The Capital One Cup thread 2015/16

Lineker

Was at the Walsall/Chelsea game tonight.Obviously the gulf in class ended up being the deciding factor, but I feel like the 4-1 result may be slightly harsh on Walsall. There were points when they took the game to Chelsea, and had a couple of close chances to score in the second half. Result was always going to be a pretty obvious one, but Walsall have a lot of positives to look at coming out of it.

Man City v Crystal Palace

Liverpool/Carlisle United v Bournemouth

Man United v Middlesbrough

Everton v Norwich City

Southampton v Aston Villa

Sheff Weds v Arsenal

Hull City v Leicester City

Stoke City v Chelsea

Dull dull dull from my perspective.

I'd go along with that. Our tie could be tricky as Boro surprised a few in the cup last season.

I was confident about our ability to beat Barnsley, had to come from behind to do it.

I was confident about our ability to beat Reading, had to come from behind to do it.

Now, not so confident of our ability to beat Norwich. <_< 

• Admin

Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur will not be punished by the Football Association following crowd trouble during the north London derby on Wednesday.

Fans in the away end were pictured damaging hoardings in the upper tiers as Arsenal won 2-1 at White Hart Lane.

The Metropolitan Police have arrested 10 spectators for a range of offences at the League Cup tie, including criminal damage.

The FA says the matter is a criminal issue and they will assist the police.

Did they pick that before Carlisle went out? I'm probably slightly biased but I'd much rather have seen Man Utd v Boro than an all Premiership tie. Would be a nice gesture for those not prepared to pay the disgraceful £45 Man Utd will charge too.

Did they pick that before Carlisle went out? I'm probably slightly biased but I'd much rather have seen Man Utd v Boro than an all Premiership tie. Would be a nice gesture for those not prepared to pay the disgraceful £45 Man Utd will charge too.

Sky...nice gestures? Bwahaha 

Sky...nice gestures? Bwahaha 

A nice gesture from Sky is their broadband working properly between 5-11pm.

• Like 2

• Admin

Manchester United and Manchester City have been cleared to play their next Capital One Cup ties at home on the same evening. Given the respective capacities of the clubs’ stadiums it means up to 130,000 fans could be involved in travelling to the games and Greater Manchester police is working to avoid “disorder”.

On 28 October United host Middlesbrough at 8pm at Old Trafford, while across town City face Crystal Palace at 7.45pm at the Etihad Stadium.

Chief Inspector Dean Howard from Greater Manchester police’s force events unit, said: “Due to the football fixture schedule, both Manchester United and Manchester City are scheduled to play their League Cup ties at their home grounds on Wednesday 28 October.

“This is an unusual situation, although it is not the first time we have had this happen. Both teams played at home against different opposition on the same night in 2009, in the same competition. GMP are working with both clubs, and other partners, in an effort to minimise any disruption to local communities and reduce the risk of any disorder taking place.”

In September 2009 City faced Fulham at home as United played Wolverhampton Wanderers at Old Trafford, also in the League Cup.

Two years ago before then, City had played Paris Saint-Germain in a Uefa Cup tie while United played Blackburn Rovers in the League Cup.

Because I bought tickets for the pre-Olympic GB game at the Riverside I get Boro ticket emails (too lazy to stop them), and tickets for this game range from £45-55. For a League Cup tie. Fucking disgusting. Quick Google confirms Man City are charging £15.

• 4 weeks later...

Not exactly freshening up the squad for the League Cup... Baba, Mikel and Oscar are the only changes.

Chelsea team v Stoke: Begovic; Zouma, Cahill, Terry (c), Baba; Ramires, Mikel; Willian, Oscar, Hazard; Diego Costa.

Chelsea subs v Stoke: Amelia, Djilobodji, Azpilicueta, Loftus-Cheek, Traore, Kenedy, Remy.