2014 FIFA World Cup

Starvinho

I can appreciate it in a national sense though, if you have a connection to that country.

I love Ghana, Chile, Mexico and a few others in this World Cup. But I have no links whatsoever to the countries. I like them, but they aren't "mine".

Bosnia 1-0. Dzeko with a good finish from 20-yards.

...and Iran nearly hit back straight away! Unlucky.

Edited by Starvinho

• Admin

Yeah I don't get that. There are two countries I'd say "our" about; the US and maybe Norway, and since Norway is too awful to qualify for a tournament I can actually watch I can't even confirm I'd say that in spite of my dual-citizenship. With countries it's weird when I see "our" for countries people have no relation to.

How did I go this long without realising that GoGo is a Norwegian!

In '94, Leonardo fractured Tab Ramos' skull and got a four match ban. Mauro Tasotti broke Luis Enrique's nose, causing him to lose a pint of blood, and got an eight match ban. It really shouldn't be any more than that - it seems people are wanting Suarez' punishment to reflect the "weird" factor rather than actual damage caused.

In 2010 Luis Suarez got a seven match ban for biting a player. In 2013 Luis Suarez got a ten match ban for biting a player.

It should be more than both of those.

Yeah I don't get that. There are two countries I'd say "our" about; the US and maybe Norway, and since Norway is too awful to qualify for a tournament I can actually watch I can't even confirm I'd say that in spite of my dual-citizenship. With countries it's weird when I see "our" for countries people have no relation to.

How did I go this long without realising that GoGo is a Norwegian!

I don't mention it a lot and I haven't actually been in Norway in seven years, which is by far the longest period of time I've spent away. I keep saying I'm going to go back in the summer and then I never do because money :/

Anyway, shit, I've bagged on Argentina but Messi has shown up big time for this World Cup. He could propel them pretty far.

It's more because I'll never be able to say it otherwise, considering Malaysia will never ever make the World Cup, at least not in my lifetime. Hell, they don't even make it to the Asian Cup. I've supported Argentina ever since I was five, and it's turned into where I used to support Argentinians for other sports too. It's why I used to love Nalbandian and Coria, and how my fandom for the Spurs in the NBA began. It's not exactly hurting anybody, is there? You guys can find it dumb, but Argentina are like the only country I support when it comes to international football.

I supposed I could start a badminton thread and throw all my ours into there, I guess?

• Like 2

I think it's fine if Ben uses "we". If he feels affiliated to the team (and, as he just stated, has been supporting them since childhood) it seems fair that he feels like they're a part of him. Despite the fact that the Cowboys are in Dallas, I use "we" when I speak about the team just like I would the Heat. Nothing wrong with it.

• Like 2