Euro 2020(1)

Lineker

4 hours ago, damshow said:

Turkey have just been an absolute disappointment.

Yilmaz gave me hope for them, but he couldn't even get on the scoresheet. Dreadful stuff. I'm glad the fans have at least had a lovely goal to celebrate, even if it is in consolation.

4 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

Think we can all scrap the idea of Turkey being a potential dark horse in the tournament and just realising they may be a bit poo

Can Scotland apply to be dark horses now?

19 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Italy are the first team ever to win their 3 group matches at the Euro's whilst also keeping 3 clean sheets.

I found this hard to believe, but then I remembered the group stage didn't exist until 1980. Still an impressive fact.

I think Wales can be happy with the result, Italy have been merciless and clinical when they want to be. I really wasn't expecting this squad to be this good.

Thankfully not. I really hate the 3rd place nonsense but it does throw up some interesting scenarios. A draw here likely guarantees both qualification, but not definitely so they're going for it. A win for either of them though means that Portugal could probably get away with a draw against France, otherwise it might be a bit tasty.

Makes a mockery of the "last group games played together" approach when other groups have influence over qualification...

That was in reference to Ukraine Austria playing out a draw. Ruddy people doing posts.

11 minutes ago, Colly said:

Thankfully not. I really hate the 3rd place nonsense but it does throw up some interesting scenarios. A draw here likely guarantees both qualification, but not definitely so they're going for it. A win for either of them though means that Portugal could probably get away with a draw against France, otherwise it might be a bit tasty.

Makes a mockery of the "last group games played together" approach when other groups have influence over qualification...

That was in reference to Ukraine Austria playing out a draw. Ruddy people doing posts.

One of the few problems with the current and otherwise perfect 32-team World Cup format is that there are a few too many meaningless matches on the final days of the group stages. As far as I can tell the Netherlands-North Macedonia match today is the lone meaningless fixture in the entire tournament. Unless I'm forgetting one.

And even that "meaningless fixture" is still intriguing as it's Goran Pandev's final international match.

8 hours ago, Lineker said:

Bloody Londoners. :angry:

47 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Ben Chilwell and Mason Mount are isolating after deemed to be close contacts of Billy Gilmour.

Weird, but if they're the only people he has ignored the guidelines for (hugging) then I can see why. I wonder if Billy was tested before the game? Strange one.

Well done to an underwhelming Netherlands, never saw 9 points on the card after their first game. Austria celebrating like they won the cup is a bit embarrassing.

3 minutes ago, damshow said:

I think if you're Austria this is fair to celebrate. Making it out of the group stages for the first time ever is a big accomplishment. Especially since Italy is going to destroy you on Saturday. 

But they probably shouldn't have done it on the pitch, saved it for the locker room.

I mean, if they beat Italy I would understand that type of celebration. At the moment they look like they're on the way to the slaughterhouse.

They just accomplished something for the first time in their history. I get it. Who cares if they're going to lose to Italy, they've still never got this far in a tournament before and want to enjoy the moment.

• Like 5

Yeah, fair play to Austria I say. Getting through is a big deal, especially for the first time ever. I don’t see them beating Italy, but should they set up to frustrate them, it should be the toughest test so far for the Italians.

• Like 1