The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

So, I'm getting a PS3 today. I think the only game I'm getting with today is Dark Souls. It's going to mostly be a Netflix and YouTube machine, but I'm looking to pick up another couple of games. This is my first of the current (dying?) generation of consoles (except the Wii, but that doesn't count).

Any suggestions?

Depends what sort of games you like, I've been having tons of fun with the MGS HD collection lately. Heavy Rain is fantastic for interactive movie stuff and God Of War is awesome action hack and slash nonsense. Uncharted games are phenomenal mix of action and storytelling as well.

Oh, I played through Heavy Rain when I lived with a guy with a PS3! It seemed like more of a movie than a game to me. The Uncharted games sound like they could be what I'm looking for.

To give some context, my favorite game of all time is Psychonauts -- its the perfect blend of storytelling and fun, creative platforming and puzzles.

The PS3 has a great collection of platformers at a cheap as hell price - the Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter series all both 3 packs of games at discount prices out along with PS3 sequels. That was actually a big part of me getting the system again as I miss those kinds of games. There's nothing as adventure-gamey there or as funny as Psychonauts.. but hey, at least that's available as a downloadable PS2 Classic.

At the same time - Rayman Origins is an amazing platformer for up to four people that's very much a non-Nintendo version of the New Super Mario Bros games. It's so friggin' fun, beautiful and well done.

Otherwise I'm really enjoying some of the PSN titles and PS Classics that are available on the store.

Finaly caved in and got a PSP. e1004 model, 40€ with six games and barly used acording to the seller (old games i assume).

I hope i can still generate some cash from the games it comes with since i only want to use it for the PSone games i own on PSN... and maybe persona 3 and Corps Party.

$T2eC16VHJGIFFogWHgwYBReq8BWIzQ~~60_12.J

Re: Blood Dragon

Holy fucking awesome. The people doing this obviously have a love and understanding of this kind of stuff. Holy crap.

That's all I needed to hear.

Solid review.

Also, LD, I highly recommend Playstation Plus. It comes to costing about $5/month if you pay for the biggest subscription and you get well over that much money in free games and discounts.

Re: Blood Dragon

Holy fucking awesome. The people doing this obviously have a love and understanding of this kind of stuff. Holy crap.

That's all I needed to hear.

Solid review.

Also, LD, I highly recommend Playstation Plus. It comes to costing about $5/month if you pay for the biggest subscription and you get well over that much money in free games and discounts.

Aye - it's a good play all around so far. I mean, you're obviously in a more mission based structure with less to do - but you can still free roam, take up side missions and look for collectables.

I'll be getting all stars too. Played offline with buddies copy and loved it.

You can play that online Vita versus PS3 can't you?

In as far as I know.

It is cross play

I got the Vita version a while ago. I haven't played it much because I don't know anyone locally who has it, would be fun to do some more multiplayer stuff.

Can't wait to pick up Soul Sacrifice tomorrow.

Persona 2 on PSN :o

Persona 2 on PSN :o

Really? Awesome!

How is Persona 2? How does it compare to 3/4?

It's very different in that it plays more like a typical JRPG in that you have no overall time limit and more of a game world to explore. It's also the only one in the series to have all the main characters as adults. There's also a LOT of zany dialogue, especially in the trademark game mechanic of the first two Persona games: Diplomacy with the demons. Yes, you can parlay with them to either get them to fuck off or give you aid, though it can also end up with them just getting pissed at you. In the first game you picked a character and an action, this time each character has their own action (The main character, for example, is a reporter so she offers to interview the demon). But you can also COMBO in the parlay, which leads to more options in diplomacy. One of the combos for example is asking a demon to judge a beauty contest. ("The goodness of a woman is not just in her bra!"- Actual in-game quote).

God damn, I was always think I'll jump in on the Persona series, but I keep hearing different points about when.

First I hear that 3 isn't as good as 4 and 4 is great, but you won't have anywhere to go from there but down. So maybe 3, I think. But 3 not being as solid as 4 then puts me off it. Now I find out that 2 is on the PSN and more of a typica JRPG, which would probably make it easier to jump into. FFS guys. Just stop it and tell me where to start playing. :(

How much is it, by the way? I take it it's only on US PSN, in which case I'll need to decide if it's worth the hassle of waiting for the guy on ebay to send me the code.