The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Those games weren't as good as everyone said they were. I mean they're cool concept games with a fantastic atmosphere... but as actual games, I lost interest 4/5 Colossi in. I bet they were awesome at the time, but to anyone picking them up now, I didn't find them to hold up to the myth.

Those games weren't as good as everyone said they were. I mean they're cool concept games with a fantastic atmosphere... but as actual games, I lost interest 4/5 Colossi in. I bet they were awesome at the time, but to anyone picking them up now, I didn't find them to hold up to the myth.

:crying:

I really like them both, personally, but I approached them with a certain degree of scepticism, given that they're often cited as masterpieces by a fairly small, but vocal fanbase. Both have their frustrations, particularly Ico, and it seems as though they tend to have been forgotten about in some circles, but the big moments in both games made up for it, at least for me.

Falling off a Colossus and into a stretch of water several times over can be a real pain, and it's quite clear to me why it would put some people off, but when you're scaling a giant beast, clinging on for dear life as it frantically shakes you in every which direction, there's very little that matches the hectic dynamism in any game. Again, it's all a matter of personal taste, but I'm glad that more players will be able to at least give these games a look without going out of their way to drop extra cash on them at the local high street retailer or whatnot.

• Like 2

Thats the question though, should a game pamper you from start to end and make you feel like a hero while you actually archive very little or should it deliver a challenge as well. I was just listening to a Podcast on the Souls series on a train ride today and one of the guys talking told how he wanted to trade in gouls and ghosts (?) for the NES or SNES when he was 13 because he felt the game was loosing all it´s appeal by unlimited continues. (he had a hard time explaining that to the shop clerk)
I personally like that we have sort of a comeback of hard games. If you master one of the Souls games and go back to playing Skyrim you sort of realize what a joke that combat system is. And what would be left of SoC if you took away that the Collossi are a big challenge?

I just started playing Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. This should be a fun ride.

A lot of my friends who tackled this either dropped our after a few hours or a few weeks. I fell in the former category, but there are still a few peeps I know who are still wrapped up tight in NNK.

Side thought: Not calling this NNK again. Makes it sound like Mr. Mackey with a stuffed nose.

Ni no Kuni is fucking wonderful. If you're even the slightest fan of JRPGs, you'll probably love it. I beat it and did most of the extra game stuff, outside of the pointless grinding like Alchemize 250 items for a trophy.

Ni No Kuni just went down to 39 dollars but I'm friggin' broke and have a mountain of games anyways. Gah.

Just wait. I've seen it around $35 and it'll probably be around $20 before the new systems hit. Knock out the shorter games first, then go after the 100-hour JRPG.

I think so. It's in a similar position to Sleeping Dogs last year. Popular title, will probably be at a good sale price for the holidays.

I don't know if it's quite the same, from what I understand Sleeping Dogs didn't really sell quite so well, where as Ni no Kuni has been a pretty decent hit. It was pretty rare to find on disk for a while after release.