NFL 2018

Lineker

Sean McDermott took the Bills to the playoffs for the first time in nearly 20 years.  That will keep you around through a down year.

• Like 1

I’m not surprised by the tweet.  It’s Chuck Modiano.  His job pretty much exclusively seems to be calling the NFL out for racism.  He was okay with Marvin finally being let go, but said the other three were all set up to fail.

I actually agree that Wilks didn’t get a fair chance for the reasons I’d mentioned earlier.  But Modiano says that the Jets and Broncos would’ve been playoff contenders had they kept Bridgewater and signed Kaepernick, respectively. 

Last year when the Eli/Gene Smith debacle happened, he said anyone who doesn’t think Geno deserved a chance to prove he can be the long-term starter is racist.

22 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Their defense was still middle-of-the-pack this year. However their offense was historically bad, something like the 3rd worst by DVOA since 1986. That's a step back, but when you dig into the numbers it's not shocking given the number of injuries. Also their offense was also terrible last year despite being (outside of David Johnson) healthier. They were a team whose record was better than they actually were last year, and this year a team with a record probably a bit worse than they were despite the horrid offense.

When a team is going nowhere and bloated with bad contracts and zero direction, as the Cardinals are, you probably want to at least have some continuity. The Raiders and the 49ers have only set themselves back by tossing coaches aside after one year. The other franchises that have one-and-done coaches (Washington, the Jets, Jacksonville) don't exactly stand out as examples of organizational superiority either.

13 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Patrick Peterson is still one of the top corners in the league, but fair enough. I'm not trying to say the roster is brilliant or anything, and the Offense particularly is laughable but Wilks, a defensive coach, has seen our Defense decline in performance this year and I believe on that side of the ball we haven't done ourselves justice.

I know firing coaches after one year isn't a common thing in the NFL and I'm not really one for advocating it happening, but I don't believe Wilks was the right hire and I don't believe we would improve enough under him if he were to stay. It was a mistake last year by Keim to bring him in.

To be fair, I don't follow the Cardinals that closely, so I'm probably missing details, but they were, at best, the third team in their division coming in to the year, and I probably would have had them fourth behind a healthy 49ers, so finishing with the worst record wasn't out of the realm for what I would have expected from them. I don't really care either way about Wilks, but the fastest way to stay bad is start cycling coaches. Not great for a rookie QB, either, and Josh Rosen is my boy, so...

5 hours ago, TCO said:

Also, you're going to call out Beckham for his look when Zeke does interviews looking like this?

Image result for ezekiel elliott interview after the game

Guys like this make the NFL entertaining. As long as they're not being bad team mates let them be who they want to be. I think Antonio Brown has certainly crossed the line now.

Zeke just out here with the throwback 90s college football look.

3 hours ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

1 hour ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

I’m not surprised by the tweet.  It’s Chuck Modiano.  His job pretty much exclusively seems to be calling the NFL out for racism.  He was okay with Marvin finally being let go, but said the other three were all set up to fail.

I actually agree that Wilks didn’t get a fair chance for the reasons I’d mentioned earlier.  But Modiano says that the Jets and Broncos would’ve been playoff contenders had they kept Bridgewater and signed Kaepernick, respectively. 

Last year when the Eli/Gene Smith debacle happened, he said anyone who doesn’t think Geno deserved a chance to prove he can be the long-term starter is racist.

Marvin had his run, and Wilks probably deserved a longer leash. Anyone who saw that game against Oakland knows the Broncos gave up on Vance Joseph, so you couldn't reasonably bring him back. I think Bowles could have gone either way.

4 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I don't care if Vance Joseph was purple, the man looked like he was trying to do calculus in his head anytime there was an important, game-altering decision to be made. 

Having the time of your life makes it really hard to be good at clock management, what with time flying and all.

17 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

So, of all the head coaches fired so far, who's most likely and least likely to get hired as a head coach again soon?

I feel pretty confident that Gase and McCarthy could both be on the sidelines as early as next year. Most of these guys are headed back to being coordinators or position coaches though, and probably not getting another shot again. Wilks didn't get a fair shake in Arizona and could probably be a head coach again in just a few years, I don't feel like Vance Joseph is ever getting another shot. Nobody is ever make Koetter a head coach again, he's the least likely.

2 hours ago, Meacon said:

I don't care if Vance Joseph was purple, the man looked like he was trying to do calculus in his head anytime there was an important, game-altering decision to be made. 

Breaking news: Meacon wants Thanos to coach the Broncos next year. You heard it here first!

30 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Breaking news: Meacon wants Thanos to coach the Broncos next year. You heard it here first!

Silly @Meacon, the Broncos only have three rings.

