The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

I imagine coordination of your feet and vision to see passes/shots is somewhat genetic. If I had a son and took him out of school and forced him to practice football every second of his waking life, that doesn't mean he'll end up on 300k a week.

Lionel Messi wasn't born a better footballer than you or I, he's just practiced more and better.

You can't honestly believe that.

I grew up playing football every day of my life. I was just an average player. The kids who were miles better didn't practice more, they were just better football players. I would imagine that was the same with the likes of Messi, Ronaldo or even Danny Simpson as a kid. They were just good players and better than the other kids.

That's like saying I could have been a Doctor or a brain surgeon if I studied harder. It was never going to happen.

It's definitely a bit of both, though. And the luck of being seen by the right scout who can put you in a set-up where you can develop significantly. I was always a very decent footballer, understood the game, but was in no way physical, fast or fit enough to keep up with players who I was technically better than. That's the kind of stuff you have to really work on, and I didn't, and I was only ever average. So yeah, bit of both.

Lionel Messi wasn't born a better footballer than you or I, he's just practiced more and better.

You can't honestly believe that.

I grew up playing football every day of my life. I was just an average player. The kids who were miles better didn't practice more, they were just better football players. I would imagine that was the same with the likes of Messi, Ronaldo or even Danny Simpson as a kid. They were just good players and better than the other kids.

That's like saying I could have been a Doctor or a brain surgeon if I studied harder. It was never going to happen.

Why not? Sure, someone taller and more physically developed will probably be faster and/or stronger than you (it's not a coincidence that English professional footballers birthdates skew massively into September, October and November due to that being the school year cutoff point). It's what they call 'purposeful practice' too, you and I could both play a 90 minute football match every day for the rest of our lives, but if I never get the ball, my first touch is never going to improve.

A good case in point is the Polgar sisters, in the late 60's their father theorised that he could 'create' a Chess grandmaster by making his children practice. He made them practice, all day, every day, thousands of hours cumulatively. All three sisters became grandmasters in their teens and the youngest, Judit, is regarded as the greatest female player whose ever lived.

David Beckham is another example, spent thousands of hours spread out over his childhood striking a deadball at a spot painted on a wall and ends up one of the best free kick takers there has ever been.

I don't think there's any argument that practice and dedication is a massive part of it, but that doesn't preclude people having natural aptitude for something. There'll have been plenty of kids at the Barca academy with Messi, some of whom may have worked harder than him, who just haven't made it despite similar training.

Beckham is a great example of training and dedication getting you so far, but it still left him as a fairly limited footballer.

• Like 1

On the other hand he's fucking Victoria so obviously he has something going for him, genetically.

Toni Kroos has said his future has yet to be decided and the PL remains "an option" for him.

It's very unlikely that he'd end up at United, but it'd be awesome if so. Not sure who he'd replace to fit into the midfield but it'd be a top, top signing.

Yeah, Man Utd are a really small shitty club, right?

No but Kroos is a world class player who already plays regularly for the best team in the world. If he's moving to England next season, I'd assume he'd want a boat load of money and Champions League football. He can get that at a number of clubs, United not being one of them.

No but Kroos is a world class player who already plays regularly for the best team in the world. If he's moving to England next season, I'd assume he'd want a boat load of money and Champions League football. He can get that at a number of clubs, United not being one of them.

But, being that it is Man Utd, they can surely sell to potential signings the belief that if this top player signs, they will be back in the Champions League within a season. Plus the usual it's Man Utd, Old Trafford etc. etc. will factor in to attracting players. If they finish 7th, it will harm their chances of signing players the calibre of Kroos due to competition but it won't make it impossible for them to do so.

But, being that it is Man Utd, they can surely sell to potential signings the belief that if this top player signs, they will be back in the Champions League within a season. Plus the usual it's Man Utd, Old Trafford etc. etc. will factor in to attracting players. If they finish 7th, it will harm their chances of signing players the calibre of Kroos due to competition but it won't make it impossible for them to do so.

Not impossible but if I were Kroos I'd have serious doubts about them turning it around that fast. Especially if a bewildered David Moyes is still at the helm.

If a player has no emotional ties to United, I don't see any reason to choose them over the top Premier League and European Clubs. Fergie's ghost and the promise of a bright future can only get you so far.