The Barclays Premier League Thread 2014/2015

brenchill

I think that if someone comes in and picks a team because they're the best, or because they have a silly name (like I did) it really doesn't matter. You can rib them but it doesn't matter. If someone supports a team that were once flying high (like, say, Leeds. Or Portsmouth.) and have the bottom fall out from under them, and they're still your team, then that's what matters. Not why you picked them.

Got to see Jonas' strike from yesterday to seal survival for Newcastle. What a great, feel good moment.

Which pretty much sums up Matt's point. It's been an awful season, but that was wonderful. Despite the relief of scoring we were cursing Sissoko for getting a stupid shirt off booking with half an hour to go, double standards were firmly applied for Jonas.

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see if Cabella and Rivière come good next year. Cabella had a few glimpses of brilliance while Riviere was often quite good just horrifically unlucky along with his confidence shattered. De Jong will be like a new signing again too.

Give me all the defenders though!

I know yeh we get beat 6-1 yet still finish over 10 places ahead of you, boy your team is shit.

Constantly hovering above the relegation zone and the odd cup final every 15 years must be fun. I'll just enjoy having seen us win near enough everything in my life time while you can enjoy being a fan of a mediocre club.

This is the dumbest attitude. Not every club can win everything, but it's still fucking brilliant to follow your club. Sure, I remember our champions league run and our UEFA cup seasons but even if I didn't, I thoroughly enjoy supporting my club. Even the heartbreak of 2 relegations, being on the verge of liquidation and 2 playoff final fuck ups, in hindsight, I've enjoyed. I'd prefer us to be in a better position than we are at the minute but I wouldn't trade the rollercoaster I've been through in my football supporting lifetime for anything else in the football world. The idea of being a scum or Chelsea and winning everything all the time or being a Liverpool or Spurs fan and consistently coming 5th/6th with a good cup run every other year doesn't sound half as appealing as that night in Carlisle where Johnny Howson scored with seconds to go to put us in the playoff final or the final whistle at Old Trafford when a third division side humiliated Fergie's English champions.

Too many football fans don't know what being a football fan is all about.

So you're only a football fan if you support anyone below the top 6? Is that pretty much it?

That isn't what he said.

He said he gets more enjoyment out of following his team, no matter their standing or perceived mediocrity than he would just picking a team that's going to win something (like Chelsea or United) most seasons, or teams that wont win something but will finish high and get knocked out of semi finals (like Liverpool).

Pretty much this, coupled with a bit of complaining about fans of top teams moaning about their "lows" (you know, finishing 7th one year or not winning a trophy for a few years).

While I agree with the general point, to disregard the "lows" suffered by fans of more successful clubs is almost as silly as disregarding the "highs" of less successful clubs.

It's a nonsense to throw back any disappointment a fan might feel with something worse, as though that invalidates their experience. If you start with "Oh, you only finished 5th? POOR YOU", then the same thing could be done to nearly every fan all the way down the football pyramid. "But are you two days away from liquidation after four successive relegations? No? Then shut up."

And the Europa League is a lovely and criminally underrated competition. :shifty:

I miss the straight knockouts from Round 1 in the UEFA Cup.

This.

I don't mind the Europa League but I preferred the UEFA Cup. It's a bit of a champions league knock off. That and teams finishing 3rd in the Champions League entering it annoys me.

• Like 1

That's the one downside for me - CL drop out teams, but I doubt that will change because it means more money for UEFA.

In other news to interest Liverpool fans, Divock Origi has been named in the worst Ligue 1 team of the season.

Seeing Arsenal win the FA cup last year was one of my favourite moments as a football fan. Doesn't really matter to me if they've won it before or won the league or whatever. It was still really amazing.

Similarly I'd absolutely love for Arsenal to win the Europa League. It's cool being champions league and i obviously want to go as a far as possible but I wouldn't be annoyed if we did well in the Europa league too. Quite possibly we'd be better suited for it atm.

• Like 1