Euro 2020(1)

Lineker

Just now, damshow said:

Maybe I'm just not grasping the new interpretation but the understanding I had was it has to be extended and not in a natural place but what I saw his arm was just in front of his face, which the ball would've hit instead.

It wasn't directly in front of his face, more up and to the side. The UK commentator stated it for me - the players should know that you can't or shouldn't throw your arms up when jumping in a wall, as the moment it hits your hands, you are liable to give away a penalty as you can't really claim 'natural position' unless it is literally about to blast you in the face (I guess), which this one wasn't.

2 minutes ago, damshow said:

Maybe I'm just not grasping the new interpretation but the understanding I had was it has to be extended and not in a natural place but what I saw his arm was just in front of his face, which the ball would've hit instead.

It wasn't really, it was stretched out in front of his team mates face. Harsh to an extent as it just hits the guy if there's no hand there, but he really shouldn't have had his arm there.

3 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Yeah, VAR is not perfect, but it's so refreshing to see how non-EPL referees are much better at utilizing VAR. There's hardly been a bad decision all tournament so far. 

Dale Johnson pointed out that really it should be better than most domestic leagues just due to the number of games. You've got 10 PL games a weekend so you need pretty much twice as many refs as usual, some of whom will be shite. For a tournament like this when you've got top refs from all over the world it should be better.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Colly said:

It wasn't really, it was stretched out in front of his team mates face. Harsh to an extent as it just hits the guy if there's no hand there, but he really shouldn't have had his arm there.

It was the old Arsenal wall routine, if you're scared of being hit in the face don't be there. Not quite a full Fabregas but if you're putting arms in front of faces that's always going to be a penalty, especially with VAR able to flag it now.

He need to read the room next time that Ronnie Whelan. 

• Like 2