The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

There is a time limit. Unless I am remembering it incorrectly, you have to get as far as you can in the tower before the next full moon?

And TKz, you just have to balance raising your social links (hanging otu with people) and going into the tower to grind (but don't get sick/exhausted)

Every full moon the monsters come out to play and you'll have to fight them. The rest of the month you spend the day at school (usually with 1 or 2 little interaction things), after school you can generally hang out with someone or join/go to a club and then in the evening you can study, go out into town to buy stuff, go to sleep early or go into the tower with your team to fight the monsters. That way you get higher up the tower which, I believe, is quite important.

You get a year of game time.

I just like spending as much time as possible (sadly only a day a week or so) with the sports coach Yuko.

61-Persona3-16-163.jpg

Kaz is alright too (the Kendo guy) but a lot of the other characters around school (excluding your team) are kinda annoying.

Monster 1 + Monster 2= Monster 3

There is more science to it, but I don't understand it :shifty:

Just try to make sure that Monster 3 ends up being a arcana that you have a social link for.

EX: If you are friends Yuko, the sports coach (my first love in that game <3), you will be building up the strength arcana. If Monster 3 is of the strength arcana when you fuse, it will be much more powerful (and require less grinding).

An easy arcana to go for is The Tower, which you get from the drunk monk at night at the bar. Very easy, because you only have to balance him + studying + going to grind at night.

Yeah, there's a time limit, but not a particularly restraining one. I never felt much pressure to complete anything dungeon-wise (especially in 4 because the only difficulty is SP management). Social Links are the real time management challenge, everything else is challenging in the combat difficulty sense (though the SMT games are about fifty times harder).

The PS1 Persona games have no overall time limit as I said before, but presents a challenge of it's own as now you are grinding AND gaining new Persona through parlays (and in Persona 2 parlays are done more because you don't get a Persona by parlay, you get parts for one. Once you figure out how an enemy reacts to parlay options it's not as hard though. Oh, and there's certain enemies you can't parlay with (boss battles, of course, but also any Zombie character... and in Persona 2, if you see a Zombie Kamikaze, KILL IT WITH HAMA because one of it's special attacks is the equivalent of Explosion in Pokemon)

Edited by OctoberRavenO

Monster 1 + Monster 2= Monster 3

There is more science to it, but I don't understand it :shifty:

Well the Arcana of the Monsters 1 and 2 will typically determine the Arcana of Monster 3, and there's certain combinations that will make a unique Monster 3 (One of the most powerful Persona in the game, Lucifer, can only be gained through fusing two specific Persona who are both powerful in their own right)

I'm not fussed about the Persona series at all, but we got the special edition vinyl soundtracks in today and goddamn it, I wish I'd preordered it. It's bright yellow!

Admittedly, I have no idea what the soundtrack actually sounds like, but from the sleeve I'm going to assume it's mostly 80s synth.

A big piece of advice for building social links is to carry a Persona of the arcana of the link you want to work on that particular day. It helps out! I made the mistake of just letting some stall out because I never carried a Persona of that arcana but still tried to raise the link almost every day; in the process others totally stalled out.

There's a lot of "getting used to it" with this game. And if you're like me you'll play a month or two (game time) and put it down for a few days/weeks since it can get repetitive. Keep in mind when playing it I always found myself getting through a month in about 2-3 days. It's damn addictive, but to keep it fresh I recommend the breaks. It definitely worked for me.

Man I need like a let's play or something of this so I can learn how the hell to play the damn game.

http://lparchive.org/Persona-3/

I hope you EU PS+'ers who haven't played Demons Souls before download it so that I can revel in your Ruki-esque tears of anger and frustration.