2014 NFL Offseason Thread

Lint

This is the first time I can ever remember a player from my alma mater having a chance in hell at potentially signing with a NFL team. Octavias McKoy, RB from WCSU. Had a monster year and even set the NCAA single-game rushing record which unfortunately got broken weeks later. I'm not expecting him to get drafted, in fact the official draft tracker doesn't even list him. But I do have hopes that he'll at least sign somewhere as an undrafted rookie. I'd be shocked if he didn't at least get brought in to rookie minicamp by a team. Yeah it was Division III, but still a crazy good year.

Teams get something like 90 roster spots in pre-season. Plenty of room to bring in some unknowns and see if someone catches fire.

I am so over the NFL Draft. It's only fun because I like to see where college players I like go. NBA Draft has the entire fate of franchises hanging in the balance, you rarely get that in the NFL Draft.

The inverse of that is that the NFL's actual games are often better because there is a lot more parity between the teams. You won't often see an NFL team flounder in the middle of the league for years because they haven't tanked for a top 3 pick.

But I'm so against a 4th day of the draft. I only watch the first three rounds at most anyway.

Edited by PatDaMan

I am so over the NFL Draft. It's only fun because I like to see where college players I like go. NBA Draft has the entire fate of franchises hanging in the balance, you rarely get that in the NFL Draft.

The inverse of that is that the NFL's actual games are often better because there is a lot more parity between the teams. You won't often see an NFL team flounder in the middle of the league for years because they haven't tanked for a top 3 pick.

But I'm so against a 4th day of the draft. I only watch the first three rounds at most anyway.

Dallas Cowboys

• Like 7

Dallas Cowboys

I like when you remind me why everyone hates you.

• Like 1

I love the draft too but I much preferred it when it was just all weekend.

Totally this. I actually enjoyed making an afternoon/evening of the draft with my dad and brother, watch three rounds and actually get a whole day of the draft. I hated moving it to Thursdays when Goodell announced it, and I still hate it now.

Regarding the Lions, they better not fucking draft that TE from North Carolina. We have two capable TE's right now as it is, our defense is shit (still), and we don't need to be taking a TE that already has "drops too many passes" as a negative. We've had enough problems with dropped passes in our history, we certainly don't need to take a player at a position we don't need that drops passes. I'd rather us trade away our second rounder then take this guy, it would be the worst pick the Lions could make in the first round.

Dallas Cowboys

I like when you remind me why everyone hates you.

Oh come on Maxx, you walked right into that one :P

Yep, sure did walk right into that one with all those things I said that Cheese quoted and replied to.

I know nobody else cares, but Terrelle Pryor got traded to Seattle for a seventh round pick.

Dude way over-estimated himself. Yeah, he was exciting, and gave Oakland their best chance to win last season, but the team definitely needed an upgrade at QB, and Pryor wasn't happy with that. The Raiders spent way too much on him in the first place (a third rounder in the supplemental draft, I think), but at least they got something back for him instead of just cutting him.

Curious what Seattle will do with him, since they have Tavaris Jackson, who's much better than him, as their back-up, and Pryor has said before that he won't change positions.

If he has a good enough preseason I could see him going in as the primary backup but I would assume the extent of their use of him will be mimicking Kaepernick in practice.

That's kind of disappointing for him. He was a HUGE deal at Ohio State (then again, so was Maurice Clarette and we know how that ended) and then just fell off of the earth before last season. His arm is good, but there are so many QB's that can do what he does and do it better in today's game. He's still really young, so he definitely has time to improve, but it's not like he's going to be behind a severely experienced QB.

The 49ers just exercised the 5th year option of Aldon Smith's contract.

Most probably don't care about it but I find it amusing because Mike Florio was adamant they weren't going to a couple weeks ago.

• Like 1

I know nobody else cares, but Terrelle Pryor got traded to Seattle for a seventh round pick.

Dude way over-estimated himself. Yeah, he was exciting, and gave Oakland their best chance to win last season, but the team definitely needed an upgrade at QB, and Pryor wasn't happy with that. The Raiders spent way too much on him in the first place (a third rounder in the supplemental draft, I think), but at least they got something back for him instead of just cutting him.

Curious what Seattle will do with him, since they have Tavaris Jackson, who's much better than him, as their back-up, and Pryor has said before that he won't change positions.

I like that Russell Wilson is the 3rd highest-paid QB on his team.

• Like 1

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10874550/2014-nfl-draft-moving-back-nfl-draft-puts-rookies-greater-disadvantage

Pretty good article regarding the draft, and how moving it later could put rookies at a disadvantage with development. The writer also makes a good point about the NFL backing down to Radio City Music Hall for the reason of "moving the draft date" due to the draft and another event conflicting. Basically, it's the NFL draft, the NFL can tell them to fuck off and move their draft anywhere in NY they want, and I'd imagine it's Radio City Music Hall that would want to keep the NFL draft, not the other way around. Instead, they use the conflict of scheduling as an excuse to move the draft because they want to move the draft (Goodell: "Because fuck you that's why").