Also, I was thinking, if the Cardinals went and signed Mike McCarthy, that might actually save the move somewhat. I think a change of scenery could do him good and he can develop Josh Rosen.

I'd be happy if Gase ended up being our OC. I have feeling he'll get a HC job though. 

10 hours ago, DMN said:

Silly @Meacon, the Broncos only have three rings.

Also, I was thinking, if the Cardinals went and signed Mike McCarthy, that might actually save the move somewhat. I think a change of scenery could do him good and he can develop Josh Rosen.

Part of my initial thinking in them firing Wilks after one year was that they had already lined up a deal with someone like McCarthy.

7 hours ago, Lineker said:

I don't think the problem was ever really that people thought he'd actually hit her, my understanding (and I could be wrong because I could give a fuck about Reuben Foster and never really looked) was that he probably hadn't, and his total lack of intelligence in terms of continuing to consort with her leading to her claiming it again was the reason the 49ers cut him. Didn't they basically say they 'could no longer trust his judgement'? He also had legal issues in college. He's just kind of a dumbass.

• Like 3

• Admin

The Associated Press 2018 NFL All-Pro team selected by a national panel of 50 media members:

FIRST TEAM

OFFENSE

Quarterback: Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs

Running Back: Todd Gurley, Los Angeles Rams

Flex: Tyreek Hill, Kansas City Chiefs

Tight End: Travis Kelce, Kansas City Chiefs

Wide Receivers: Michael Thomas, New Orleans Saints; DeAndre Hopkins, Houston Texans

Left Tackle: David Bakhtiari, Green Bay Packers

Right Tackle: Mitchell Schwartz, Kansas City Chiefs

Left Guard: Quenton Nelson, Indianapolis Colts

Right Guard: Zack Martin, Dallas Cowboys

Center: Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles

DEFENSE

Edge Rushers: J.J. Watt, Houston Texans; Khalil Mack, Chicago Bears

Interior Linemen: Aaron Donald, Los Angeles Rams; Fletcher Cox, Philadelphia Eagles

Linebackers: Luke Kuechly, Carolina Panthers; Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks; Darius Leonard, Indianapolis Colts

Cornerbacks: Kyle Fuller, Chicago Bears; Stephon Gilmore, New England Patriots

Safeties: Eddie Jackson, Chicago Bears; Derwin James, Los Angeles Chargers

Defensive Back: Desmond King, Los Angeles Chargers

SPECIAL TEAMS

Placekicker: Justin Tucker, Baltimore Ravens

Punter: Michael Dickson, Seattle Seahawks

Kick Returner: Andre Roberts, New York Jets

Punt Returner: Tarik Cohen, Chicago Bears

Special Teamer: Adrian Phillips, Los Angeles Chargers

SECOND TEAM

OFFENSE

Quarterback: Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints

Running Back: Ezekiel Elliott, Dallas Cowboys

Flex: Christian McCaffrey, Carolina Panthers

Tight End: George Kittle, San Francisco 49ers

Wide Receivers: Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons; Tyreek Hill, Kansas City Chiefs

Left Tackle: Duane Brown, Seattle Seahawks; Terron Armstead, New Orleans Saints

Right Tackle: Ryan Ramczyk, New Orleans Saints

Left Guard: Joel Bitonio, Cleveland Browns

Right Guard: Marshal Yanda, Baltimore Ravens

Center: Maurkice Pouncey, Pittsburgh Steelers

DEFENSE

Edge Rushers: Von Miller, Denver Broncos; Cameron Jordan, New Orleans Saints; Myles Garrett, Cleveland Browns; Danielle Hunter, Minnesota Vikings

Interior Linemen: Chris Jones, Kansas City Chiefs; J.J. Watt, Houston Texans

Linebackers: Von Miller, Denver Broncos; C.J. Mosley, Baltimore Ravens; Leighton Vander Esch, Dallas Cowboys

Cornerbacks: Byron Jones, Dallas Cowboys; Xavien Howard, Miami Dolphins

Safeties: Jamal Adams, New York Jets; Harrison Smith, Minnesota Vikings

Defensive Back: Derwin James, Los Angeles Chargers

SPECIAL TEAMS

Placekicker: Aldrick Rosas, New York Giants

Punter: Johnny Hekker, Los Angeles Rams

Kick Returner: Cordarrelle Patterson, New England Patriots

Punt Returner: Desmond King, Los Angeles Chargers

Special Teamer: Cory Littleton, Los Angeles Rams

1 hour ago, It's Pronounced Zoom-E said:

Ertz puts up the most receptions by a TE ever and still can't get All-Pro!? 

Kelce and then Kittle both broke the record for most receiving yards by TE in a season. Not to mention Ebron being 2nd in the league in receiving TDs. All 4 couldn't make it so 2 of them were getting snubbed.