretend they're something they're not. The Avengers works, for me, because in spite of being a bit of a mess, it's unashamedly a comic book movie. Batman tries to be super serious and "realistic" to try and reach the "dark and gritty" benchmark it's set for itself, but without altering the character at all - so he's still The World's Richest Most Famous Coolest Man Who Ladies Love, Who Knows Kung-Fu and Drives A Spaceship Car, but we're expected to be impressed by how serious and realistic the whole thing is. Give me a fucking break.

And this trailer suffers because it's taking an absurdly silly concept - again, it's WHAT IF THE SUPERHEROES FOUGHT EACH OTHER, a twelve year old boy concept - and trying to drag it into that consciously "serious" orbit without any sense of irony, so it comes across as po-faced and ridiculous for not having the slightest sense of humour or self-awareness.

Also, it's completely devoid of content, any new ideas, or anything remotely appealing. So there's that.

• Like 6

Man, you guys are taking this trailer more seriously than the trailer does.

Yeah I'm surprised to see so much debate over a 2 minute clip one year before the movie even comes out.

That said, I'll admit MOS was pretty disappointing and missed the mark. It wasn't awful, just average. That said, this looks really promising and honestly it could look terrible and I still would go see it. I think the Batsuit looks fantastic. He looks like he jumped straight from a comic panel. It seems weird to critize the movie for not being comic-y enough then turn around and nail it for the suit not looking as realistic as Batman Begins. If there's one thing I think Snyder will nail, it's the visuals.

Superheroes are camp, they're stupid, and yes you can tell interesting stories within that genre, but it's silly to try and pretend they're something they're not.

BvS probably shouldn't be this grimdark thing, but there should absolutely be dark superhero movies that take the subject matter seriously, even if it's inherently silly. Daredevil was amazing, and I really liked the first two Nolan Batman movies. I really like what the Avengers was, but not every superhero movie has to be that. Maybe Batman vs Superman should be though.

• Like 3

I loved the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy for the reason Skummy said, they are unabashedly fun. That said I don't see why superhero movies have to be lighthearted and silly, there's definitely room for seriousness as I loved the Nolan batman films but I don't think it's really working here.

Or yeah pizza can just put it better for me :shifty:

• Like 2

I like the idea of people not automatically being accepting of Supes. He wrecked a whole city after all. I just I don't know something is off about that whole thing. I'll still see it and all because if you are based on a comic I know you automatically get my money but I just hope at least Flash is funny or something.

Also good call Maxx I knew I liked Glowing Eye Batman for a reason :P

• Like 1

I loved the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy for the reason Skummy said, they are unabashedly fun. That said I don't see why superhero movies have to be lighthearted and silly, there's definitely room for seriousness as I loved the Nolan batman films but I don't think it's really working here.

Or yeah pizza can just put it better for me :shifty:

For the most part, I agree with this.

I agree that not all comic book movies need to be light and fluffy. The important thing is to play to the tone of the characters. That's why Nolan's Batman movies worked, it's why Guardians of the Galaxy worked, hell, it's why Blade worked. It's also why Superman movies rarely work, and this trailer gives me no hope that they're going to fix that.

Yea, that didn't look terrible like I thought the movie would be.