UFC News and Discussion Thread

I think Stann has a good shot as long as he can find ways to counter Chael's wrestling, it'll be a fight that goes to the ground but that doesn't mean the better wrestler has to win. I'm pumped to see Leben crush Koscheck, think he's not gonna let himself be sat on for 3 rounds. He'll make sure Josh has to fight for the win.

Brian Stann Beats Chael Sonnen Via Submission in Round 2.

Stann by submission is the most unlikely outcome in my eyes.

Greg Jackson, Brian Stann and everyone with a brain knows that Chael Sonnen is going to take this Fight to the Ground and everyone knows he has a huge gap in his game in his BJJ Defense, if Stann isn't practicing his Triangle Chokes for the next 3 Months ill be shocked.

Would this huge gap be the one that a black belt in BJJ and Judo couldn't exploit for 23 minutes of Sonnen's last fight? The mistake Sonnen will learn from?

Brian Stann's BJJ is possibley the worst aspect of his game, he has no flashy submissions and in the past has relied on his strength and stand up skills to force a fighter in to a position where he can submit them. He doesn't match up with Sonnen well, his take down defence may not be up to the Chael Sonnen test and we could see Chael begin his road back to the top of 185 with this one

Diego Sanchez vs Matt Hughes at UFC 135 in September.

Wasn't this reported months ago? :P

Seems like a pointless match, Sanchez should be fighting a fellow possible contender, not somebody irrelevant to the division's standings. Hopefully if he wins, we can get Sanchez/Condit out of this, though.. Make it 5 rounds, just for increased insanity.

Seems like a pointless match, Sanchez should be fighting a fellow possible contender, not somebody irrelevant to the division's standings. Hopefully if he wins, we can get Sanchez/Condit out of this, though.. Make it 5 rounds, just for increased insanity.

This. Hopefully Sanchez will beat Hughes cause a fight with Condit would be a really good and entertaining fight. Plus it'd make sense in terms of rankings in the division. With Fitch likely to fight BJ again and Shields/Ellenberger, I think Condit VS the winner of Hughes/Sanchez would be good. If Rick Story didn't lose then I would say have Condit/Story.

This. Hopefully Sanchez will beat Hughes cause a fight with Condit would be a really good and entertaining fight. Plus it'd make sense in terms of rankings in the division. With Fitch likely to fight BJ again and Shields/Ellenberger, I think Condit VS the winner of Hughes/Sanchez would be good. If Rick Story didn't lose then I would say have Condit/Story.

Yeah, Condit/Story could have even worked as a contender's match-up depending on how dominant Story's victory would have been.

The only wrench I see in Condit/Diego is that they're both from Jackson's, but I distinctly remember Condit going on the record as saying he would face a teammate if it was a title-relevant match (which makes sense, seeing as GSP is also from Jackson's >_>). Hopefully that extends to contender fights, and not strictly title matches.

Yeh I remember Guillard talking recently saying if he had to he'd fight Guida if it was for a title shot or for the title. Which tbh I think more fighters should do if it ever comes to that situation. I mean you wouldn't wanna sidestep a chance for a title and let someone else have it.

I'm sure most people have said they will fight for the title against a team mate, it's just Rashad and Bones that had to be difficult, hell, the Overeem brothers said they'd fight each other.

Yeah. Welterweight in particular stands out as a division where a bunch of the top guys all go to the same camps - Jackson's has GSP, Sanchez and Condit, AKA has Koscheck, Fitch and I think Rumble also goes there, and then there's Shields and Diaz with Gracie. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some guys.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

I'm sure most people have said they will fight for the title against a team mate, it's just Rashad and Bones that had to be difficult, hell, the Overeem brothers said they'd fight each other.

Rashad and Bones did a lot to hype their fight by being difficult though, it made it seem much more important.

I would pay very good money to see that fight regardless of Valentjin's relevance in MMA these days, a fight between brothers from experience and what I've seen growing up are always the most violent and entertaining, and for what I've heard of Golden Glory's training style, I'd just expect to see one another stand and trade until the other goes to sleep.