Formula One 2020

Lineker

Hanoi (Vietnam) has been dropped for 2021, and likely permanently, after corruption charges were filed against one of the organisers.

Imola, Istanbul and Portimao are already being considered to replace it. Not Mugello though, for some reason.

Meanwhile Interlagos' future is likely to be confirmed as a go-ahead, with the Rio "let's just move these trees out of the way" track still awaiting environmental confirmation, which will be a struggle.

It may well be that the only grand prixs ever held on the Hanoi circuit are in F1 2020.

23 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Racing at Hanoi in this year's F1 game might end up being a unique experience. Based solely on that, it probably wouldn't have made for much of an exciting race. It feels like another Monaco.

I was so terrible at Hanoi. Kept crashing into walls in the first half and couldn't get a good rhythm the second half.

• Admin

The governor of Sao Paulo has revealed that a new five-year deal has been reached in order for Formula 1 to remain at Interlagos.

Brazil’s Formula 1 future had been uncertain amid attempts to move the event from Sao Paulo to a yet-to-be-constructed facility on the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro for 2021.

The proposed new complex, set to be built in Deodoro, had received the support of the country’s President but had faced criticism due to environmental concerns.

Interlagos, the permanent home of Formula 1’s Brazilian Grand Prix since 1990, was out of contract after the 2020 event, which did not take place owing to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Earlier this week Formula 1’s provisional 23-round calendar listed a mid-November event at Interlagos though this remained subject to a new agreement.

In a press conference held on Thursday Sao Paulo’s governor João Doria revealed that a new deal had been reached, and will soon be signed, and that the event’s title is set to change to the Sao Paulo Grand Prix from 2021 onwards.

“The Interlagos race track has been confirmed to host F1 over the next five years,” said Doria.

“The contract will be signed by [Sao Paulo] Mayor Bruno Covas and Liberty Media, the holder of F1 rights.

“It is a great victory for the city of Sao Paulo, it is a great victory for the state of Sao Paulo and for Brazil.”

In a slight aimed at rivals that supported Rio de Janeiro’s prospective event, Doria added: “The understandings that we have maintained since last year with Liberty Media were made based on correct instruments, in the existence of a race track that is approved by the drivers, by the teams and that, for more than 30 years, has been the home of the Brazilian Grand Prix.

“We did not make speculations, we did not make artificial projections, we did not promise investments that could not be made.”

Of next year’s planned 23 events the status of the Spanish Grand Prix, held at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, remains subject to a new agreement.

Barcelona was handed a one-year reprieve after its previous contract expired in 2019 but it currently does not have an agreement for 2021.

No venue has yet been determined for the proposed fourth round of the season, due to be held on April 25, following the surprise absence of the Vietnam Grand Prix.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Twist said:

It feels almost inevitable that Max is going to beat Stroll off the line and Stroll is going to respond my lunging into corner 1 and taking them both out the race.

Couldn’t have been more wrong.

What a great race. Supremely impressive drive from Hamilton - and Perez - on those old, old tyres. If you're going to win the World Title, do it like that.

Mad finish as well with Leclerc spinning out of 2nd. Vettel back on the podium after a really solid drive.

Also, Stroll isn't very good, is he?

Just now, Adam said:

What a great race. Supremely impressive drive from Hamilton - and Perez - on those old, old tyres. If you're going to win the World Title, do it like that.

Mad finish as well with Leclerc spinning out of 2nd. Vettel back on the podium after a really solid drive.

Also, Stroll isn't very good, is he?

I think Stroll is a bit shit, but let's be honest here, that first half of the race he drove amazingly well. It all fell apart when they pitted him (and left Perez out?). I feel Racing Point has made some awful decisions this season.

To be fair, they had to pit Stroll because he had burned through his tyres and Perez was easily going to pass him. Of course, a good driver wouldn't have then blistered his brand new inters on their very first lap.

I don't think there's ever been a better manager of tyres than Sergio, 48 laps today is insane. He surely has to have a seat somewhere next year.

• Like 1

It'd be criminal if Perez wasn't in a seat next year.

It was a great race. I'm over the moon for Hamilton. Okay, Formula 1 has been dull during his dominance, but today's drive again showed his ability is more than just the car he has. Considering Lewis could've been on 9 titles now if marginal things had gone differently in 2007 and 2016, he has been far and away the best driver for the vast majority of his 14 years on the track.

• Like 2

I like Lewis Hamilton but the tax thing is highly unethical and the fact it was ever done at all means that it will take a long time to excuse. 

I’m not saying I don’t think Hamilton doesn’t deserve a knighthood, but his dodgy tax affairs shouldn’t be brushed off so easily.

(And the fact that other drivers do it isn’t a defence - they’re all wanks too)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LUKIE said:

I don't know what the tax thing is, but basically if he is not paying his fair share of tax (which pretty much most of the drivers don't) then it is inexcusable.

Define fair share?

He is one of the country’s top 5000 individual tax payers. His Mercedes salary is taxed in the U.K., he’s paid more tax in the U.K. than most of us will make gross in our lives.

If he isn’t paying as much tax as people maybe think he should be it’s because he is exploiting loopholes that rich MPs have legislated to protect their wealth (and their mates, obvs).

The issue here shouldn’t be with Lewis (unless he has actually broken the law, in which case I’d need to review my position). The issue should be with the system that allows the exploitation and the people that created it.